1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
140 Posts
Same thing happened to me, the two rear most bolts go into captive nuts moulded into the the plastic guard. The nut was spinning in the plastic, I drilled the head of the bolt off then held the nut through the plastic with locking pliers and undid it. I then glued the nut back into the plastic with Super glue and assembled with the parts from Evotech, when you are assembling you'll notice the two forward bolts are large enough to carry the weight on their own.

Shitty problem and not an ideal fix but the damage to the guard is already done so you may as well push on.

I hope that all makes sense and is helpful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Same thing happened to me, the two rear most bolts go into captive nuts moulded into the the plastic guard. The nut was spinning in the plastic, I drilled the head of the bolt off then held the nut through the plastic with locking pliers and undid it. I then glued the nut back into the plastic with Super glue and assembled with the parts from Evotech, when you are assembling you'll notice the two forward bolts are large enough to carry the weight on their own.

Shitty problem and not an ideal fix but the damage to the guard is already done so you may as well push on.

I hope that all makes sense and is helpful.
Smifff,

Thank-you for the response - glad I'm not the only one that spun those stubborn bolts..

Your explanation is great - I'm going to try taking the entire tail piece off tonight to see if I can access the nut on the other side. If that doesn't work then I'm going to go ahead with your method. I figured the two forward-most bolts will keep it secure but with the amount of vibration I want to do everything I can to keep my plate!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Happy to help, a few others have mentioned the problem too,

I used a pair of long nose locking pliers similar to the attached photo, the long nose reaches in between the black and yellow plastic easily,
195765_1[1].jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again Smifff.

I installed everything and just left the two rearmost bolts as they come from the factory. I wedged the spacers in with a little crazy glue so it's spaced properly and so it doesn't bounce around. Went for a long ride last night and there's no way that thing is coming off. Next time I'm at the dealership I'm going to get them to figure it out and then I'll properly bolt in the back two screws.

Looks awesome, really happy with the result - should have come this way from the factory! I don't really like the LED light shining on the plate so I might just put a piece of electrical tape over it. Too much attention ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts