Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I used to be a Ducati tech, moved away and beefed it on my scrambler pretty hard. When I finally got my head together and my 3 dozen bones mended, I learned my “friend” had taken my insurance claim and finally ordered my parts four months later, after being asked about them. Upon receiving a pile of parts I was told “I thought it would be a good first project for you, to get used to it again.”. Since having hidden the body, I did attempt to put it together. I put about 200 miles on it before the spark plugs backed out. I’d taken them out when I first gotten the bike back to see if it made scary noises when the engine was turned over by hand and subsequently forgotten to torque them in the months I waited for parts. I took this as a sign that I should just suck it up and do the 13-15,000 mile service it was due for anyways. As a result I have the following:

-bike starts and idles okay, but will cut off after 50 feet of riding.
-confirmed spark
-double checked fuel line connections
-swore at some squirrels and chain smoked

The bike sat for a year, but it has a new tank and I figure after the 200 miles the pump and injectors are okay. After the bike cuts off if I wait 30 seconds and start it again it is good for another 50 feet. I’ve read that the fuel lines work in either position, I have the vertical cylinder running to the left side of the fuel tank flange. Bike has new plugs, air filter so I’m open to suggestions. I did put clip ons on the bike and I could be convinced that it’s knackering a throttle sensor reading, but again it worked for 200 miles. Apologies for being so verbose and thank you for your consideration.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew I put 93 octane in it, but it should burn anyway, the filler cap wasn’t entirely seated either. I dumped the tank and put 87 in it and it made it more than 50 feet, sputtering a few times, residual gas I hope. Purgatory is over?! :0

·
Registered
900 Posts
The octane rating of the fuel will not cause that problem. You had a fuel starvation problem maybe a blocked breather hose or even a kinked fuel hose. If you took the tank of the empty the 93 and now it works okay when you have put the tank back on then you have probably cleared the blockage during the tank removal and refit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts