Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

If you read the comments its looks like Henry totalled an engine, not good reading. Max cool did he mention anything to you?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Yes he did mention. The engine failure was basically fallout from a bad diagnosis after Henry told a Ducati tech "something's wrong with my engine". Something with the oil pump. I guess the oil pump drive gear failed/got worn. They just threw in fresh oil and patted him on the back "here you go, bon voyage!"

Until it failed in Texas somewhere. (it's actually a miracle he still got that far after all I know he's has this problem for quite a while).

This whole thing could have been prevented if the first tech he mentioned this to did a proper analysis afaik...

BTW, if you ever plan on replacing your engine, the engines from the Desert Sled and the other Scrambler 800's do not mix and match bikes. The DS engine is wider at the rear...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes he did mention. The engine failure was basically fallout from a bad diagnosis after Henry told a Ducati tech "something's wrong with my engine". Something with the oil pump. I guess the oil pump drive gear failed/got worn. They just threw in fresh oil and patted him on the back "here you go, bon voyage!"

Until it failed in Texas somewhere. (it's actually a miracle he still got that far after all I know he's has this problem for quite a while).

This whole thing could have been prevented if the first tech he mentioned this to did a proper analysis afaik...

BTW, if you ever plan on replacing your engine, the engines from the Desert Sled and the other Scrambler 800's do not mix and match bikes. The DS engine is wider at the rear...
Hopefully I'll never have to replace mine. Bit gutted the engine failed the full trip, Is the oil pump a split crankcase job?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not 100% sure, but I don't think it is.
Max I know your not a Ducati mechanic but do oil pumps immediately fail or is it a gradual decline in performance until it goes pop? if gradual could this be measured via an oil pressure gauge? If yes, How?

·
Registered
733 Posts
The pump can fail gradually - as in wear on the pump teeth or quickly due to a breakage or blockage.

There is already a pressure switch somewhere on the bike - you could T there and run a pipe to a gauge if you wish..

Or just rely on the pressure light... which may (not sure) shuts down the engine with loss of oil pressure..

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The pump can fail gradually - as in wear on the pump teeth or quickly due to a breakage or blockage.

There is already a pressure switch somewhere on the bike - you could T there and run a pipe to a gauge if you wish..

Or just rely on the pressure light... which may (not sure) shuts down the engine with loss of oil pressure..
user19962_pic5745_1470080570.jpg

Think its here where you can plug in a gauge, also looks like the pump can be replaced relatively easyish.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been doing a bit of digging and it seems some of the so called oil pump issues are related to letting the bike stand idling for a long time with a lowish oil level. I know theres only been an extremely small percentage of these issues but it actually made me look at other bikes WTF!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts