Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is the thing , I have not posted for at least 6 months I have a 15 Urban Enduro which I spent about another 3000 on decking it out with better Suspension, seat, handgurads , heated grips, crash bars , wider pegs , etc etc I whated this bike to be my go between Adventure bike so in between my Triumph 1050 Tiger sport and my Suzuki DRZ 400 , long story its a SOFT OFF ROADER like a Toyota Prado handles smooth dirt roads well but anything rutted let down by 150mm off suspension travel ( regardless of how good it is 150mm is still only 150mm ) So I have been considering the Desert Sled way more off road capable than the standard Scrambler " BUT HERE IS THE THING " to major let downs of the Sled
1. Tank is still only 13.5 lt in size ( and Safari have told me they will definitely not be making a larger aftermarket tank ) and
2. The air filter is in the worst place for off road conditions ( down low in front of rear fender ) and changing and cleaning in is a PAIN !
IS THERE ANYONE OUT THEIR THAT HAS THE ANSWER THESE TWO MAJOR PROBLEMS ?
Don't get me wrong I love the handling of the Scrambler in the twisties its fantastic and nice and light , why I'm on this topic will my modified Scrambler seat fit a sled ? and my SM MOTO crash bars ? If I did decide to buy one ? But if not I have a short list of light weight Adventure bikes , Yamaha XT 660 R , Or new SWM 650 Superduel both under 200kg wet both with larger tanks and air filters up height and easy to change ! I WOULD LOVE A FIX TO GETTING A LARGER TANK- NO BLADDER ON FUEL POD AND MODIFIED AIR FILTER LOCATION ( If Ducati done this would be almost the perfect Adventure bike.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
The air filter maybe behind the front wheel but personally I found it much easier to remove than most modern bikes I've worked on for a long time. Something like five screw and it's out. I can't remember where the actual inlet is but I'm sure it's up under the tank but the filter it's self just pops out the front.
I asked Ducati Glasgow the same question about the seat as I want to buy a low DS one for my wifes Classic. They reckon all the DS one will fit the Classic.
Fuel tank, for me 120+ miles between fuel stops is plenty, plus I don't want to carry three tonnes of fuel around at the start.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The filter is just in to low a location ( for river crossings etc ) Not sure were you are from but in Australia in the outback you want at least 300km fuel range the best iv got is around 242kms also when I go for a day ride with mates 300kms is a day ride I'm sure now its a " hipster bike " for riding to coffee shops and drinking lattes ! What I'm saying is not practical

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Then get an Africa Twin... the DS is a very capable bike, a long distance traveller it is not however.

(so much choice out there...)

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
The filter is just in to low a location ( for river crossings etc ) Not sure were you are from but in Australia in the outback you want at least 300km fuel range the best iv got is around 242kms also when I go for a day ride with mates 300kms is a day ride I'm sure now its a " hipster bike " for riding to coffee shops and drinking lattes ! What I'm saying is not practical
I don't recall ever going to a coffee shop on any of my bikes. Maybe I'm just lucky to have fuel stations pop up every thirty miles or so in Europe opposed to the vast outback. My day rides are often 2-3 hundred miles but not in one hit.
The filter on the DS has been raised by apptox three inches compared to the Icon etc. It's also inline with the vertical cylinder's throttle body which is where most bikes have it but at the front of the head instead of the more usual rear. If your going to wade that deep I reckon the horizontal cylinder spark will be lost 1st
Anyway, no matter you seem to have made your mind up. Whatever bikes your mates have will probably be more suitable for the type of use you have in mind.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm in oz too, totally agree about fuel, actually go back to UK / Europe every year and think same there, not that there aren't fuel stations but I don't want to stop and buy fuel every two hours, have better things to do with my time.
Here, it's about running out & pushing
So I'm making a big tank, either from base of orig or complete new one, will post photoshoped ideas soon but far more about capacity than bling, hope for 20 + litres without getting in the way. Once done, more will be possible,
Air intake is actually quite high, if you remove tank you'll see it, far more of a problem for river crossings is fuel tank vent being under engine ! Easily fixed but will drown your bike long before water ingress in filter
Someone on here in Tassy had problems with air filter cover needing sealing, probably good advise for any travellers, bead of sealant will solve that. Waterproof plug caps from jetski cheap as chips.
Don't know if uni make a replacement filter off the shelf but one of their prefilters over orig (or pool filter) for quick change if you ride behind other bikes in the dust would be my thought. Or be in front / leave a gap.
Getting quick release fasteners as easy as fitting them, same as dirt bikes use. Still on your knees, but only for seconds,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts