Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to be 21, I live at the tip of Texas close to the border between Mexico and the U.S. and I've no experience on a motorcycle.

I fell in love with the Ducati Scrambler like many of the folks in this forum, but I find myself ponder if I should purchase a motorcycle now, or not yet.

I do know that I want to make love to the Full Throttle. I don't intend to be driving it off road all the time, but I do know some trails nearby. And I also frequently commute to Mexico, and its roads ... well ... there's hardly any roads in good or proper condition. This is one reason why I prefer a motorcycle with the aspects of a scrambler, unlike a sports-bike or a cruiser. (I've also had my eyes on a dual-sport)

Ok.. so my problem is: The closest Ducati dealer is 280mi/ 450Km in San Antonio or 340mi/ 550Km in Austin. I am thinking... is it worth it to go all the way over there, purchase a bike, maybe ride it back or maybe not. Then for continuous maintenance check-ups, ride back up there? Is it entirely necessary to have the dealer perform the maintenance?

And one other thing... I should probably call, but, do any of you know if there is any chance of finding a pre-owned scrambler? It'll be my first bike ever so I don't mind not being the first one on her.

Thanks,
BlancoWhite

·
2,624 Posts
Welcome to the forum Blanco, and congrats on your 21st Birthday, :cool:

To be honest, If you're not sure whether you want a bike or not, I wouldn't bother :( you need to be committed to riding bikes and they need your attention all the time, nothing like driving a car,
The other thing is, if you intend riding off road all the time you don't need a scrambler, you need a dedicated off road bike, the scramblers not a good choice,IMHO,
I would get something like a 250cc single/twin cylinder Honda, can't think of the model, but there are a lot of better suited bikes out there,
Good luck with whichever way you go,

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Hi Blanco,

If you decide to buy a bike, I'd strongly encourage you to start with something cheap and easy. A used dual-sport would be my pick, just as Elvisto said. You are almost guaranteed to drop your first bike more than you can count, especially if you ride in the conditions you describe. You'll want something easy to pick up, and you'll want something not so new and pretty so it won't break your heart every time you cause a little dent or scratch. Let us know if we can help, and in the meantime check out a couple more forums:

TWT Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Adventure Rider

Both those forums are full of folks on dual sport bikes, so you'll get lots of help there, too. Good luck!

Sarah

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
What's up Blanco?! I am up here in Austin. Welcome to the site.

Talk to Mark or Vito (probably) at DucatiAustin and they will get you set up with all of the information that you need to know. I would not buy and ride a bike home on the interstate due to the need to seat the rings of the motor, but that is just me.

Also, you are going to drop it. Guaranteed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts