Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had their bike idle high on startup? The other day I went to start the bike, it turned over slowly then started up and idled at 2k . It would not drop back down to a normal level until I switched it off and restarted.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Fuel injected bikes all have a fast idle circuit so they idle faster until they warm up but it is not 2000rpm. If it happens again I would get a dealer top check for fault codes in the ECU.

·
Registered
764 Posts
The Scrambler has a servo-motor operated idle control valve which should keep a constant idle speed irrespective of engine temperature. You should hear it reset every time you switch the ignition off. Maybe the valve stuck open or maybe there was a software glitch that a re-start sorted.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to start the bike today, non starter!! Just a pinging sound coming from the ECU area, One LED blinking on the headlight. Battery fully charged.
Help!!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Don't go randomly swapping things if you aren't sure that's the problem.

Get a multimeter (an automatic one can be had very cheaply) and test the voltage across the battery terminals.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Be sure to test the voltage while cranking, just the open voltage hardly tells you anything about the battery's condition...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
100% sure about that?

If so, check the terminals of the battery.

Sounds like it isn't getting enough juice....

:'-(
I fully changed the battery last night
In closer inscription the pinging/ clucking sound is coming from the Mach box sized thingy mounted above the ECU at the back next to the storage compartment. Pugs cong in both sides.
Any idea?

·
Registered
764 Posts
The match box thingy is a relay. There are two of them mounted together behind the ECU. One is the fuel pump relay, the other is the main relay. The fuel pump relay on the Scrambler provides power only to the fuel pump. The main relay provides power to the fuel pump relay, the coils and injectors, the starter solenoid and a feed back to the ECU. If the main relay fails virtually nothing works.
However, the problem is unlikely to be the relay itself. The relay will be chattering (the sound you hear) because of a bad connection. When the relay switches current is drawn by the items which are powered through it. If there is a bad connection the voltage across the relay drops causing it to switch off. The current drain stops and the voltage immediately rises again, so the relay switches on again, the voltage drops, the relay switches off, and so on and so on.....
Check the battery terminals are tight and if you can get at it the battery earth to the frame. Check also the condition of fuse no. 5 (20A) as the power to the main relay comes through it. A bad connection can be due to oxidation on the blades of the fuse. Removing and refitting the fuse a couple of times can wipe this off and restore the connection.
If these checks fail try swapping the 2 relays, they are both the same, and see if there any change.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The match box thingy is a relay. There are two of them mounted together behind the ECU. One is the fuel pump relay, the other is the main relay. The fuel pump relay on the Scrambler provides power only to the fuel pump. The main relay provides power to the fuel pump relay, the coils and injectors, the starter solenoid and a feed back to the ECU. If the main relay fails virtually nothing works.
However, the problem is unlikely to be the relay itself. The relay will be chattering (the sound you hear) because of a bad connection. When the relay switches current is drawn by the items which are powered through it. If there is a bad connection the voltage across the relay drops causing it to switch off. The current drain stops and the voltage immediately rises again, so the relay switches on again, the voltage drops, the relay switches off, and so on and so on.....
Check the battery terminals are tight and if you can get at it the battery earth to the frame. Check also the condition of fuse no. 5 (20A) as the power to the main relay comes through it. A bad connection can be due to oxidation on the blades of the fuse. Removing and refitting the fuse a couple of times can wipe this off and restore the connection.
If these checks fail try swapping the 2 relays, they are both the same, and see if there any change.

I’ve dropped the battery off at the dealership, they are going to do a proper test on it .
I managed to start the bike using my car battery ( engine off) although it started, its a very lazy turn over. I know these are not the best turning over bikes at the best of times, really slow!!

·
Registered
734 Posts
I’ve dropped the battery off at the dealership, they are going to do a proper test on it .
I managed to start the bike using my car battery ( engine off) although it started, its a very lazy turn over. I know these are not the best turning over bikes at the best of times, really slow!!
it does appears then that main problem is a faulty battery. How old is your Scrambler or battery?. How often do you ride the bike?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it does appears then that main problem is a faulty battery. How old is your Scrambler or battery?. How often do you ride the bike?
September 2016, not too old . It’s not my only bike so it doesn’t get ridden every day, however they are connected to Optimate 4 battery tenders when not i use . Not very impressed if it’s the battery!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts