Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

Looking to update the standard Horn on my Icon. Less beep-beep and more honk-honk. I've installed on other bikes before.

Anyone have any recommendations or know of any install issues with thePIAA Sports Horn (click for link on PIAA site)?. Any other options anyone knows of?

Mostly concerned with the wiring harness and if it'll fit as-is "plug and play" - a little bracket bending is always fair game :).

Thanks all!

AK

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't have my bike yet (next week hopefully), but I did check out the horn on the models at the dealership, and the horn was a standard disc on an "L" bracket under the tank on the right side (from memory). Everything was very exposed and it should be trivially easy to upgrade, but the bracket might not be able to carry something as heavy as the PIAA.

What I'm not finding, is an image on google to refresh my memory. After a review of the images of actually owned bikes in the "Scrambler Pictures/Videos" thread, it would seem that there is a plastic cowl that my dealer didn't even bother to put on for their demo models. The cowling would definitely not provide enough room for a much larger horn, but it seems like a pretty optional piece of plastic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Agreed. Mine didn't even come with that plastic cover - it's out in the open with a fair amount of room.

Good like on the bike!!! You're going to love it.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Welcome akod, :) Yes the horn is Rubbish, I'm keeping my eye open for a decent sounding one , or should that be ear, :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: Tried a couple horns as there is not much space in there because of the plastic cover in the front and side (RLG - I was wrong above - that "cowling" is there).

Only the PIAA "Slim Line Sports Horn" #76501 would fit where I could still re-fasten the 3 star-nut bolts that secure the cover (cowling). The key was bending the horn bracket at a right angle as close to the center as possible, with the label pointing down. There is no other way this horn would work unless the bracket was a bit longer.

The Black wire is the (+), attached it to the connector on the horn closest to the bracket. Purple goes below it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A lot louder than stock (~2x easily). My commute is 100% urban so more was better for me at least. It was worth it - took about 45 minutes including all the bending and tinkering. I must've reinstalled the black plastic front right cover 6-7 times to get it just right (was being really careful - too much probably)

If I had to do it again it would be a 10 min job. Easy.

- bend the horn bracket (mentioned above)
- remove the black plastic cover panel (3 star nuts - bigger one up top and 2 smaller ones in the middle and bottom (just next to the horn)
- remove old horn (wires and then horn body at bracket)
- attach wires to new horn (black wire (+) to connector close to the bracket) and be sure to take up the slack as you put the bracket in place so the leads are protected a bit by the frame and not out in the open
- mount the horn with the label facing down - it just won't fit any other way
- reattach black plastic cover. Recommend attaching center star nut first - don't tighten it yet so you have some play - just a few turns for now. Tighten bottom star nut and then top star nut. Finish the middle nut off and you're done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the horn info. I ordered one off amazon. The stock horn is very quiet. Almost laughable.

PIAA has a good thing going. $52.00 for the horn looks very profitable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts