Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. Pretty psyched about the tank and seat upgrades, but it's time to black out that line under the seat, the circle markings near the kickstand, the tail pipe end, and the other part of the tail pipe heat shield. What do you recommend for each? Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your bike looks Great! That combo is awesome. Removal of the parts was really simple. The silver outline under the seat is as easy as 3 clips and some adhesive tape. I am thinking about spraying the plastic "trim black" and calling it good. That way the side panels almost disappear. After feeling the extra weight of the stock exhaust, a slip on seems like a great solution. I sure do love the look of a clear clutch cover, Ducabike makes an awesome kit. Have fun, you are off to a good start.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Nice bike!!
Many have spraypainted the exhaust with very nice results!! A nice high temperature semi gloss or matte black! You’ll just have to remove it to spray it which is quite simple.

The heat shield can be sprayed also......although it would look good to me to have the silver part of the shield match the tank side covers color!!

The seat trim can be removed, and the chrome part sprayed also.....or taped.

I would leave the engine parts for last and consider all options!!

good luck !

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice bike!!
Many have spraypainted the exhaust with very nice results!! A nice high temperature semi gloss or matte black! You’ll just have to remove it to spray it which is quite simple.

The heat shield can be sprayed also......although it would look good to me to have the silver part of the shield match the tank side covers color!!

The seat trim can be removed, and the chrome part sprayed also.....or taped.

I would leave the engine parts for last and consider all options!!

good luck !
Thanks folks! I’ve seen a lot about tree treating before spray painting. Solvents, sanding, etc. What would you say is needed for spray painting? Thanks again!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I’d recommend you watch many YouTube videos on how to spray with a can. You will learn the important basics.
Then go buy any spray paint tomorrow and practice on anything. You can spray a beer can, just about anything you have using the steps you will learn. Until you get a very nice finish.
Surface prep is important..... I rarely sand. I do clean the part with a mild solvent first.
I find distance from the object, applying a few light coats is of great importance including all the other things you will quickly learn online.
Now, I am sure you will go buy a can soon!! Get a shade of black that may be in line with what you want on the bike!! It may be the perfect one!!

:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I sprayed my exhaust heat shield with the 2000 degree hi temp matte black rattle can. I tried the 500 degree first, but the color was too far off. The 2000 degree one was watch closer, still not exact so it's a bit of a two tone vibe, but I'd rather keep the factory paint on the outer shield for durability. The two tone look bothered be as I bolted it on that day, but I haven't given it a thought since the colors are plenty close to look great. All I did was a very light sand, clean, then 4-5 very light coats with about 30-60 minutes between them. I'm no expert, but I find that the easiest way to botch a spray paint job is definitely by going too heavy. As long as I can resist and keep the coats light it usually comes out great.

Great looking bike! The silver parts that haunt me the most still are the handlebar clamps and the fork stanchions. The clamps you can probably just spray, but the stanchions... boy would black stanchions look good on these bikes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your bike looks Great! That combo is awesome. Removal of the parts was really simple. The silver outline under the seat is as easy as 3 clips and some adhesive tape. I am thinking about spraying the plastic "trim black" and calling it good. That way the side panels almost disappear. After feeling the extra weight of the stock exhaust, a slip on seems like a great solution. I sure do love the look of a clear clutch cover, Ducabike makes an awesome kit. Have fun, you are off to a good start.

View attachment 46455
Thanks! Do you need to remove the black panel that that thin silver trim piece is attached to to remove it? And what is “trim black?” What product will you use? I am thinking something between flat and gloss.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks! Do you need to remove the black panel that that thin silver trim piece is attached to to remove it? And what is “trim black?” What product will you use? I am thinking something between flat and gloss.
Yes, the panels need to come off. The strips are held in by three little metal clips on the back and adhesive tape. I only broke one of the six :) Trim black is a product by SEM, it is a go to paint for matching OEM black. I just sprayed mine today with the gloss version of trim black. You can get it at any auto paint shop or online. They look great, it fully cures in 48 hours so I am letting them sit before I re mount them. I am looking for not gloss, but just below it in regards to shine. It’s about perfect!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks folks. They will be dry tomorrow. I did SEM satin black ultra trim paint. Excited
to put them on tomorrow, but I do think flat instead of satin might have matched better.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi!
The colour you have used is known under various names including trim black, semi-gloss black, satin black, low-luster black, and possibly more. They are all meant to be between a gloss and a flat. The frustrating thing is that between the many name brands, they are all slightly different.
I seen some flat blacks that look almost the same as other semi gloss ones.
The one you have used appear quite glossy. Hold them by your bike and decide if you like it. If not, you may want to test another brand.
The exhaust muffler shield might get quite hot. Maybe someone can confirm if you should be using a high temperature paint (?)
Well at least the silver is gone!
Hope it looks good as it is on your bike!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Stefcat. Anyone have an opinion about the future of my non-high-heat pain on the aluminum muffler heat shield? I’ll post a pic after I put them back on tomorrow.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m pleased with the results, but worried about having forgotten about the high heat aspect. What’s going to happen? Is there an insulation tape or some thing I can use on the inside? And it is pretty thick aluminum…

·
Registered
61 Posts
It looks amazing! Great job!

The muffler shield may not get hot enough to damage the paint,
If it does, the paint would peel...
You would have to repaint with a high temp paint..

Have fun.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
It looks amazing! Great job!

The muffler shield may not get hot enough to damage the paint,
If it does, the paint would peel...
You would have to repaint with a high temp paint..

Have fun.
Yep, as simple as that I reckon - don't stress, bike looks good! You should get the pipes powder coated?

·
Registered
4 Posts
That look Awesome! The black accent on the rear panels looks great with the brown seat. Nice Work! In regards to the paint, I was thinking about trying insulating tape just like is on the back of the black top cover. I found it at the auto parts shop. I love the Ducati label on the tank panels, did you do that?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m pleased with the results, but worried about having forgotten about the high heat aspect. What’s going to happen? Is there an insulation tape or some thing I can use on the inside? And it is pretty thick aluminum… View attachment 46557
That looks awesome! If you dont mind me asking, what brand and type of spray paint did you use?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Unfortunately, my favorite paint is no longer sold. I used to buy Orchard Supply Hardware Satin Black by the case. I have not found a suitable replacement.

Your bike looks great, like a whole new bike.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts