Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I pull out of my driveway, I'm in the middle of a lot of great back roads so I haven't been on the highways all that much. I got the impression from these forums that most don't see this as a great bike for the highways. The 2 biggest draw backs to me were the seat and the gearing. I went up a tooth on the front sprocket and that made it a lot more comfortable. I finally sent my comfort seat out to add some padding and build up the front to take out the dip and that really made a difference too. I also have a Givi wind screen which is larger than the dart screens.

Recently I got a job that, for the time being is 60 miles each way and gas is a killer in a Toyota Tundra. I decided to take the bike and found that I actually enjoy riding the highways. Once in a while I get blown around a little but never have been uncomfortable. I've found that at 80 mph I often have to get out of the way as there are so many drivers doing 85 plus but except for the police risk, it's really easy to buzz along at 90 to 100 mph. The wind noise in my helmet sucks but all in all it's been fun. I never figured I'd be doing this at 61. I wondering what you other Scrambler riders have found.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've left the gearing stock, my highway "cruise" speed is 75-80 and I don't have a problem with how it's geared, I've had this thing well over a hundred to see what it would do.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
We vacation on our bikes, Grand Canyon last summer and PEI and Nova Scotia this year. I swapped out the seat and handlebars and added a windscreen and think the bike tours very well. I'll gear up when it's time for chain and sprockets though, 5th and 6th feel very much alike to me.

Sarah

·
Registered
424 Posts
Dart flyscreen, modified seat, stock gearing, silicone earplugs, 68 years old.

Above 70mph the wind actually smooths out.
Just did 550 miles with 3 pitstops in 8.5 hours to ride in the mountains for a few days. Did it again on the ride home. 120 mile round trip is nothing. You don't even need to refuel.

I usually start looking for a good fuel stop at 140 miles on a tank, when super-slabbing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I commute on freeways with no complaints. I finally sprung for a Shuberth helmet. Almost no wind noise now, but I still wear ear plugs for long trips. I have the "comfort" seat. This winter, I'll have it redone by a local shop.

·
Registered
278 Posts
In my experience the worst speed handling test is passing a car-carrier in a hard crosswind at around 80 mph. The Scrambler handles it just fine. I have had bikes that would scare the bejesus out of you.

I've decided to leave the gearing alone as it seems to work fine on interstates as well as fire-roads.

I've also decided to fork out the money for a Russell sport seat this winter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Urban Enduro is fine at 85 mph on the highway (motorways and dual carriageways) with just a Dart screen. Always wear earplugs though. Always searching for 7th gear, so might go down 2 teeth on rear sprocket. Only hesitating because I think 1st is already quite high. Has anyone raised the gearing without issues?

·
Registered
76 Posts
My Urban Enduro is fine at 85 mph on the highway (motorways and dual carriageways) with just a Dart screen. Always wear earplugs though. Always searching for 7th gear, so might go down 2 teeth on rear sprocket. Only hesitating because I think 1st is already quite high. Has anyone raised the gearing without issues?
I'm aware of several of us that went up a tooth on the front. This made the gearing spot on for me. It's a cheap and easy mod. There are a couple of threads in addition to the one that Sarah gave you. Do a quick search.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm still on break-in, but the FT works fine on the highway other than for the seating position and the gearing.

Since I don't ride off-road at all, the gearing is way too low in stock trim for me. I'm changing sprockets to 16/45T, raising gearing 9% overall. That should give me a much more useful first through third, and a nice overdrive sixth. If that's not high enough, I'll drop the rear down to 43T to net 12% higher gearing. For my riding, the Scrambler's mid-range tuned engine will pull just fine with either of those gearing changes.

The Full Throttle's pegs and seat are in about the right places, even better with the Comfort Seat fitted, but the bars are too wide (33") and too close. I have a long torso ... at 60mph I'm a parachute in the wind the way it is stock. So I'm fitting much lower rise, narrower bars (Rizoma MA006B) that place the grips 28" apart and forward/down about 2-3". Once I have that setup in place, I'll decide whether I also want a small wind deflector ... it may not be needed.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since I don't ride off-road at all, the gearing is way too low in stock trim for me. I'm changing sprockets to 16/45T, raising gearing 9% overall. That should give me a much more useful first through third, and a nice overdrive sixth. If that's not high enough, I'll drop the rear down to 43T to net 12% higher gearing. For my riding, the Scrambler's mid-range tuned engine will pull just fine with either of those gearing changes.

The Full Throttle's pegs and seat are in about the right places, even better with the Comfort Seat fitted, but the bars are too wide (33") and too close. I have a long torso ... at 60mph I'm a parachute in the wind the way it is stock. So I'm fitting much lower rise, narrower bars (Rizoma MA006B) that place the grips 28" apart and forward/down about 2-3". Once I have that setup in place, I'll decide whether I also want a small wind deflector ... it may not be needed.[/QUOTE]

I think you captured most of what i thought about my scrambler. The gearing thing has been discussed to death. I've been traveling 60 miles each way to work and it ranges from 80 up to 100 mph with intermittent stop and go. i went up a tooth on the front sprocket and it feels right to me. For me, 1st is a little to low and 2nd & 3rd are fine when your on the gas but when you have to lug it between 10 and 20 mph in traffic it hard.. I thought th16 tooth got it right to where i like it. As if said previouly, the comfort seat is a rock so i had padding added to it. I also had them build up the dip in the front and that made a huge difference as I'm 6'1. I also added SW-MOTECH On-Road/Off-Road Convertible Foot Peg Kit from twisted throttle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts