Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a 2015 Full Throttle. I have a Danmoto XG1 exhaust and this weekend im putting in the MWR airbox mod. I have my 7500 service and need a rear tire so I cant afford the rexxer at the moment. Can the booster plug be of use until then?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've been told the data from the booster plug is cancelled out by the lambda sensors. Opinions are divided but we have yet to see a measured difference. There are those who claim to sense a difference but judging by the amount of used booster plugs for sale, I draw my own conclusions.

If you are going to get a Rexxer later anyway, I suggest you save your money until then.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've been told the data from the booster plug is cancelled out by the lambda sensors.
That's only true for closed loop operation. Warm engine, steady throttle, light to mild load.

As soon as you're in open loop the Booster pug does matter. Apparently softens the shift from closed loop to open loop. Making the engine more drivable.

more info here.

(I have no relationship with these guys, and don't use one. I had a similar plug on my G650X Challenge and actually didn't notice any difference)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I did three things to make my 2015 Classic less jumpy. First up was a smaller rear sprocket at 42t down from 46t which gave it better highway performance and a little less jumpy. Then I put on the Booster plug which is said to affect in "open loop" below ~2500rpm and it made a noticeable difference in jumpiness. Finally I put on the Throttle Tamer which made it really work well.

From what I've read, the problem with slip ons is if they run lean. Since the O2 sensors will prevent this at higher rpm it seems only a problem in the open loop part of the rev range below 2500rpm which the booster plug will resolve. Messes up the temp gage though so if you use that to verify you aren't below freezing (ice) then it may be a problem.

How do you like the Danmoto? They are really cost effective and I've been looking at them for a while. Is it too loud? I want to go up a notch in sound but not blow folks away. Just so they hear me coming when they are texting their girlfriends while supposedly driving.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did three things to make my 2015 Classic less jumpy. First up was a smaller rear sprocket at 42t down from 46t which gave it better highway performance and a little less jumpy. Then I put on the Booster plug which is said to affect in "open loop" below ~2500rpm and it made a noticeable difference in jumpiness. Finally I put on the Throttle Tamer which made it really work well.

From what I've read, the problem with slip ons is if they run lean. Since the O2 sensors will prevent this at higher rpm it seems only a problem in the open loop part of the rev range below 2500rpm which the booster plug will resolve. Messes up the temp gage though so if you use that to verify you aren't below freezing (ice) then it may be a problem.

How do you like the Danmoto? They are really cost effective and I've been looking at them for a while. Is it too loud? I want to go up a notch in sound but not blow folks away. Just so they hear me coming when they are texting their girlfriends while supposedly driving.
Thanks for the reply! I wont have a problem with ice, im in Miami lol. I ordered the booster plug and throttle tame so lets see. As for the Danmoto, I love it. Liked the Termi because of the shotgun design and this has the same. As for loudness its obnoxiously loud. I LOVE it but it may be too loud for most people. People have said its sounds like an old school muscle car and even a Sportster with those vance and hines pipes.

·
Registered
143 Posts
.....I ordered the booster plug and throttle tame so lets see.......
I have neither the booster plug or throttle tamer but I looked hard at both before going the RexXer route. In the interests of research and information, would it be possible and practical for you to install the throttle tamer first and then test ride it before putting the booster plug on? I ask because I have a hunch, based on all the reading I have done on this site, that the throttle tamer will make the most dramatic difference to the snatchy throttle response. Maybe even enough to not require the booster plug. I feel many people would like to know but you are in the rare and fortunate position to be able to test it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have neither the booster plug or throttle tamer but I looked hard at both before going the RexXer route. In the interests of research and information, would it be possible and practical for you to install the throttle tamer first and then test ride it before putting the booster plug on? I ask because I have a hunch, based on all the reading I have done on this site, that the throttle tamer will make the most dramatic difference to the snatchy throttle response. Maybe even enough to not require the booster plug. I feel many people would like to know but you are in the rare and fortunate position to be able to test it.

Thanks in advance.
Ill give it a shot and let you guys know.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so I plugged in the booster plug. First thing I noticed was that the bike still backfires the same. Under 2500rpm its a little smoother but not as much as I would have liked. In first gear, with a light load its still jerky and it did absolutely nothing for the snatchy throttle. Throttle Tamer arrives this weekend and ill advise on how it goes.

·
Registered
332 Posts
so loud I took mine off pretty quickly. Even with the Db killers in, If you want one I'll sell it for shipping plus $40.00 all yours

·
Registered
332 Posts
Ok, so I plugged in the booster plug. First thing I noticed was that the bike still backfires the same. Under 2500rpm its a little smoother but not as much as I would have liked. In first gear, with a light load its still jerky and it did absolutely nothing for the snatchy throttle. Throttle Tamer arrives this weekend and ill advise on how it goes.

my understanding is that nothing will help that backfire rumbling you get unless you go in and disable the system that feeds fresh air into the exhaust stream. Can't recall the technical term but someone on here did a pretty thorough right up about it;.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Hi, I had the danmoto with the booster plug and the bike ran terrible, not only was it embarrassing (too loud) it lost all torque and power, so i removed it straight away but I thought the booster plug helped with the std exhaust not loads but it softened the snatchy throttle.

·
Registered
734 Posts
so loud I took mine off pretty quickly. Even with the Db killers in, If you want one I'll sell it for shipping plus $40.00 all yours
Mr Munck
If you still have the Danmoto, let me know the asking price.
You can pm or email it.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I found something interesting about removing the AIS on a Triumph forum. Worth reading imho.

The SAI operates all the time on the 675 engine which 'leans out' the exhaust gasses. The engine runs slightly rich (about 13:1) while the Lambda (AKA Exhaust GasOxygen) sensor sees 14:1 because of the SAI.
It's a clever trick. It means the engine runs better at idle because it's richer, but emmissions are low (Euro 3 compliant) because of the leaning out.
If you disconnect the SAI the Lambda sensor will see a rich mixture and tell the ECU to deliver less fuel, making the combustion lean. (If you then re-richen the mixture by remapping you will possibly melt the catalytic convertor.)

I have the feeling the Scrambler isn’t much different...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the Booster Plug installed about 3 weeks after buying my 2015 Icon. At the time I remember thinking it made some difference. Last week I finally did a Rexxer re-map on my ECU, so a day before I removed the Booster Plug. Funny, but I felt the bike actually ran better suddenly without the Booster Plug! And I can honestly say that after the re-map, the fueling is much smoother and the snatchy throttle is gone. I can cruise at 2500-3000rpm without surging if I need to. I used a standard map emailed by Rexxer for a stock Icon. It's not a performance map by any means, but it has made quite a difference. I wish I had just gone this route earlier without bothering with the Booster Plug - however I'm in Chiang Mai Thailand and it took me this long to find someone who could do the remap.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Quick question, do you need a windows computer to load the map into the Rexxer?
When I did mine a year or so ago Windows was the only option.

When I was looking at my options, I read the below blog and subsequently had an email conversation with the author. He was extremely helpful.

BikeBoy.org - Fuel Injection – Open Loop and Closed Loop

Maybe someone with more knowledge on the matter can chime in, but potentially the booster plug will work more effectively for you if you clear the ecu adaptive parameters?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I decided to take off the booster plug and went with the rexxer. Much better in every regard. Still snatchy but the throttle tamer should fix that hopefully when it gets here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts