Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I don’t own a desert sled but I think I want one. I live in a hot climate - central Cal. I’ll use the bike to commute which is only about 15 minutes and then mess around on the mountain roads. I’ve heard the bike runs hot. How hot? I won’t be sitting in stop and go traffic so maybe I shouldn’t be worried? I see guys wrapping the pipes so it must be problem for some. Does it really help?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
If you're moving I reckon you'd be fine. I have no real-world experience of exhaust wrapping but from what I've read here, and elsewhere, it doesn't help an awful lot.

I ride in Kevlar Jeans – I DO end up in stop-start traffic quite often and it does get hot but on my commute (15-20 mins so not much different than yourself) it's not unbearable. I do have an Icon though so I can easily stand with my leg away from the exhaust if stationary for too long.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So I don’t own a desert sled but I think I want one. I live in a hot climate - central Cal. I’ll use the bike to commute which is only about 15 minutes and then mess around on the mountain roads. I’ve heard the bike runs hot. How hot? I won’t be sitting in stop and go traffic so maybe I shouldn’t be worried? I see guys wrapping the pipes so it must be problem for some. Does it really help?

Haha....I live in the middle east where the summer temperatures range between 44 to 49 Celsius, I have wrapped the pipes of my full throttle...which helps but when the bike is idling the engine heat roasts my [email protected]#$$&

·
Registered
848 Posts
It's a hot bike, air cooled and the exhausts run right next to your right leg and under your ass with no fans to blow the heat away.
Even on warm 25C+ days in the UK, it starts to get toasty when sitting at traffic lights for longer periods, it's totally fine as soon as I begin moving.
I've ridden on 30C+ days without too much discomfort.

Clothing makes a big difference, taller boots keep the heat off my calves, short ones allow my ankles and calf to get quite warm.

Wrapping the exhaust or having them ceramic coated means less heat will radiate into your legs, so it does help.
Also de-catting the bike makes quite a difference as the cat by its nature, gets very very hot. A proper remap of the bike to adjust the fuelling and make it less lean, also helps the bike stay a little cooler.

On a 15 minute ride and if you can lane split to keep moving, it will be fine, just noticeably hot when stationary.
Do it!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm here in the central valley. I have an 1100, my wife has an Icon. We rode last weekend over the passes to Nevada and back. It hit 104 by the time we arrived in Carson CIty. I'd say the bike doesn't make you any hotter than the air around you. If you are rolling, you are fine. If you were to sit at a hold up for 5-10 minutes, you will definitely feel the heat. Of course, I'm wearing protective gear that keeps direct heat away, but your heat in to some extent. It is an air cooled bike, and heat is right under you. Moving helps. I'd say it is less a problem than my Ducati Supersport was, the size and location of the Cat on that was a huge heater of your leg.

·
Registered
23 Posts
In my opinion, you only have a problem with the heat if you regularly or always ride in shorts. When riding with shorts (which is rare) it has happened to me that I have slightly burned my skin. You have to be careful not to get in contact with the exhaust pipe or the heat shield. But if you use motorcycle pants, you feel a little bit of heat rising up when you stop. But it doesn't make a big difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts