Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an old fart and have been riding since I was 16, but I did have a break from 18 to 30 when cars/family took over.

I have now been riding continuously for the past 26 years :eek:. In that time I've really just had sports bikes and and I still love sports bikes and still have a Panigale. But the Classic is my first naked bike and is in "homage" to the time I was growing up and lusted after neighbours bikes at the time (Triumphs, Nortons etc)

I still know bugger all about how bikes run and how to fix them (and really have no interest in that) and I'm naturally cack handed and so leave all servicing etc to the professionals, but I love riding and do so at every opportunity I can :)

So how long have you been riding?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Only been riding 42 years on the road and still learning. Had first bike as a box of bits after lots of trial and error got on the road.

Attracted to scrambler as it looked fun and so far it is.

First bike DOT scrambler first road bike Bitsa (BSA, Triumph mix). Tried all sorts still looking for a perfect bike.

Learn to fix bikes out of necessity just to get to work and once money became available to make em faster. Still get a great happy feeling from a good bike run. Long may it continue.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm the opposite end of the scale. I've been riding for nearly a month. Mod 1 is at the end of August. Mod 2 some time after summer holidays in September.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I've been riding continuously for 49 years with only a break of a year or so while I was at college and was skint . I've done all the service, maintenance and repairs on all of my bikes because initially, like Cag it was the only way I could afford to keep them going, and now because I don't trust the dealer to do it right and I grudge paying them money for something I can easily do myself.
First bike was an Ariel Arrow Super Sport followed by a string of BSAs; B31, Road Rocket, Super Rocket, 3 x Gold Stars, interspersed with a 350 Ariel, a Velocette Viper, Honda 500 four, 2 x Honda SL125, MotoGuzzi V50II and a few other bikes that I've forgotten. I bought my first Ducati in 1976, an 860 GTS, the only bike I've bought brand new until the Scrambler. Other Ducatis included a 1978 900SS, a 1995 900SS, a 2003 ST4s ABS and currently I own a 2010 MTS1200 ABS, a 1993 907ie and of course the Scrambler Classic.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Despite boyfriends/husband(s!) having bikes and being pillion many a time, I was never really interested in having my own, more interested in horses. I did try it about 20 years ago but lived in the crowded south east and just didn't enjoy battling the traffic. Then moved to Shropshire, and decided at a 'certain age' I would try and get my bike test. I didn't even think I'd want to ride, it was literally a challenge to myself that I could do it.

So in 2010 I bought a 125, got my CBT and took myself all over the place in the countryside practising. Then put in for my test in 2011. I was way more nervous than when I did my car test, and convinced I would fail - I was put under even more pressure when I was taking the test with two lads who had a lesson with me and they both passed before me :rolleyes:. But to my surprise and huge relief I passed first time!

My first two bikes I didn't really gel with - first was a Gladius which was actually a lovely bike but very top heavy and I've forgotten how many times I dropped it :confused:, then it got written off crossing a ford after it broke my leg for good measure. Next bike was a Moto Guzzi V7 which I loved the look of but it was lacking in HP and I couldn't get on with it's vibrations. I almost gave up but then discovered the Scrambler - I'm now having another new lease of life :D:D, I ride it at every opportunity and even the horses haven't had a look in!

I've made loads of really good friends through bikes and had some fab times, and I think the camaraderie amongst bikers is very special - always something to talk about with a stranger :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
IMG_0007.jpg
39 years years since I bought my first bike. A James Captain that had been stripped for scrambling, cost £15 saved from my paper round. Had all sorts since. Did some motocross in the eighties, had various sports bikes and trailies since.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have been riding since I started on mini bikes which was over 45 years ago, haven't ever stopped since. I even bought and test rode a GSXR 750 in December in Ohio when I was 8 1/2 months pregnant with snow on the roads, I love motorcycles they are my addiction!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I passed my test in January 1959, :eek: I've had a bike ever since :D

And like CAG says you never stop learning,
And I passed my test in the same year but in a very wet July (nothing changes) but rode for two years previously on an ex army 500cc side valve BSA that cost 25 quid from Pride and Clarke in London, the initiation was if you could start it you could ride it, not that easy but lots of fun.

Like CAG says you never stop learning and you also never stop meeting some great characters, so 72 years young and 58 years riding.

Geoff...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I started in 1976. My first bike was a montessa capra 125 scrambler. So i have raced motocross(scrambling ever since). My first road bike. Yamaha fs1e. I dont know why but because i get my fix off road i never passed my test until 2004. Since then ive owned 1 harley. 2 ducatis 1 triumph.
A third ducati soon.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts