Votes: 32 25.6%
  • 60 and over

Votes: 28 22.4%
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What with Ducati pushing the hipster side of Scrambler ownership, how right did they get it? It seems to me that a lot of people on here are over 30, some by a fair bit! So how many trendy twenty-somethings have they attracted?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I'm one who is a fair bit over 30 (in body only not mind :rolleyes:), yes will be interesting to see how many 'young' people buy it

·
Registered
965 Posts
57 and my reason for wanting one is pretty simple. I'm downsizing and wanted something lighter and inexpensive for the most part. I also have missed the style of the Scrambler as I prefer
"standards" vs, all the fairings and bs.

·
Registered
149 Posts
57 and my reason for wanting one is pretty simple. I'm downsizing and wanted something lighter and inexpensive for the most part. I also have missed the style of the Scrambler as I prefer
"standards" vs, all the fairings and bs.
I am 61 and also wanted something lighter and like the scrambler look. I am no longer interested in 400 mile treks. I traded in my Harley Softail for the scrambler but still have my BMW S1000R when I have the need for speed.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Either the marketing men have been very clever sucking us older gits into a dream of carefree youth, or they've got it horribly wronfrong!??

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think we "Get It" more, relative to the "Scrambler", maybe subconsciously ingrained in us from when we first started riding. It could be a whole new ball game for the youngsters if/once they get a load of a traditional "set up straight" motorcycle. I'm going to retire later this year and go back to being a "Kid" again.....full time!

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
I think that a lot of the "early adopters" will be older just due to financial freedom. The 20-something crowd will be attracted to the price point, but not to the point of putting a deposit down in advance. I image that we will start seeing more and more "kids" on the site once they are readily available in showrooms.

Also, I think that the resurgence in the "traditional" or "throwback" bikes is playing to older guys and gals because of what was said earlier. Folks want to buy brand and model of the first bike that they had, or their dad had. The nostalgia plays well with the modern creature comforts like, I don't know, an electric starter. Those old kickers are not terribly easy on old(er) legs.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I bought a Yamaha SR500 just so I could have something to kick start (while I still can). It's technique really, once you figure it out. You get some funny looks too these days, like what is he doing, and the occasional smile from those that remember.

its that old saying, ...."Old Guys Rule" :cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm young gun, but most of the guys I hang out with who like motorcycles are old wrenchers with more bikes in parts than running.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts