Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm heading from Brighton to Santa pod raceway (300 ish mile round trip) this friday to watch the scooters (there's a scooter rally going on there) race down the 1/4 mile and hopefully have a go on a few myself (i'm a short ass that weighs 9 stone... test pilot material ;)

Anyways... i'm camping so need to get a tent, sleeping bag and a few clothes etc... on the bike! I've got my rucksack and tank bag but for the sleeping bag and tent i was going to bungee them to the pillion part of the seat.
Without having the time to buy a luggage rack etc... any ideas how to do this?

I was just going to remove the 4 bungs in the rear of the frame that the luggage rack bolts to and fit four bolts and then hook the bungees/straps round those.

This should hold the tent and sleeping bag on fine but if anyone has any better ideas please let me know!!

Tony

·
Registered
589 Posts
Sounds like a good plan, I've got my saddlebags mounted to the same bolt holes. Maybe chuck it all in a canoe type dry sack, you can get cheap ones off ebay ;-)

·
Registered
589 Posts
Have a quick search on here, a couple of the guys made some eyelets for bungees out of steel rings and nylon strapping. Makes it easier to hook the bungees on ;-)

·
Registered
178 Posts
There's not a lot of room to put in bolts for bungees. ROK Straps are a much better, more secure bet for strapping your bags to the seat. If you thread them around the subframe and pass them out under the seat as in the photo, they'll hold a big bag really secure. Bungees are not great, they stretch, the load can then shift off the back of the seat and be pulled back into the wheel. I know of two people with Ducati sportsbikes this has happened to and been lucky not to crash.

·
Registered
178 Posts
where the frame is not "closed" near the rear light, I lost the straps on bumpy roads and bag shifted back....
This is why I posted the picture to show how I fixed the ROK Straps. The rear strap is fastened in the closed part of the subframe, and passes out by the open part. It is not fixed in the open part.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There's not a lot of room to put in bolts for bungees. ROK Straps are a much better, more secure bet for strapping your bags to the seat. If you thread them around the subframe and pass them out under the seat as in the photo, they'll hold a big bag really secure. Bungees are not great, they stretch, the load can then shift off the back of the seat and be pulled back into the wheel. I know of two people with Ducati sportsbikes this has happened to and been lucky not to crash.

Just been outside and yes looking there isn't really enough room for bolts in the frame for bungees. Instead i loosened the tail piece and threaded 6 bungees through that area and then tightened the tail piece back up. For now the hooks of the bungees are sitting in the little compartment until they are needed.
Just done a test and the tent and sleeping bag seem to hold well.

I'll have a look see what shops i can buy these ROK straps as they look a lot sturdier! Fingers crossed i can get them before i leave on friday otherwise it's bungees and constant checking.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I've carried luggage on trips all round Europe, many thousands of miles, and only ever used bungees. I've never had a problem, but always make sure they're tight and braced in all directions.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Where are you Charlie? Wonder if U.S. Aldi is the same company; we have one about 50 miles away, but I was under the impression they only sold groceries, may have to check out the place.

Sarah

·
Registered
4 Posts
Where are you Charlie? Wonder if U.S. Aldi is the same company; we have one about 50 miles away, but I was under the impression they only sold groceries, may have to check out the place.

Sarah
I'm from Lancashire, UK. Maybe its worth a call to Aldi before riding down there.
(Sorry I'm new here. Just updated my profile to show where I'm from).

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Thank you Charlie! I won't make a special trip, just make sure to stop in next time I'm there. Thanks for updating your profile too, I can't keep track of everybody.

Sarah

1 - 17 of 17 Posts