Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I´m going to be changing my rear shock this week but i dont have much kit around me.
My plan is to place a jack between the top of the tyre and the underside of the seat/frame and take the weight off the mounts by doing that.
I´m sure someone on here has used that method but i cant find the thread, anyone point me at it for any other tips?
cheers

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Top girl Sarah that´s the one! He also got over the problem of access to the bottom bolt, thanks a bunch. I just couldn´t find it on the search cheers.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Glad to help, those little tips from those who've gone before make all the difference. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Sarah

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This only partially worked for me.
i could jack up to take the weight off the shock mounts OK, and screwed out the top mount bolt fine.
but when i jacked up further to try to get access to the lower bolt past the footrest hanger, it just came to a stop.
So i put a jack under the sump and all that did was lever the rear wheel clean off the ground. The bolt hole still wouldn´t clear the footrest hanger. it wasn´t even close.
So i went and sawed 20mm off an 8mm allen key and got the bottom bolt out with that and a spanner. You have to fiddle with the jack height a bit to get the loose bolt out or it fouls the footrest hangar.
Maybe the Antipodeans who managed this had removed the cat. I can only think the tyre was hitting the cat. and limiting the loose swingarms movement.
Anyway shiny new EMC shock is in. I´ll post up a review when i have 500 miles or so on it.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Remove the black priece that holds the footrest it’s only 3 bolts and the gear lever to disconnect. It’s extremely easy and allows total access. You’ll be amazed.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But don´t you lose the side stand as well if you do that, i dont have any other stand.
I did think about doing that and leaning it on the car but cutting the allen key is less risky and quicker.

·
Registered
908 Posts
No the stand stays in place. I didn’t mention, depending on which exhaust you have it may be fixed to the bracket, but it is only one bolt. If you are worried why not lean the bike against a wall.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don´t have a suitable wall at my place Gasman. I was sure the stand used the same bolt as the footrest hangar, oh well it´s done now.
cheers

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I suspend my bike from a rafter in our garage when I need to remove a wheel or shock... Just keep the wheel slightly hovering and removal/reinstall becomes a breeze.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts