Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm lucky enough to have three long, twisty canyons within a few minutes of my house. They're connected at the tops by dirt roads, so I can ride up one and down another. I work weekends, so it's easy for me to slip away many days for a quick couple of hours ride. The roads are not crowded on week days and I can pretty much pick my own speed/pace. I'm not a particularly fast rider, I just let the bike determine the speed it wants to go on any given day. My knee dragging days are long behind me.

I often use the rides as a reward to myself for doing chores ("bike's washed and gassed up, I deserve a ride." "I went to work yesterday, I deserve a ride")

Last week, got ticketed.

$120 USD. Seems pretty steep to me, but my wife pointed out that if amortize it over 2-3 rides per week for 2.5 years, it's a bargain. I suppose that I'm lucky it hasn't happened before now. Still, it put a bit of a damper in my week. But I do love riding this little bike and am planning going for a ride again today. After all; I got out of bed today, I deserve a ride.

Cheers everyone,

Dan

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Just divide the number of rides you went without a fine, by the height of the fine.

You have a pretty good efficacy!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, I'm not complaining. It's hard to be upset when the riding weather is so great here right now.

·
Registered
145 Posts
After a decade off bikes I got done by a speed camera in week 2 of my scrambler ownership. And it cost me much more than you. Haven't been done since but where you paid the fun tax in arrears, I paid it in advance.

It was a good early wake up call and a reminder that built up areas are for sensible transit. But once the road opens up...........

·
Registered
10 Posts
A rider on a big Harley bagger saved me this am. I was about to rip thru a 35mph construction zone when we met each other. I thought he was waving then realized he was telling me to keep it slow. 100 yards ahead was an officer camped on the side.

Reactions: rider

·
Registered
788 Posts
Be thankful you don't have our UK points system.

Caught speeding, we get a fine that's calculated against a percentage of our monthly wage. PLUS we get 3 points. Gather 12 and you lose your license.
You have to declare these points on your insurance, who will then briskly put up your premium. 6 points and above and most rental companies will no longer accept your custom...

I'd love a $120 ticket if I got caught! haha

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Be thankful you don't have our UK points system.

Caught speeding, we get a fine that's calculated against a percentage of our monthly wage. PLUS we get 3 points. Gather 12 and you lose your license.
You have to declare these points on your insurance, who will then briskly put up your premium. 6 points and above and most rental companies will no longer accept your custom...

I'd love a $120 ticket if I got caught! haha
I do appreciate how much easier we have it here. I married into a British family...I hear it a lot. Apparently though, everything else is better in the UK. ... I hear that a lot too. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
788 Posts
I do appreciate how much easier we have it here. I married into a British family...I hear it a lot. Apparently though, everything else is better in the UK. ... I hear that a lot too. :rolleyes:
Apart from the weather, economy & police state nannying. We do have better chocolate though... take victories where you can!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm lucky enough to have three long, twisty canyons within a few minutes of my house. They're connected at the tops by dirt roads, so I can ride up one and down another. I work weekends, so it's easy for me to slip away many days for a quick couple of hours ride. The roads are not crowded on week days and I can pretty much pick my own speed/pace. I'm not a particularly fast rider, I just let the bike determine the speed it wants to go on any given day. My knee dragging days are long behind me.

I often use the rides as a reward to myself for doing chores ("bike's washed and gassed up, I deserve a ride." "I went to work yesterday, I deserve a ride")

Last week, got ticketed.

$120 USD. Seems pretty steep to me, but my wife pointed out that if amortize it over 2-3 rides per week for 2.5 years, it's a bargain. I suppose that I'm lucky it hasn't happened before now. Still, it put a bit of a damper in my week. But I do love riding this little bike and am planning going for a ride again today. After all; I got out of bed today, I deserve a ride.

Cheers everyone,

Dan
same happened to me, live on a rural road, go fast, clip the corners, rarely stop completely on the stop sings, (good viz) out of the 'blue' got pulled over by a cop on a 1300-1400cc Beemmer? approached me, and i really had a smile on my face, knew i was good and properly done? "I said didnt expect to see you" he asked me how long i had lived there?
told him 10yrs he told me he had lived down my road for two? with the speeding, crossing the centers, and stop signs? license was gone?
told me to smarten up, and gave me a free one???
think because they get sick of people whinging and lying about something the watched with their own eyes?
I go slower now?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've never had a ticket on a motorbike in Singapore in 15 years, mind you we struggle to find roads where we can hit more than 110kph but there's plenty of other ways to attract attention. I've had a few in my car but mostly from inattentiveness rather than malicious law breaking as per my bike riding.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts