Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The time I have riding and enjoying my Scrambler the more I believe that our new Scramblers will go down in the future as a classic model. Not many motorcycles out there can claim that but I really think that they hit a home run with this bike.

Is it perfect? No, but what is, does it inspire owners to make it their own?, absolutely. That in itself is a huge accomplishment for any new model motorcycle. I've owned over 20 motorcycles in the last 40 years and only a very few illicit the type of emotion that the Scrambler does for me.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Well Dave , I'm sure you're right, :D It's good that it appeals to new and young motorcyclists just like Ducati had in mind, so their marketing people got it right, :) Just that a lot of wrinklies have bought it too :rolleyes:

·
Registered
564 Posts
I can see this being a bike that people will hold on to for a great many years,well maybe us wrinklies.
The younger/newer rider will probably move on.
Yes people will buy other bikes but I think they will keep the Scrambler,I feel that's what I will do anyway.
I can't see it being a bike that Ducati can change like all manufacturers do after a model has been out a few years.
It is what it is.It certainly can't be modernized,that would be missing the whole point of this lovely little machine.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I bought my classic "Classic" because I love the style of the bike and it reminded me of the bikes I lusted after when I was a kid. And also because I could ;)

But the more I ride it the more I love it. It does all the simple things brilliantly. :)

Don't get me wrong, I still love my sports bikes and my Pani in particular but I can see a day that the Pani (or whatever sports bike I may have at the time) is either sold or relegated to being a "collectable", and I will want to keep riding my Classic :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
If Scrambler gets a real classic status it'd fun to see someone trying to find one in original condition 30 years from now to add to their collection.
Ha! Original condition... That won't be mine — I'm riding the shit out of mine. It's too fun! If the bike and I both survive 30 more years, I'll have a high mileage, well used, far from original condition example. :)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I absolutely love mine. Can't see that I will want any other bike instead of it - so will be sticking to this till my old arthritic hands can't hold it up any more.

Just that a lot of wrinklies have bought it too
Who are you calling a wrinkly?? ;)

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well Dave , I'm sure you're right, :D It's good that it appeals to new and young motorcyclists just like Ducati had in mind, so their marketing people got it right, :) Just that a lot of wrinklies have bought it too :rolleyes:
I think I resemble that remark :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ive bought a king size roll of bubble wrap and stored mine in a heated garage to increase in value over the next 20 years!

As if.

Mines for riding. The only appreciating my Scrambler will get will be from me riding it!

·
Registered
589 Posts
I agree with all of the above! It's such a fun usable bike, it does everything I need, from scratching to shopping! Someone posted on another Ducati forum that a friend was told the particular model he wanted was sold out until September, so Ducati got it bang on! If only they could produce a few more!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Being classic takes a certain amount being made so that a wide swath of the general public knows it even exists. So yeah, I can see it hitting classic status thanks to the marketing campaign. Also if this forces Triumph to change the Bonneville lineup, those bikes will age and become more valuable in the future. Meanwhile the 1972 Benelli 650 Tornado S I had sitting in my garage for a few years (traded it for another bike) had practically no value on the free market because nobody in the USA knows what they are any more. However, you can usually find someone with $$ to pony up on a Laverda. It's odd how the market determines the value of one bike over another and rarity, reliability, or actual 'coolness' has nothing to do with it. See also the value of a Yamaha XS650 or Honda CB750.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I agree with all of the above! It's such a fun usable bike, it does everything I need, from scratching to shopping! Someone posted on another Ducati forum that a friend was told the particular model he wanted was sold out until September, so Ducati got it bang on! If only they could produce a few more!
My dealer said they had sold all the bikes available to them and the earliest date to get one now would be September!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My dealer said they had sold all the bikes available to them and the earliest date to get one now would be September!
Wow September? I wonder what the total sales for Ducati was in the US? I know I had pre-ordered mine back in October of 2014. That's an amazing amount of sales to me if they had full production going. Wow

·
Registered
83 Posts
I bought my classic "Classic" because I love the style of the bike and it reminded me of the bikes I lusted after when I was a kid. And also because I could ;)

But the more I ride it the more I love it. It does all the simple things brilliantly. :)

Don't get me wrong, I still love my sports bikes and my Pani in particular but I can see a day that the Pani (or whatever sports bike I may have at the time) is either sold or relegated to being a "collectable", and I will want to keep riding my Classic :)
Totally agree, I've smiled pretty much every mile I've ridden so far :D

·
Registered
285 Posts
I do wonder though if the "Made In Italy" bikes will be worth more/as much as the Thai bikes. Given how many of these bikes are being sold, I don't know if they'll ever be "collectible" but certainly iconic. :p

·
Registered
83 Posts
I do wonder though if the "Made In Italy" bikes will be worth more/as much as the Thai bikes. Given how many of these bikes are being sold, I don't know if they'll ever be "collectible" but certainly iconic. :p
That reminds me, I'm going to order a classic style "Made In Italy" for the Classic! Carbon Trader have them... :D

·
Registered
813 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly.

Ducati nailed the Scrambler. The look and the feel of it are perfect.
The only downside being that it's tough to explain just how fun it is to ride.

I know they will but I'm hoping Ducati don't do what they did with the monster too quickly. The monster began life the same way but eventually became the current, fire breathing, centrepiece naked bike. De-throning the streetfighter.

I've seen rumours of a 1200 (really?) and a 500 Scrambler already.

Personally, I'd be open to more power. Not a lot but a little. Maybe 85-90bhp. Just to make the Scrambler a tad more... Hooligan. I'm a youth though, so maybe I'm yet to be fitted for sensible pants.

As for the major flaws. The main one being the suspension. I'm ok with it. It works, keeps the cost down and I like having some flaws that push me towards custom upgrades that make the bike my own.
Sadly, 10-15 bhp gains aren't easily do-able.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Agreed with above. A Scrambler with Ducati's 1100 air cooled motor (100hp) from the Monster 1100 would be awesome!
I think the current Scrambler will most likely be the last air-cooled Ducati. There is no way that an air-cooled engine will pass the Euro5 emissions legislation due to be enforced for all new models from 2017.

Reactions: tonyjuliano
1 - 20 of 23 Posts