Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
My use will be dirt roads, back roads, and maybe power line roads (hint: all have the word road in them) I would never take a 10k bike that has a metal tank into the woods! Learned those lessons early on in my teen years on mx80's.
The high exhaust only moves the exit higher, but there is still plenty of exhaust uncovered under the bike, even with the Ducati "skid plate" in place. The way they redirect the exhaust, if you really look at it, it doesn't do much other than look the part. That's fine though, because this isn't a log hopper. It's a street bike that can do a little reasonable off-roading.[/QUO

· Registered
3 Posts
I agree. If you're planning on doing anything other than light trail riding (fire roads, even dirt roads, etc.) the scrambler in any model isn't going to fit your needs. Go for a true dual sport for the gnarlier trail riding.

· Registered
11 Posts
I rode an enduro in NY state years ago so I know what you are talking about. I usually ride in MO, KS & OK.

A 21" may not clear given the limited travel. You would have to check that. The 19" will and it will work for most of what we would want to do with this bike.
Raising the rear shock steepens the rake/trail ratios. It might be twitchy at speeds. Check with a suspension guy. You might be able to get 1/2 ~1" more from the stock forks & shock. The stock suspension might work OK. I'd ride it first. No double jumps though. It might pitch you off.

Weight: smaller tires / rims might reduce it some. A Shorai Li-ion battery would drop a whopping 8 lbs. (I have one in my 500 EXC and it has survived 2 years of trail bashing.) A tail tidy from Monster Parts might drop a pound or so (considering that you start with the UE). An Akrapovic slip on muffler would drop 2+ lbs. Expensive mods but all with a purpose: durability and lightness.

The front sprocket is a 15T. I would go to 16T for more time between new chain and sprockets. The forces on the chain increase by 1/7th with each tooth you drop and that means more wear. You could probably go up 3 teeth on the rear without clearance problems.

Mirrors: I would get separate mounts for foldable mirrors. Having the mirror mounted in the casting for the brake and clutch controls is a bad idea. A crash could break those castings. I got my mounts and mirrors from Sicass Racing. (Sicass has a sub fender for the KTMs that includes a tail/brake LED light. I would pull the one off my 500 and see if it could be adapted and used on the rear. They also have smaller LED turn signals on flexible stocks that take a hit from your boots or from a drop. Front turn signals are also LED and are embedded in the plastic guards that mount on their really tough Cycra alloy hand guards. Using these would save a bit more weight and add durability. I've hit trees straight on with these plastic guards with no damage to anything. But now we are turning this bike into something it is not: a KTM Adventure. No reason why we couldn't. KTM will not have a mid range Adventure out until 2017 and the Ducati is 60+ lbs lighter than the former 950 Adventure. And weight is the enemy!)

Stu
I rode an enduro in NY state years ago so I know what you are talking about. I usually ride in MO, KS & OK.

A 21" may not clear given the . (Sicass has a sub fender for the KTMs that includes a tail/brake LED light. I

A 21" may not clear given the limited travel. You would have to check that. The 19" will and it will work for most of what we would want to do with this bike.
Raising the rear shock steepens the rake/trail ratios. It might be twitchy at speeds. Check with a suspension guy. You might be able to get 1/2 ~1" more from the stock forks & shock. The stock suspension might work OK. I'd ride it first. No double jumps though. It might pitch you off.

Weight: smaller tires / rims might reduce it some. A Shorai Li-ion battery would drop a whopping 8 lbs. (I have one in my 500 EXC and it has survived 2 years of trail bashing.) A tail tidy from Monster Parts might drop a pound or so (considering that you start with the UE). An Akrapovic slip on muffler would drop 2+ lbs. Expensive mods but all with a purpose: durability and lightness.

The front sprocket is a 15T. I would go to 16T for more time between new chain and sprockets. The forces on the chain increase by 1/7th with each tooth you drop and that means more wear. You could probably go up 3 teeth on the rear without clearance problems.

Mirrors: I would get separate mounts for foldable mirrors. Having the mirror mounted in the casting for the brake and clutch controls is a bad idea. A crash could break those castings. I got my mounts and mirrors from Sicass Racing. (Sicass has a sub fender for the KTMs that includes a tail/brake LED light. I would pull the one off my 500 and see if it could be adapted and used on the rear. They also have smaller LED turn signals on flexible stocks that take a hit from your boots or from a drop. Front turn signals are also LED and are embedded in the plastic guards that mount on their really tough Cycra alloy hand guards. Using these would save a bit more weight and add durability. I've hit trees straight on with these plastic guards with no damage to anything. But now we are turning this bike into something it is not: a KTM Adventure. No reason why we couldn't. KTM will not have a mid range Adventure out until 2017 and the Ducati is 60+ lbs lighter than the former 950 Adventure. And weight is the enemy!)

Stu
Thats awesome! Did you get rear fender figured out? Thats what I am working on.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.