Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was bored after I got home tonight so I pulled off my rear shock.

Since I didn't want to pull the passenger peg mount (swingarm bolt) I sawed an 8mm allen wrench to make it shorter so I could remove the bolt at the lower mount. That worked and there's barely room to remove the bolt.

I used a car jack under the engine and had my front wheel chocked. That way I could get the height just right to unload the suspension and easily pull the bolt out of the lower mount first. If you get the jack just right you can finish unscrewing it with your fingers.

The top shock mount has a one-time-use sort of nut on the back side of the bolt. It's 15mm and my box wrench barely fit back there to hold it still while I unbolted it.

So what did I learn? Three things.

1) Crud can collect down under the lower mount. I had some rocks in the swing arm just chilling.

2) I thought the shock was Sachs according to literature I'd read, but it looks like it's a KYB?? What gives? edit:// I must have read wrong. Kayaba is spec'd

3) Like I had already seen on another forum when someone else pulled off their shock, the lower bushing is crapping out and I only have 2000 miles on my bike. The rubber is cracked and the eyelet is off center meaning this thing might start banging around at any moment. Lovely...

I cleaned out the rocks and reinstalled the shock with no drama. I had to use a magnet to get the shim washer out of the lower mount and getting the washer back in took a bit of wiggle work. Otherwise the front wheel chock and car jack competed for MVP in terms of what tools I used. Don't pull your shock off unless you think you know what you're doing.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
I reported a few weeks ago when I swapped mine for a Nitron shock That the silentablok bush was completely knackered,
Mine is still at the dealers for a ducati evaluation :rolleyes: the bush is not in the Ducati parts book, so its a complete new shock replacement ;)
Like bet they start replacing just the bush, Shortly :eek:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I reported a few weeks ago when I swapped mine for a Nitron shock That the silentablok bush was completely knackered,
Mine is still at the dealers for a ducati evaluation :rolleyes: the bush is not in the Ducati parts book, so its a complete new shock replacement ;)
Like bet they start replacing just the bush, Shortly :eek:
Wonder if it will become a recall item?!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
haha, I always think I know what I'm doing, especially shortly before things go horribly wrong :p

Nice info, cheers!
Ha, sounds like me!

Thank you silverluxe, very nice write-up. Should you send that picture along to the dealer?

Sarah

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
This is definitely going to be a wide-spread problem. Took my shock off yesterday to test some stuff on the bench - mine was deteriorating pretty much the same way.

Personally, I'm not overly concerned - as the bench testing confirmed my (and most others) suspicion that the stock shock is garbage - and I'm replacing it soon.

For those who won't be - you should be keeping an eye on this.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I was bored after I got home tonight so I pulled off my rear shock.

So what did I learn? Three things.

1) Crud can collect down under the lower mount. I had some rocks in the swing arm just chilling.

3) Like I had already seen on another forum when someone else pulled off their shock, the lower bushing is crapping out and I only have 2000 miles on my bike. The rubber is cracked and the eyelet is off center meaning this thing might start banging around at any moment. Lovely...

I cleaned out the rocks and reinstalled the shock with no drama. I had to use a magnet to get the shim washer out of the lower mount and getting the washer back in took a bit of wiggle work. Otherwise the front wheel chock and car jack competed for MVP in terms of what tools I used. Don't pull your shock off unless you think you know what you're doing.
The lower bush on mine is beginning to fail too and again the same as yours, "The rubber is cracked and the eyelet is off center". The eyelet in mine is both torn and sitting at an angle which leads me to believe that the mounts aren't perpendicular to the shock.

·
Registered
285 Posts
This is definitely going to be a wide-spread problem. Took my shock off yesterday to test some stuff on the bench - mine was deteriorating pretty much the same way.

Personally, I'm not overly concerned - as the bench testing confirmed my (and most others) suspicion that the stock shock is garbage - and I'm replacing it soon.

For those who won't be - you should be keeping an eye on this.
Right now I can't afford a new shock even though I *really* want/need one, and this has me worried...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm in the same boat. Too many irons in the fire this summer to be spending money on the brand new Scrambler. That said, I bet the bushing 'damage' happened almost immediately and it'll probably be fine for a lot more miles. You'll know when something is up because it'll start to rattle. So says I, the guy who has owned a lot of old crappy cars where control arm and panhard rod bushings blew apart.

I think littleowl on here had enough play in the lower bushing that the shock was chipping paint away from her aluminum swingarm, right?? So that's one place to keep an eye on as an easy visual inspection.

Does anyone know of somewhere to buy custom fitted polyurethane bushings? Pressing out the old and fitting new wouldn't be that difficult IF something exists somewhere.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Has anyone compared these shocks to anything else in the Ducati line-up? IE, a lot of Multistrada parts fit, maybe they use the same size swing arm bushings? Wonder if any of the old Monster parts transfer over...?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I think littleowl on here had enough play in the lower bushing that the shock was chipping paint away from her aluminum swingarm, right?? So that's one place to keep an eye on as an easy visual inspection.
Hi silverluxe, it wasn't the shock that made the marks, apparently they were machined out of the swinging arm to make room for the shock! It was originally thought that may be the case, especially as Elvisto's was very distorted, but I took it to the dealer who said their demo Icon had the same marks and they were machined. It looks like there were a number of earlier models who had these bits machined out (some other members have them), but they must have addressed this on later ones - or perhaps not! It wasn't visible with the stock shock in, only when it was removed to be replaced by the Nitron. The dealers have said they will paint it in for me if I want.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Fitted my M-Shock today and experienced the same results concerning the lower bushing of the stock shock - cracked but not looking too bad I guess.

After 5500km:
WP_20150714_15_58_20_Pro.jpg

Have those interesting pits on the swingarm next to the shock and question myself where they come from...? Factory made corrections...?

Edit: Littleowls explanation makes sense. Got No. 3225 off the Bologna production line. So quite early I guess.

WP_20150714_15_25_02_Pro.jpg
WP_20150714_15_25_44_Pro.jpg

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's crazy about the factory just getting after things by hand with a grinder like that.

Did you guys have the shim washer on the inside? My shim washer was on that inside face.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
That's crazy about the factory just getting after things by hand with a grinder like that.

Did you guys have the shim washer on the inside? My shim washer was on that inside face.
No grinder did that...
Those were made by a CNC mill - you can see the toolpaths.

Reactions: Killboy

·
Registered
140 Posts
Silverluxe,

Yes, the washer on mine was on the inside, no need for one on the outside as the bolt sits against the steel eyelet of the shock not the aluminium of the swingarm as the inside does.

Mine also has the machine marks on the swingarm, it's an early Thai build.

As much a concern to me as the damage to the lower bush is the fact that the eyelet is on an angle to the shock, one side is more squashed than the other. This indicates that the lower mount is not square to the shock, not ideal.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I am curious to see how other shocks handle wear and tear just based on this shock setup. I will be getting a new shock at some point.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts