1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Scrambler Icon Atomic Tangerine
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow good job!
Was it your first long trip?
Yes this was my first long trip. I got the bike at the beginning of the year and planned the trip with a friend. He and others kept telling me to get a different bike, that I couldn't make it through the big horn mountains on this bike. it was challenging especially as a relatively new rider but I was hell-bent on sticking with my scrambler! A few scrapes on the exhaust, I have to order the spring as I knocked the slip-on muffler loose and out it back in with some wire to finish the trail. Lol.
Those Evotec hand guards and the bash plate are awesome though! Totally protected the rest of the bike

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was looking at a longer off road ride, how did you find the tires for varied terrain?
I searched online and found a Continental TKC-80 tubeless tire that fits the rear, but in the front I couldn't get one that fit but none available anywhere. I went with a tube tire Michelin Anakee Wild rear Tire That I mounted in reverse on the front. Not recommending this to anyone else, but I researched as much as I could about the tread and use of knobbies and front/rear positions with various types of tread and torque applied. Then I found the tire that had similar tread patterning as the pirelli MT60 for the front.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes this was my first long trip. I got the bike at the beginning of the year and planned the trip with a friend. He and others kept telling me to get a different bike, that I couldn't make it through the big horn mountains on this bike. it was challenging especially as a relatively new rider but I was hell-bent on sticking with my scrambler! A few scrapes on the exhaust, I have to order the spring as I knocked the slip-on muffler loose and out it back in with some wire to finish the trail. Lol.
Those Evotec hand guards and the bash plate are awesome though! Totally protected the rest of the bike
Well done! I've got a desert sled and I've been meaning to go on a ride just like this but lile you I'm a new rider and haven't got the confidence yet... Maybe it's to to just go!

Have a good day!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Interesting thought but as I use my bike more on the street for the majority of the time, I am not sure this option would end well for me!!!

I searched online and found a Continental TKC-80 tubeless tire that fits the rear, but in the front I couldn't get one that fit but none available anywhere. I went with a tube tire Michelin Anakee Wild rear Tire That I mounted in reverse on the front. Not recommending this to anyone else, but I researched as much as I could about the tread and use of knobbies and front/rear positions with various types of tread and torque applied. Then I found the tire that had similar tread patterning as the pirelli MT60 for the front.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Awesome job! That is a huge trip especially on a icon. I have a desert sled and have a done a few multi day off road trips and they are not easy on the scrambler. Can you share how long it took? Anything you would do different if you did it again?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Interesting thought but as I use my bike more on the street for the majority of the time, I am not sure this option would end well for me!!!
I’ve got Michelin Anakee Wilds on my Scrambler Classic, and need to put some new ones on. 5600 miles, and probably have 1000 dirt miles on them. Did t because you get a tire like this doesn’t mean you can’t use the on the street. Unless you’re a track day knee-dragged you won’t know the difference except that they are noisier on the road. A plus is that I got 1000+ more miles from this set than I do with the standard Pirelli Scorpions.
Tire Wheel Plant Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome job! That is a huge trip especially on a icon. I have a desert sled and have a done a few multi day off road trips and they are not easy on the scrambler. Can you share how long it took? Anything you would do different if you did it again?
Well the trip took me about Six days. I did one extra expert section, a trip to the top of Kennaday Peak.
To do over...
1. I packed more than I needed so had more weight. I could have lightened the load.

2. My aftermarket add-ons such as the Ram phone mount and front windscreen started to have screws vibrating out halfway through so I used zip ties, then stopped at a hardware store and auto store to replace them; this time using blue loctite. This worked perfectly for the remainder of the trip. So many rocks!
3. Slow down and take more time in between legs to enjoy the towns or spend a whole.day at camp instead of a night then move on.
4. Not something I could fix but more ground clearance would have been great. A desert slide to me is an ideal bike and would easily rule that trip if you didn't want a full fledged adventure bike.

Lesson learned, I did better given my bike and experience level in gravel and sand than my buddy with narrow dual sport tires or the heavy BMWs we saw. The sand sucked until I learned to just slow way down.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’ve got Michelin Anakee Wilds on my Scrambler Classic, and need to put some new ones on. 5600 miles, and probably have 1000 dirt miles on them. Did t because you get a tire like this doesn’t mean you can’t use the on the street. Unless you’re a track day knee-dragged you won’t know the difference except that they are noisier on the road. A plus is that I got 1000+ more miles from this set than I do with the standard Pirelli Scorpions. View attachment 49997
Great looking bike!
I agree, my highway sections did perfectly fine and even loaded down using these tires, handling was just fine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Agree totally about taking your time and enjoying it. We planned for 120-150 miles per day on the BDR. I do 300-400 on a road trip. That means you don’t have to leave at 0 dark thirty and ride way into the night. There are a lot of gorgeous views and interesting places along the way that you can stop and see. Some of our sections were slow going, especially due to 3 days of rain before we started. 10-15 mph doesn’t allow for long stages. Agree about packing as light as you can, it helps. Nice pictures, nice bike. Sounds like you had a great time. That’s awesome!

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Amazon; chinese made I guess, but I was able to fit it with a few bends of the tabs and bolt it up with a set of side plates. Was going to get the hepco and Becker rack and sides but delays with shipping so I cancelled and got this to get it installed in time. Cheap, but solid. Not a perfect fit initially on the holes but about a half hour with a file, some new allenhead bolts and everything fit no issues.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts