Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2018 Icon has 7,607 km on the clock.

Last ride, I noticed the right fork seal was weeping.

I tried a Seal Doctor on it, and when I inserted the tool under the seal, oil began running out. What?!

I searched, and it appears there is no discussion about weeping/leaking seals.

Anyone else have issues with fork seals?

·
Registered
957 Posts
As its still under warrantee... maybe take it back to the dealer... Some Ducati's do suffer from Seals.. but not so common on the Scrambler..
Generally fork seals are not covered under warranty. If the bike is brand new maybe if it has any miles on it the OP is probably out of luck with 7000km I'd be surprised if they cover it.
The first thing I would do would be to try cleaning the seal using the edge of a credit card or similar there is plenty of advice on the web how to do it. Often it is just something tiny caught in the seal and if you get it out no long term harm is done.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I've not heard of any scramblers having issues but I did use seal mate which is the same as your seal doctor on a trial bike I had and it definitely worked, did you take your dust seal off? Also due to the nature of USD forks you will lose a bit of oil as you are opening the seal. I'd have another go with the doctor as it'll be dirt under there somewhere.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've not heard of any scramblers having issues but I did use seal mate which is the same as your seal doctor on a trial bike I had and it definitely worked, did you take your dust seal off? Also due to the nature of USD forks you will lose a bit of oil as you are opening the seal. I'd have another go with the doctor as it'll be dirt under there somewhere.
Yes, I did slide the dust seal down.

This is my first moto with USD forks that has had issues. How much oil will leak out? If it's 10cc, that's okay because that's a recommended change!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
That's the trouble with USD forks, the tubes are more vulnerable to rocks and such kicked up from the road. Check the fork tube for nicks and dings just in case.

Sarah

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sooooo, I took the moto to the dealer, and apparently we miscommunicated on the phone because they did NOT have a replacement fork seal. The shop manager and assistant mechanic felt sure that if they disassembled and cleaned the fork leg, it would stop leaking, so I let them try.

They were correct. The leak stopped and remained stopped even after a fairly punishing ride yesterday.

I asked about warranty coverage and received the puzzled dog look, so I just paid for it: $1044 pesos or $54.32usd.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Sometimes a bit of grit will wedge itself between the tube and the seal creating a weeping leak. I have cleaned this kind of weep by inserting a bit of photographic film between the tube and seal and working all around the tube.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Sometimes a bit of grit will wedge itself between the tube and the seal creating a weeping leak. I have cleaned this kind of weep by inserting a bit of photographic film between the tube and seal and working all around the tube.

What's this "photographic film" you speak of?

[woot]

-Bob

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
There is a gizmo called ‘Sealmate’
It’s thin plastic with a hooked birds beak shape that wraps around the fork leg, with a twisting motion the beak works into the seal lip and scrapes out the shyte.
There’s a Youtube clip showing it.

I can say that in practice there is some oil escapes, I’ve only done this once tbh. using a home made one. If I were to do it again I might take the leg of and turn it right way up.

How long will it be before upside down will be the right way up ??

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I wrote as much about the oil escaping as I did about Seal Mate which was answering a question asked.

(see start post)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts