Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi does anybody have any ideas on how to purchase a Ducati Scrambler Icon Frame? I live in Melbourne Australia. I have asked Ducati and they basically said no we won’t help you. Cheers in advance.

·
Registered
981 Posts
If you go into one of the two Ducati stores and order a frame surely they will then order it from Italy and supply you. That is essentially what they are in business for.
It sounds to me like you mght have gone to Melbourne Ducati which is owned by Fraser’s the Ducati importers and tends to have a take it or leave it attitude. Give Andrew at Mornington Ducati a ring. They are much more customer focussed.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I purchased a STAT write off, basically brand new, only had bent forks, I replaced the forks and the frame is perfect, but has STAT write off VIN.
Have they changed the rules?
I know plenty of people who have re registered stat write offs without changing the frame. In the past at least you only needed an engineering certificate to show that the vehicle was roadworthy and that the items listed as damaged on the write off report were fixed.
Contact these guys;

Enkelman & Associates Pty Ltd
1/5 Braeside Dr, Braeside VIC 3195
(03) 9580 3024

They are motor vehicle engineers and do a lot of this sort of testing and reporting. They are absolute pedants and everything has to be correct to pass so they will be able to give you the full 100% correct run down on what is required.

·
Registered
733 Posts
My Multistrada was written off with rear end damage..

Needed new rear plastics and new rear subframe - new rear wheel and a new gear lever... Probably around £5000 of parts - at full Ducati price - but they wrote it off and paid out over £12,000.. they just look at the total cost of parts a labour... then add in rental costs for the period and the estimated resale of the scrap... mine was perfect main frame and Engine and Front End... everything infront of the rider seat was undamaged (except gear change lever) and if the numbers are close settle out... to save the hassle and risk of additional unknown repair costs and time.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
My Multistrada was written off with rear end damage..

Needed new rear plastics and new rear subframe - new rear wheel and a new gear lever... Probably around £5000 of parts - at full Ducati price - but they wrote it off and paid out over £12,000.. they just look at the total cost of parts a labour... then add in rental costs for the period and the estimated resale of the scrap... mine was perfect main frame and Engine and Front End... everything infront of the rider seat was undamaged (except gear change lever) and if the numbers are close settle out... to save the hassle and risk of additional unknown repair costs and time.
Yes but what happens to the bike afterwards? Is there a list of insurance write-offs for sale? Could you have bought it back and put it on the road?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Does make me wonder why it was written off with only bent forks. If that's the case K1W1 surely there's an opportunity here.

A Simon says the costs mount up real quick when it comes to insurance. The insurance company has to fix 100% of the crash damage in order to cover themselves from future legal actions so even a small scratch on a plastic mudguard that an owner would ignore means that the whole mudguard needs to be replaced. A simple scratch or scrape on a frame rail means a new frame for insurance and the cost of stripping a bike down then rebuilding it these days is massive compared to the cost to the insurance company of simply writing it off and then getting a reasonable recovery from selling the wreck. When Dan said only the forks were bent I bet the list of items that needed to be replaced that went to the insurance company was way longer than simply one line saying two new forks were required.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yes - they resell them.... They would probably have asked me much more for it - than they will sell it for at Auction..... I would guess it will go for £3000 to £5000 at auction - and a repair using second hand bits would be under £1000... but you would need to shop about and take your time buying bits...

so it would have been a cheap bike for someone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does make me wonder why it was written off with only bent forks. If that's the case K1W1 surely there's an opportunity here.
Yes, I also agree with the other comments, I think this may have been a stat write off because of the cost to replace most items, yes, I did replace the forks, Ducati Melb asked $1450 each! then there were other smaller items, brake leavers, foot pedals, mirrors, a rip in the seat and a small dint in the tank. So, I think all of these items at Retail prices meant that the motorcycle was written off. Ive also heard that if there is even a small scratch on the Frame, it may be considered a STAT write off until it has been assessed by an Engineer for any structural damage to the Frame.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A Simon says the costs mount up real quick when it comes to insurance. The insurance company has to fix 100% of the crash damage in order to cover themselves from future legal actions so even a small scratch on a plastic mudguard that an owner would ignore means that the whole mudguard needs to be replaced. A simple scratch or scrape on a frame rail means a new frame for insurance and the cost of stripping a bike down then rebuilding it these days is massive compared to the cost to the insurance company of simply writing it off and then getting a reasonable recovery from selling the wreck. When Dan said only the forks were bent I bet the list of items that needed to be replaced that went to the insurance company was way longer than simply one line saying two new forks were required.
100% Correct!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes but what happens to the bike afterwards? Is there a list of insurance write-offs for sale? Could you have bought it back and put it on the road?
In Australia there are 2 options.
1) You can purchase your motorcycle back of the insurance company.
2) After the insurance evaluation, it is sold onto an Auction house. You get a new motorcycle or cash, it depends on your level of insurance and insurer.
Most people choose to get cash payment.

I had a CBR 1000RR stolen from my back yard and they paid me out the average second hand value of the motorcycle.
Which was around half the retail price. Thanks insurance!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Have they changed the rules?
I know plenty of people who have re registered stat write offs without changing the frame. In the past at least you only needed an engineering certificate to show that the vehicle was roadworthy and that the items listed as damaged on the write off report were fixed.
Contact these guys;

Enkelman & Associates Pty Ltd
1/5 Braeside Dr, Braeside VIC 3195
(03) 9580 3024

They are motor vehicle engineers and do a lot of this sort of testing and reporting. They are absolute pedants and everything has to be correct to pass so they will be able to give you the full 100% correct run down on what is required.
I have also heard about this option, to take it to an Engineer who will give it an assessment, this is still an option.
I took a STAT write off scooter to a VIV inspection, thinking the same thing, the man said this is a STAT and said there are no options as it is only for scrap.
The scooter had a broken exhaust pipe, that's it... I've checked the Vic Roads website, and there was really nothing there other than stating the rules.
I may have to dig a little deeper.

I wonder if anybody else in Vic has registered a STAT write off recently?

I shall dig deeper.
Cheers!

·
Registered
981 Posts
I wonder if anybody else in Vic has registered a STAT write off recently?
My daughters boyfriend is a mechanic at Peter Stevens and he does a lot of the insurance assessments. I will ask him when they come up here later today. I know he is currently rebuilding a bike that was written off but I don't know what the status of it was.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I have also heard about this option, to take it to an Engineer who will give it an assessment, this is still an option.
I'm told that the bike can be re registered with the same frame provided it has an engineering certificate and "that is expensive". I doubt that it is more expensive than a new frame but I would definitely be having a chat with Enkelmans when they start again after Christmas. They should at least be able to give you some sort of cost estimate.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts