Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are allot of discussions surrounding the handlebars on the Icon and the general feeling I got is that they are ugly, too upright and need to be black... To all of these, I agree...

So, pursued a set of Pro Taper bars as these are generally accessible in SA, not knowing which ones will fit ofcourse this was a bit of a trail finding the correct one. Anyway in the end a set of "Seven eights - YZ high's" fitted perfectly on the standard clamps. Positives they were lower by the exact amount I needed, slightly narrower which helps my riding style and of-course in black just to help the colour scheme. Negatives - We'll they're narrower so there's no space for the start - kill switch, luckily that moved easily enough to the lower bend. End result just looks fantastic, ride quality is instantly better as well.

(Apologies for the poor quality pics - my phone is ancient...lol)

This is the one I used:

Fitted:

·
Registered
941 Posts
I dont mind the Icon bars at all and find they look ok with the brace added and are comfy for me. The indicators on the other hand are the ugliest thing on the bike to my eyes :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hi Cross-Monster... Unfortunately I can't see your original pictures. Have you still got the pictures somewhere?
Also, how much lower are they than stock icon handlebars?
Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm wondering about the pics as well. Curious to see how your bars look.
I've used Protapers bars on dirtbikes and mountain bikes in the past.

It seems photobucket has screwed over a LOT of forums...

·
Registered
96 Posts
I dont mind the Icon bars at all and find they look ok with the brace added and are comfy for me. The indicators on the other hand are the ugliest thing on the bike to my eyes :)
I also didn’t mind the standard bars, until I fitted the official Ducati variable section bars. Only then I realised how good these lower bars are, and how quick and well the bike now turns. An absolute must!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I also didn’t mind the standard bars, until I fitted the official Ducati variable section bars. Only then I realised how good these lower bars are, and how quick and well the bike now turns. An absolute must!!
Hi Stevie,

By "Ducati variable section bars", did you mean the FT bars? I'm thinking of changing my Icon bars, and am looking for alternatives.

Regards,

Pete

·
Registered
255 Posts
I had the standard icon bars and then installed the FT bars .. they look much better. .. but I have noticed the lower bars put more strain on my wrists. Think I just need to man up and improve my wrists.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I had the standard icon bars and then installed the FT bars .. they look much better. .. but I have noticed the lower bars put more strain on my wrists. Think I just need to man up and improve my wrists.
I had the same problem with my FTP so I fitted adjustable risers from ebay (China). Too early to give the conclusive result but I think it is easier on my wrists.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi Stevie,

By "Ducati variable section bars", did you mean the FT bars? I'm thinking of changing my Icon bars, and am looking for alternatives.

Regards,

Pete
Hi, yes I do! I know it’s a little bit more expensive, but worth every penny.
Easy to fit, all the holes in th right place. No need to grind off the locator pins on the controls, or having to drill holes. And after all of that you have a completely new feeling bike, quicker and tighter turning. The bars only pull you down and forward 2” but it makes all the difference!!
Good luck

·
Registered
26 Posts
Easy to fit, all the holes in th right place. No need to grind off the locator pins on the controls, or having to drill holes. And after all of that you have a completely new feeling bike, quicker and tighter turning. The bars only pull you down and forward 2” but it makes all the difference!!
Good luck
Hi Stevie,

Thanks for that. The FT's will be my next modification.

Pete

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Hi Stevie,

Thanks for that. The FT's will be my next modification.

Pete
I know we're talking personal details that vary with every rider (height, inside leg, weight etc) but I also found the FT bars positioned me better on the saddle and made riding on 'that seat' more bearable, just :)

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Do you have a link or searchable description for the adjustable risers?
Thanks,
FatRob
Just search on ebay for universal adjustable motorcycle handlebar risers. They are black and red, from China, costing about £35. I have them on my bike but please do not take this as a recommendation. I am not technical at all.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The "right height" bars depend upon how long YOU are and your preferred riding position. The stock bars on my 2016 Icon are ergo fine but I agree that black chrome would look better.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Good luck
Where do you get the FT bars? I’m in the US. Getting my bike this weekend but feel the bars are too wide and high for me to be comfortable. Are the FT bars more narrow?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Where do you get the FT bars? I’m in the US. Getting my bike this weekend but feel the bars are too wide and high for me to be comfortable. Are the FT bars more narrow?
They're a Ducati part so from your dealer – there may be a couple lurking at the secondhand market places, who knows.

I did this change (I won't call it an upgrade) after about a year of Icon ownership. I personally like the new riding position and it's rolled my body forward into a slightly more comfortable position, allowing me to do, oh I dunno, an extra 5 minutes in the standard saddle ;). I think it's a very personal thing though and depends on what makes you most comfortable as Mike said.

They look a lot cooler being black though ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts