Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this may have been covered before but I am only getting to 60 miles before petrol light comes on. New Icon with 200 miles on it. After looking at other info, even though bike is new, this is a very sad reading. Anyone else got a sadder one or suggestions or is it back to the dealers. Thank you

·
Registered
106 Posts
That does sound on the low side, even for city riding. But may be worth waiting until the engine loosens up before getting too worried. Certainly mention it to the dealer when it goes in for its first service.

My own Icon reduced its fuel use significantly over the first six months. From around 190km per tank (to the fuel light coming on) when new to 220km after a couple of thousand km. That's mostly for open road riding though.

bm

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Yes, and not that far either and so the low mileage so far

My take on the Scrambler: fuel economy is not really good on short city rides, AND the tank is hard to fill up completely, consistently.

Take it for a long ride, and fill up before, and after that ride.

·
Registered
956 Posts
The question that the OP must resolve is when the light comes on how much fuel is required to refill the tank?
If the bike only takes a gallon or so of fuel then the problem is the position of the low fuel sensor. If the bike takes the amount that would be expected when the tank is empty then the fuel consumption is excessive. In the case of the second situation the the amount of time spent sitting still idling in traffic needs to be taken into account.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Crazy question. How much fuel are you normally putting in every fill up?

Please don't overfill the tank on your next fill when calculating this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was hitting 25 miles left on the “range” gauge and put just over 10 litres in this morning. Means on a 10 mile round trip I’m filling every 7 days approx. Can’t be right so will contact dealers.
I haven’t had a brand new bike before even though I’ve been riding over 30 years so thank you for the replies, much appreciated.

·
Registered
210 Posts
10 litres is about right for my tank just as it hits the fuel light to full... But it's usually good for 120-130 before the light comes on. Definitely something weird going on here

·
Registered
956 Posts
That means that the gauge is correct but the fuel usage seems excessive. We never had anything like this with our Scrambler. Even from new it got around 200 km+ (120+ miles) before the light came on but that is not city riding.
The tank takes 13.4 litres including a 4 litre reserve so putting 10 litres in when the light comes on is bang on correct.

·
Registered
733 Posts
This 10 miles a day round trip - is this in London City type traffic - so stop start...

As others - I used to get around 120 miles before light came on - but NEVER ride in traffic...

How long does your 10 mile round trip take - what gear are you in...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It takes around 25 mins mainly working up to 3rd gear. Rarely go above this as heavy traffic. I know this will impact the petrol but even so......

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2019 FT with around 400 miles and my daily commute is also around 10 miles round trip. My fuel light comes on around every 70 miles so I fill up every 7 days (I pump a little over 2 gallons).

To me, it seems excessive. I come from older bikes, with bigger tanks, but still. I would do the same commute, same driving style and fill up once a month maaaybe twice. I would expect a modern bike to be more efficient.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep sounds familiar. There were some helpful hints on this thread but much still the same. I talked to the dealers and they said there wouldn’t be much change after the 600m service but did say engine still bedding in so it should get better. Personally I think that’s a load of bollox but don’t have and scientific grounds to say this.
However, I did take it out a bit further from the city, got some speed up, actually got into 6 gear (wow) and the petrol consumption was better on that tank fill. 80 miles I think.
Anyway, I’m going to see what’s it’s like at 600 miles (still only just over 300) before I yell at Ducati

1 - 14 of 14 Posts