Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

I picked up my '16 Icon (red) on Sunday. I've got about 160 miles on it now and I am just totally thrilled with the bike in all ways.

Except the seat.

The seat is killing my rear end. Like I can go about 25 miles before I'm on fire, so it's time to rectify that.

I had considered the Mustang seat as I hear good things about them, they look, ok, etc. The downsides are two:

1) I would miss the storage space that you lose. I'm used to a BMW where you can carry a full toolkit, the manual, and a ton of other stuff.

2) It's not waterproof. My bike lives outside under a cover, and while that helps, sometimes it's likely going to get damp, and I hate having a wet rear end after it rains.

So the other option is the Seat Concepts cover and foam. I like this because it retains the stock storage, and you can waterproof the foam with a layer of plastic.

However... I need to choose, brown or black? My initial thought was black, until I realized that the black covers are a totally different design than the brown ones. I really like the design of the brown ones, and I am much less a fan of the design of the black ones. My bike is red, and I'm honestly not sure what I'd think of a brown seat on a black / red bike. I've looked around a little, but does anyone have pictures of either Seat Concepts cover (particularly the brown one) on a red Icon?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I chose brown because I didn't like the look of the black, either. I like it well enough, and I think it would look especially nice on a red bike. If I get tired of the brown I'll get a can of vinyl paint and spray it black.

Sarah

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the brown color that they use.... in some pics it looks *very* dark, and in some it looks like kind of a rich medium brown. What would you call it?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I highly recommend the Sargent seat. Yes, it's expensive but you get to keep the storage space and it's waterproof. And very, very comfortable.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought about the Sargent, but honestly I don't like the way that it looks all that much. Otherwise, they look great.

I had a Corbin saddle on my BMW, and loved it. I could ride that bike literally all day and not be the least bit sore, but I *really* don't like the way that the Corbins for the Scrambler look at all.

So right now I am leaning toward a brown Seat Concepts (the linear stitched one, not the diamond stitch). Almost ordered one today but figured I'd look around a little this weekend and then order on Monday.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a seat from British Customs. I like it somewhat. It sits me higher up, so it's good for the knees and hips, but also up higher in the wind which I noticed immediately on the open road. it's also flat so I can scoot way back. But it still has some issues where the hump is from the toolkit. Way more comfortable than stock but not a complete solution.

Brown Diamond Stitch Seat Kit for Ducati Scrambler
here it is on my bike.
My Sixty2

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ordered this Mustang seat Monday $296 free shipping Revzilla & it came today, Fri. Can't ride for a while, but initial impressions confirm what others say about how good this seat is. I can't wait to put some miles on.

It looks way better in person, has a low profile & I understand now the previous comment "I didn't know where to sit on the Scrambler until I got a Mustang seat." Not sure who said that. Height seems very close to stock but wider & way more supportive. It's driving me crazy not being able to give a test ride yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I'd call the Seat Concepts a rich medium brown.
DSCN3664.JPG
DSCN3668.JPG

I think I read somewhere that it's possible to stretch the factory cover over the Seat Concepts foam, maybe so, but I think it would be some work.

Sarah

·
Registered
214 Posts
My Mustang seat is slightly too low, so I have added an Airhawk pad, to increase the height and comfort: it works very well, but does detract somewhat from the looks. Whilst it does not matter at all to me, as I take the bike from the garage, ride it on local single track roads and only park it when filling with fuel, I can well imagine that others will not agree: a couple of photos from yesterday's ride are attached. image.jpeg image.jpeg

Over the years, I have had four Corbin seats and found all very comfortable, but that for the Scrambler seemed far too expensive, so I chose the Mustang.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd call the Seat Concepts a rich medium brown.

I think I read somewhere that it's possible to stretch the factory cover over the Seat Concepts foam, maybe so, but I think it would be some work.

Sarah
Thanks, Sarah. I'd seen your pictures before. I think that's the seat I'm going with. Once I get it here and installed, I'll throw up some pics of it on my red Icon for others who might be looking.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Follow up Mustang Seat review. You sit lower & more in the bike. It is more comfortable. I feel like my hands & feet need to be re-trained to the bike a little. My feet & hands feel like they are at a different position.

I am 5'6" 29" inseam

The best reference point I see in the following 2 pics is to draw a vertical line down the end of my knee to the Scrambler letters. On the Mustang it is at the last letter R & on the OEM it is at the L. I've only put 10 miles on it. Might be just in my head, but the suspension felt better ??? I need more testing, but I thinks it's gonna be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm really happy with my Mustang seat @ 5'8" and a 30" inseam. I don't know if a 6' rider would be happy with it. This seat is definetly lower than the stock one.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That kinda reinforces to me that I'll likely be happier with a Seat Concepts than a Mustang then. I was fooling around on my evening ride tonight and I felt a little more comfortable when I scooted slightly back on the seat and was able to adjust the angle of my hips. This makes me think I'll be happier with a slightly higher seat. I'm about 5'10" with a 29" or so inseam.

Has anyone tried the Ducati comfort seat? I've seen varying opinions on it, everything from "It sucks just as badly as the original one" all the way to "it's awesome and solved all of my problems."

·
Registered
123 Posts
I bought the comfort seat and a little better but still not happy so i got the local upholsterer to add more foam and new cover and I'm now happy riding all day
2017-05-10 15.22.50.png

·
Registered
54 Posts
I thought about the Sargent, but honestly I don't like the way that it looks all that much. Otherwise, they look great.

I had a Corbin saddle on my BMW, and loved it. I could ride that bike literally all day and not be the least bit sore, but I *really* don't like the way that the Corbins for the Scrambler look at all.

So right now I am leaning toward a brown Seat Concepts (the linear stitched one, not the diamond stitch). Almost ordered one today but figured I'd look around a little this weekend and then order on Monday.
i have to disagree the sargent seat is so good its like an armchair up against a kitchen stool and you get a free torch clipped to the underside and the tool roll still fits a new box they provide ,and its o so cooomfffy and it looks good to boot

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well that's much better looking than the others that I've seen - I think maybe before I was looking at pictures of the solo seat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts