Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished installing new Barnette clutch and springs after fixing left hand controls after dealing with stripped bolt holes on clutch perch. And now(sigh) ..when using my turn signals sometimes they don't come on, that is, until I use the horn, then they start working again..any ideas? If it means to fix this and something or another thing arises, I guess I'll pick this. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Maybe the wire got pinched somewhere near the controls? Sounds like a short. Trace it and see if you can find a breakage anywhere.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kinda embarrassed to write about this..... but here goes..apparently, after writing about this here, my turn signals have yet to NOT work. but when checking my bike over I noticed the smallest of oil leak bottom clutch cover. so I decide to redo the gasket..upon retightening the clutch cover bolts, one of the bolts snapped.. so off with the cover again got new bolt and was able to removed broken bolt but now while using PLASTIC scrapping tool to clean seminew gasket material off, It slipped outta my hand and straight into the oil sump via a tiny hole near the bottom of the open clutch side ...case. that was 4 days ago.. have been trying to retrieve it since then and now I need to retrieve TWO plastic scrapping tools outtta it..arrgg!! don't ask..

·
Registered
995 Posts
Kinda embarrassed to write about this..... but here goes..apparently, after writing about this here, my turn signals have yet to NOT work. but when checking my bike over I noticed the smallest of oil leak bottom clutch cover. so I decide to redo the gasket..upon retightening the clutch cover bolts, one of the bolts snapped.. so off with the cover again got new bolt and was able to removed broken bolt but now while using PLASTIC scrapping tool to clean seminew gasket material off, It slipped outta my hand and straight into the oil sump via a tiny hole near the bottom of the open clutch side ...case. that was 4 days ago.. have been trying to retrieve it since then and now I need to retrieve TWO plastic scrapping tools outtta it..arrgg!! don't ask..
I kinda want to laugh but I know I shouldn't! ;) Been in similar circumstances myself. Good luck with it all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PLEASE laugh, that's one of the reasons I posted this. because I will too. hopefully.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've often found that any (house/car/bike/object) (maintenance/project/upgrade) usually takes at least twice as long as originally planned and/or costs twice as much :LOL:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was really trying to get those plastic pieces out and just on a whim(frustration and desperation makes me think weird things like "please be magnetic plastic"..so)) stuck a magnet in one of the little holes and to my surprise pulled this out(not the penny)! wtf is it? Anyway left the plastic pieces in(after 7 days of trying) and figured this is what I was meant to pull out. put bike together, filled with oil, went for a 150 mile ride no issues whatsoever(fingers crossed, knocking on wood). feel better about spending the time fishing for plastic and caught spring steel instead. Thought I'd do frequent oil changes using Rotella T6 for a few till I'm satisfied that plastic is of no concern then switch back to the good stuff. .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Max, Yes that is what I Thought also, aren't they silver in color from the Factory? If stock color is silver than? I was hoping someone would say something along those terms as opposed to "that looks like part of the clip to the.... ". Lol

·
Registered
995 Posts
Thank you Max, Yes that is what I Thought also, aren't they silver in color from the Factory? If stock color is silver than? I was hoping someone would say something along those terms as opposed to "that looks like part of the clip to the.... ". Lol
Yeah mate, that looks like the whojackapffy clip that holds the entire engine together, what does Max know ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I kinda want to laugh but I know I shouldn't! ;) Been in similar circumstances myself. Good luck with it all.
I am sorry, but it just came out. Could not help it. THAT SUCKS. I WOULD OF BEEN SCREAMING AND CURSING FOR HOURS IF NOT DAYS AND ON THAT NOTE, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
You could start by comparing it to the other exhaust springs, is it really what I’m suggesting? ... next pull the oil screen out and check if there are more pieces in there?

How does the sump plug look? If I recall correctly it has a magnet in it (not 100% sure).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pulled the sump screen , both err..all 3 drain plugs..of course had the clutch cover off..tried grabbers, snatchers, snares, shop vac with/without houses/attachments, endoscope, magnets(heh heh)..and the sump plug ..well I gotta tell you ..Everytime I do an
oil change I have to install a new drain plug..but this time I got a big ass 14 mm bolt head to work with next time. and In about a month I'll change oil to see what's happening, if anything..been running fine have been riding everyday semishort distances from home no issues(knocking on hardwood). Not even the turn signal issue..lol( really pounding on the wood now).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You could start by comparing it to the other exhaust springs, is it really what I’m suggesting? ... next pull the oil screen out and check if there are more pieces in there?

How does the sump plug look? If I recall correctly it has a magnet in it (not 100% sure).
Hi Max, thanks for the tip. This is what is currently on my bike, almost 2x thickness and silver in color. The oil drain plug, the one I replaced the OEM one
(which has a weak magnet), is WAY
bulky looking and has no magnet attached to it, it looks like a curb grabber. I'm gonna change that in a couple weeks with the lower profile oil drain plug I just received. I put in Shell 4t Ultra oil in it. gonna try to get the most out of it before I change it to the Rotella T6 El Cheapo Deluxe and attempt to wash out the plastic. I did a search for more of that spring steel in my sump/engine case, with a magnet even, not a crumb was found. Before I put the clutch cover and all back together.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Was really trying to get those plastic pieces out and just on a whim(frustration and desperation makes me think weird things like "please be magnetic plastic"..so)) stuck a magnet in one of the little holes and to my surprise pulled this out(not the penny)! wtf is it? Anyway left the plastic pieces in(after 7 days of trying) and figured this is what I was meant to pull out. put bike together, filled with oil, went for a 150 mile ride no issues whatsoever(fingers crossed, knocking on wood). feel better about spending the time fishing for plastic and caught spring steel instead. Thought I'd do frequent oil changes using Rotella T6 for a few till I'm satisfied that plastic is of no concern then switch back to the good stuff. . View attachment 44842

You didn't use a tool of sorts to get the awkward back clutch plates out perhaps. Just a stab in the dark?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You didn't use a tool of sorts to get the awkward back clutch plates out perhaps. Just a stab in the dark?
lol haven't lost any part of metal tool(s) in there...plastic toolS yes, metal no.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts