Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Desert Sled has 9,200 miles on it. A few days ago I had someone adjust the chain, as it had excessive slack. Once re-adjusted it had the required play, all good as it always is with this. I get to my house 6 miles away, and notice the chain had become really taut, evidently rear axle nut was not tightened to spec, and wheel slid backwards causing tension on chain. I took it back in a flat bed, not wanting to risk it. Process repeated, this time correctly. Have put on the bike 60-70 miles after that, no problems. I've also inspected the whole chain, and cannot detect any damage, but hey, what do I know!

Measuring the links to see if chain is in spec seems the best way to rule out chain needs to be replaced. Trouble is I cannot find in the manual the length I need to look for in order to make this determination.

Any leads on this will be appreciated,

·
Registered
63 Posts
Code:
My Desert Sled has 9,200 miles on it. A few days ago I had someone adjust the chain, as it had excessive slack. Once re-adjusted it had the required play, all good as it always is with this. I get to my house 6 miles away, and notice the chain had become really taut, evidently rear axle nut was not tightened to spec, and wheel slid backwards causing tension on chain. I took it back in a flat bed, not wanting to risk it. Process repeated, this time correctly. Have put on the bike 60-70 miles after that, no problems. I've also inspected the whole chain, and cannot detect any damage, but hey, what do I know!

Measuring the links to see if chain is in spec seems the best way to rule out chain needs to be replaced. Trouble is I cannot find in the manual the length I need to look for in order to make this determination.

Hi,

This is a very good explanation on the chain adjustment, if you follow how he measures it you should be able to tell if its in within spec.

This guys videos are extremely helpful.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Code:
Hi,

This is a very good explanation on the chain adjustment, if you follow how he measures it you should be able to tell if its in within spec.

This guys videos are extremely helpful.
Lol.
1st; We are talking about a Desert Sled here which should have twice the amount of slack compared to the other models. So check out the figure for your model

2nd; That was wrong advice.
When he said measure it when the chain is at it's tightest and then proceeded to show how to find the tight spot.
That's not what it means! A chain does not wear evenly and so you need to rotate the chain and find where it's tightest. THAT is where the measurement is taken, not just a random spot just because you tightened it. Total upward movement from the least droop.

I stopped watching after this as it was doing my head in.
A simple and quick guide for wear is to pull the links away from the rear sprocket and if you can see daylight between the chain and sprocket that means it's getting worn.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Six miles probably wouldn't hurt it, but you should check the chain tightness in several places and look for any stiff links.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts