Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to take delivery of a desert sled, 2018 model with 0 km on it in Spain. I am an old guy living in Spain 10 km up a dirt track so I need some off road capability. I thought I had done my research and then today whilst looking on this forum as to why it is so damn hard to find neutral on these rides I came across this thread....'
NO MORE LAND OF JOY... ENGINE DIED

It seems the engine crapped out after a couple of months. Ducati admitted there was a manufacturing fault (valve gear) and repaired the engine but took over 2 months doing it with no loaner. Customer asked for some extra warranty but D. just said 'No'. Sounds like crap customer care to me and would have made me think again about buying this bike if I had seen this thread first. So my question is: Is Ducati customer care really as bad as this

·
Registered
73 Posts
it depends a lot on the dealership because it's not directly to Ducati. the one near my house it's terrible I went for a check up before a 1,000 miles 24 hours rally and they say it was perfect when I measure the slag on the chain was 72mm and the maximum allowed in the manual it was 50 mm the chain would come off if I had done the rally so I took it to one 2 hours away from home but the attention was magnificent. i would recommend trying a different dealership independent of where you bought the bike and try to be nice and chatty with the mechanics and they will take extra care with you're bike

Enviado desde mi PAR-LX9 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
T
it depends a lot on the dealership because it's not directly to Ducati. the one near my house it's terrible I went for a check up before a 1,000 miles 24 hours rally and they say it was perfect when I measure the slag on the chain was 72mm and the maximum allowed in the manual it was 50 mm the chain would come off if I had done the rally so I took it to one 2 hours away from home but the attention was magnificent. i would recommend trying a different dealership independent of where you bought the bike and try to be nice and chatty with the mechanics and they will take extra care with you're bike

Enviado desde mi PAR-LX9 mediante Tapatalk
Thanks Eduardo

·
Registered
954 Posts
If you look for negatives on the Internet you will find them every time. Name a product or brand and I bet anybody can pull up a heap of negative reviews or forum comments or Facebook posts within seconds thanks to Google.
If you want to base your purchase decision on one thread on one forum about a bike that is Ducatis single biggest selling model range these days and ignore all the positive posts then there is nothing anybody here can do to change your mind.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi K1W1 and thanks for your reply. It is not the product I was commenting on but the customer care. According to the original post this guy had an engine die because of a wrongly torqued nut on the cam. Ducati said it was a production line fault. The bike only had a handful of miles on it. Ducati warranty then arranged for repair...not a replacement bike, not a new engine but repair with no loaner. Repair took over 2 months. At a meeting with the customer, the concession owner and the manager of Ducati warranty for continental US the customer made the point that his new bike was now worth less because the engine had had to be stripped after just a couple of months. He asked Ducati to give him a warranty on the rebuilt engine to rectify this. They refused. I think this stinks and I wanted to ask whether this attitude was normal for them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I feel like it’s more dealership based. My dealer is great. I dropped my bike in the dirt and damaged the rear brake sensor. It was coming in for a service and I asked them to order the part for replacement. When I got there they had forgotten to put the order in. They offered to give me one of their used bikes to take home until the part came in and took 15% off the service bill. That’s pretty top notch service in my book. My experience with my dealer has been amazing and I’ll continue to use them.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks ElPolloBlanco. I am looking for a sevice place now I have the bike. The dealer I bought the bike from is so far away I woukd have to tow the bike back for the first service or be way over mileage. Of the two (I'm in Spain) dealers within 300km of me one has dreadful reviews on Google and the other sounds pretty good so I will go the extra mile (well 50 actually) and try to cultivate a relationship with them. The original thread poster though blamed the warranty manager for north america so he was definitelty a Ducati guy, not the concession.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Stavely. I live on a finca on the river Guadiana, about 25 km upriver from Ayamonte so Sevilla is the closest for me but dreadful reviews on Google including valve setting problems so I am probably going to use Jerez but thanks for the good news about Granada.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have a UK mate who winters in Sanlucar, says it´s a great area. You are a bit way out and no dealer in the Algarve either.
Malaga dealer has my icon for a desmo valve service today. I was in a hurry so emailed friday, dropped it off last night, getting it done today, pickup tomorrow, so great customer service so far. I´ll let you know how I get on.
Jerez will be fine i expect. like kiwi says, negative feed back is always out there.
This site has a wealth of knowledge about overcoming small issues yourself so I´d say get used to the search button!
And this Spanish site has good stuff too, you may already know it. http://www.ducatistas.com it google translates fairly well if your technical spanish is not so good like mine.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I don´t think i´ll publish his full name here but john is in his 60´s and pug ugly!
this year he´s wintering in Cadiz area if he can find a rental.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Have to agree that your servicing/repair experience will vary wildly between dealerships.

After dealing with two completely incompetent and deceitful main dealerships in the North West UK... I was almost put off the brand I'd grown up with.
Thankfully Italia Moto in Lincoln was a breath of fresh air, totally different.

A local private mechanic near me offered some insight into the Ducati dealer network.
He worked in a main dealer for a short period, before leaving. He did not have a lot of good things to say, apparently leaving over a pay dispute.
Took his words with a pinch a salt as an ex-employee. His comments made sense though, the mechanics I encountered seemed inexperienced, over worked and made lots of dangerous mistakes on my bike as a result.

He said most dealerships were used to high profit but infrequent sales to repeat customers. The focus from up high had moved to shifting volume at the expense of after sales. Each Scrambler apparently making very little for the dealership at all but the support/capacity not really being there to look after so many new customers.

This seems to be supported by Italia parting ways with Ducati. Their announcement hinted at exactly the same thing. Saying they couldn't provide the level of service they'd like under the umbrella of Ducati, so went it alone. Intriguing stuff.

So all depends what the dealerships near you are like. I travel 2 hours to the one I like due to the inconsistency.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
A similar thing happened to a friend of mine.

His 749 got ruined by his dealer by not adequately tightening coolant hoses during a service. Lost coolant on the 40 mile ride home, overheating and ultimately throwing a main bearing. Dealer denies. And his other bike has been in and out of the shop so many times the last few months he stopped counting -in fact, he didn't, but you know what I mean-. Won't idle decently, cylinder head & other parts replaced, still won't idle decently, mechanic made a dent in his wheel, wrong bolts/washers in critical areas, few days ago his brakes didn't work properly.... list goes on. It's just like every time his bike needs to go to the shop something gets screwed up.. been out of his over a month.

It's very sad.

Oh, and when my Sled had its Desmo job done the mechanic mounted the exhaust without the proper washers. As a result the exhaust was installed a few mm's too far to the left and the chain would rub against it. Different dealer btw.

·
Registered
802 Posts
A similar thing happened to a friend of mine.

His 749 got ruined by his dealer by not adequately tightening coolant hoses during a service. Lost coolant on the 40 mile ride home, overheating and ultimately throwing a main bearing. Dealer denies. And his other bike has been in and out of the shop so many times the last few months he stopped counting -in fact, he didn't, but you know what I mean-. Won't idle decently, cylinder head & other parts replaced, still won't idle decently, mechanic made a dent in his wheel, wrong bolts/washers in critical areas, few days ago his brakes didn't work properly.... list goes on. It's just like every time his bike needs to go to the shop something gets screwed up.. been out of his over a month.

It's very sad.

Oh, and when my Sled had its Desmo job done the mechanic mounted the exhaust without the proper washers. As a result the exhaust was installed a few mm's too far to the left and the chain would rub against it. Different dealer btw.
My tactic from now on is to find experts. Guys who deal with the same bikes over and over and over.
They know all the little nerdy eccentricities of each bike. Common issues, things to look out for etc...

Main dealer mechanics quite often don't have this expertise. Either due to being new or because they are working on new bikes every year.
Not all obviously, are some very good main dealerships around with excellent reputations but trustworthy mechanics are hard to find.

·
Registered
210 Posts
ps, little update. My buddies bike (not the 749) just got lemoned.
Good for him. I've gone through this process with a Ford, 60 days in shop in first 11 months. Long but surprisingly painless with a solid payoff in the end.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I am just about to find out how Ducati customer care responds. My brand new bike has a clutch fault ( different thread on here) and my local non-Ducati mech. said that since the clutch was really not disengaging at all when hot it shouldn't be ridden the 250km to the nearest dealer. So it is going off on a truck and I am about to write to Ducati. I have found two exact duplicates of the fault here on this forum so not a 'just me' fault. I do hope they grab the ball and surprise me.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts