Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a gallon of it in so I'd have it around for my first service. Is there any reason to think about NOT running Motul 300V oil in the bike? I know it's race oil, so maybe there's some reason it's not suitable for street style usage? If it's not a great oil for the scrambler, is there something else out there that's easy to purchase?

I was focusing on fiding a JASO MA2 oil. My main concern is how the clutch will behave with this oil.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Motul says of the 300V oil, "By selecting esters over other high performance synthetic base stocks and combining them with an innovative additive package, we have created a perfect synergy dedicated to the engine, the gearbox and the clutch". You should be just fine. The 7100 series, which is less expensive, is JASO MA2. I used the 300V in my KTM 500 EXC (wet clutch) without problems. I also used Shell's Rotella 6T synthetic 5W-40, non-JASO, and it worked great as well. (The only reason the Shell isn't JASO MA2 is the ash content is too high, something they need for the extreme pressures on diesel crankshafts. It works fine with wet clutches. It protects racing engines hammering up long sand washes on hot days which is something you probably won't be doing on your Scrambler.) I'd use any of these.

Stu

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I emailed Motul yesterday and got this response. They suggest a shorter oil change interval. I'll be switching to the 7100 oil afterwards.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Since I change oil just before 3K miles the 300V would work well for me. Bikes work oil pretty hard.

Stu

·
Registered
965 Posts
I emailed Motul yesterday and got this response. They suggest a shorter oil change interval. I'll be switching to the 7100 oil afterwards.

I would question the interval only because I used to run Amsoil in all my bikes and the interval was significantly longer vs dino oil. This has been extensively tested by Amsoil via the oil lab testing that many people do.Granted air cooled engines work hard but I am skeptical of a 3K oil change with a true synthetic.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
To be honest I like changing the oil every 3.000 miles too, It makes me feel better, :rolleyes: I prefer to stick to whatever the bike manufacturer recommends , it makes no sence to me to change makes unless you have to, But thats just my opinion :(

·
Registered
965 Posts
To be honest I like changing the oil every 3.000 miles too, It makes me feel better, :rolleyes: I prefer to stick to whatever the bike manufacturer recommends , it makes no sence to me to change makes unless you have to, But thats just my opinion :(
Totally agree with going with the recommended maintenance. Ducati recommends oil changes every 7500 miles when using synthetic

Ducati Maintenance

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I rarely do more than 3k miles in a season on any of my bikes, and change their oil annually, so I'm going to be OK. I'm probably talking out of my butt, but apparently racing oil breaks down faster for some reason. 7100 is designed for street use for a longer period of time and 300V is designed for race use and short oil change intervals. I guess kind of like a marathon runner versus a sprinter... Furthermore, people online are saying to not use "smooth shifter feel" as a way to gauge what sort of condition your oil is in. 7100 may make the bike shift harder, but the oil is in fact in better shape than worn out 300V. It's confusing to me because there's a lot of opinion and random anecdotal evidence. People who send their oil in for analysis say both good and bad things about every oil made.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts