Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought synthetic for my 2017 Icon oil change, now I’m second guessing the oil. It was orange which I wasn’t expecting. Anyone use it and have feedback? Sorry if it’s a dumb question I just don’t want to do anything wrong with this bike. Thank you!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I dont know if the color of the oil makes a difference, I put Motul 7100 into my bikes and its red colored and smells like juicy fruit. Never had a issue.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I ended up making a lot of calls, one to the dealership where I bought the Scrambler to make sure this would be ok. Seemed like they were upset they didn’t get to do the oil change and said if it was anything other than the Shell 15w50 4T spec synthetic they use, they wouldn’t run it in the Scrambler.

so I called Klotz and they were very nice, some Ducati racers use it and that this will work just fine in my bike. And it is supposed to be red.

we usually use Spectro or Mobile One in my other bike, never used the Klotz before but when I went to a different service center, that’s what they recommended for the Ducati after looking up bike specs.

Didn‘t realize synthetics would be different colors, and then after the dealership made me feel like I should take it out of my bike I got worried about running it. Thank you for your reply!

Reactions: DesmoDuc

·
Registered
46 Posts
Klotz is good oil. Don't fret it. Just make sure it is T4 rated. That means the crankcase and transmission share the same oil (as opposed to separate compartments like in Harleys. Such oils are usually specified for V Twins).

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you SO MUCH @firstducati !! I have begun to realize my anxiety is a bit high due to the pandemic and I have been a tad obsessed with this oil question! :) I really appreciate your first-hand input about the brand, and yes, on the back it says it's 4T. Thank you! I am relieved to hear this is okay in my bike!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I usually never deal with stealerships just because I have had pretty bad experiences with multiple ones and they tend to really overcharge and really oversell (they wanted to charge me $60 to install a battery into my 2019 DS, said it takes 30 minutes to do.) So unless I have a very trusted source at the dealership that I know isn't out to make a sale then I usually take it with a grain of salt. Internet has been really helpful for most maintenance related questions. I'm happy you figured out your situation and now can rest easy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts