Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles can we expect out of our chains until they require replacement? The last chain driven bike I owned was a Triumph Daytona 675 and I sold it before it had too many miles on it.

·
Registered
733 Posts
How long is a piece of string?

Depends how it is maintained and how you ride.

Anywhere between 5000 if you don't lube it - ride in wet and constantly fully on / off gas to 40,000 miles

I would typically expect at least 20,000 miles with proper maintenance.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, I had no clue that with proper maintenance that they would last anywhere near that long, someone was telling me maximum 5K miles but I thought that seemed a bit on the low side.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
If you look after them you'll get at worse, 15000 miles.

·
Registered
285 Posts
They can go pretty long with proper maintenance. Cleaning and relubing your chain every 600-1000 miles usually does the trick. Even if you don't clean it each and every time, getting some lubrication to the links every 1k miles or so can extend the life of your chain quite a bit.

There are a lot of other factors that can increase/decrease chain life (salty air/water, lack of use [sitting around], heavy use, etc), but for normal day-to-day riding it's good to try and keep the chain clean and oiled/lubed up. ATF, gear oil, WD40, chain lube - whatever you use, be sure to use it regularly and it should help your chain last quite a while.

·
Registered
424 Posts
From my experiences with other bikes...If you push to chain to its death, it will stretch. You will need to replace chain and sprockets too.

If you maintain it well and replace @ 15-20,000, you will prob'ly need chain only. (At least for a couple chains before sprockets are worn.)

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
With proper maintenance, a modern chain will probably give you in excess of 15000 miles of service - much less if neglected (which, by far, most are).

An effective automatic oilier will give you the longest life possible, without much intervention on your part. I've had chains last 40-50k when an oiler was installed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts