Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
So after a 14hr round trip drive in the pouring rain and fog, I'm back from the motorcycle show in San Mateo.

First and foremost, the Scrambler is awesome and was a big hit with a wide cross section of people interested in it, both sexes and all sizes and shapes. I kept going back to the booth every 1/2 hour or so just to sit on the Icon again and kept running into the same people doing the same thing. Ironically, the description of the bike in my fantasy road test (see other section) was right on. I'm 5' 11" , 175 lbs. with a 32" inseam. The bike fit me great both sitting and standing. As mentioned in my road test, the seat, in fact, does have a slight forward slant and is probably my only complaint about the bike but that's an easy fix. Oh yeah, the ugly charcoal canister has to mysteriously loosen and accidentally fall off.

The yellow Icon was the only bike you could sit on. There was no red Icon. The 3 other models had a rope around them and were off limits as they were, as I was told, "very delicate", pre-production prototypes. The Terminoni dual slip on muffler on the Full Throttle was actually plastic. The Icon was in a wheel chuck so I couldn't throw it side to side to feel the weight (or lack thereof). Of course, after looking at every picture on the internet and watching every video and reading every article, there were no surprises looking at the real deal, which is a good thing. The key was in the bike when I first arrived, but by the time I got hold of the manager to ask him to open the seat and show me the USB port and also turn on the headlight, the key had been removed by another Ducati person and he wasn't there. Too bad.

I was told that the dealers should have the accessory information today but my dealer hasn't gotten it yet.

Delivery of the first Icons will be March. Oh yeah !! The ABS can be shut off. I was shown how to do it and it's simple.

I took a few pictures to show ergonomic size ratio both with my feet on the pegs and on the ground. I just have to figure out how to upload them on here.

If anyone has any specific questions, let me know. Five months ???? How will I survive ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave, I saw many people your height who sat on the bike with both feet on the ground. The seat is narrow enough in the front to help the vertically challenged. Standard seat height is 31.5" but there is even a lower seat option. Since we both have the same inseam I don't think you'll have a problem. Also keep in mind that the suspension settles a bit when you sit on the bike getting you closer to the ground as well. Boots with thick soles help too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So they said delivery of the Icon in March...did they mention time frames on the other 3? Seems to be a re-occurring rumor my dealer claims is not confirmed.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Nicely done! Which of the seats looked best in person? I'm thinking of switching my full throttle seat out of the classic or urban enduro seats.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey !!!!! Who hacked my thread and put their pictures on it ? That is not me nor are they my pictures. Please remove them. That just ain't right !!!!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also went to the SM show and enjoyed sitting on the Scrambler. One thing I didn't like was the proximity of the exhaust to the footpeg. I am used to keeping the ball of my foot on the peg, but even in regular shoes this resulted in my heel resting on the heat shield of the exhaust.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Tyler, I know what you're saying and this has been a problem with various Ducati models. Maybe Italians have very small feet. I ride with my arch on the peg which moves my foot a little forward. I didn't feel the exhaust under the heel of my size 11 shoe but in looking at my photos, it's very close. Not a good thing but not a deal breaker. I guess I'll be cleaning heel marks off the exhaust frequently and maybe the aftermarket exhausts (Terminoni and others) will offer more clearance. You can always use a heavy hammer and with a few swings put a nice depression in the heat shield. :)
Overall, I thought the show was a little weak compared to previous shows I've attended. Most exhibitors had no catalogs and referred me to the internet. Even Ducati wasn't handing out anything Ducati or Scrambler related. I would think they would be putting a much heavier effort to promote the new model. Also, there were no accessories shown in the booth and the personnel didn't have any information other than telling me to check with my dealer. The icing on the cake was when one of the Ducati girls came up and asked me if I had a favorite model and when I pointed to the Icon she said "Oh so you like the Iron ?" The "Iron" ? Give me a break. There was a sign right in front of the bike and she never even looked at it. Poor marketing to have uneducated people working the booth. I don't expect them to be technical wizards but at least know the name of the bike.
But on the bright side, I did get to sit on it and drool over it and hopefully soon own one. The only good thing about the long wait is it gives me time to sell my Triumph Scrambler.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Were you by any chance the guy drove down from Medford,OR with the Hansen's Motorcycle T-shirt - "If women were motorcycles"? We stood in line and looked at the demo bike at the show.
I put a deposit on an Icon Red yesterday and ordered one of the T-shirts from Hansen. Good luck with your Scrambler!

N. Hansen

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yup, that was me. I'm waiting for a yellow Icon and now have to sell my Triumph Scrambler. The only positive about waiting until Spring for the Duc is that it gives me time to get my piggy bank full again. Glad you got to order the T shirt. I forgot where you said you lived but if you're ever up in Northern CA or Southern OR get in touch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts