Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last Wed the hubby & I bought bikes & I finally got my dream bike !!! This is my 1st Ducati.
Since then on 4 separate occasions - I've had problems starting bike on cold start.
I'm up in Vancouver, BC - mornings are still a bit chilly .... However ... After riding the bike to work one day ... Came out to it in the late afternoon ....sunny & warm .... Would not start .... Had to try several times ....with wait few min between each try .... & Finally started.
I'm told that Ducati's can be finicky on cold starts and that this is often normal ... But it's quite frustrating to say the least on a brand new bike. Add to that I have guys coming up to me going ... "Need some help there honey " ... "Give it gas" ... "i think your battery is dead" ... Yada yada ....
Starting to piss me off .....
Has ANYONE had/have this problem of really hard cold start ....
Thanks all :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi and congrats on the bike. The battery does seem a little week, many have commented on that here, but a new bike certainly should be able to start in cold weather. Mine is in Denmark and many mornings are still around 0 celsius and the bike hasn’t failed to start once. You could measure the battery, but I would just take it straight back to the dealer at once. It’s clearly not ok. Ducatis don’t come with a disclaimer “Doesn’t work in cold weather”.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Not sure either about the length of coverage, but if it is 12 months, it's probably 12 months after the warranty clock starts running. This would mainly apply if you bought a new left over last years model.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So last Wed the hubby & I bought bikes & I finally got my dream bike !!! This is my 1st Ducati.
Since then on 4 separate occasions - I've had problems starting bike on cold start.
I'm up in Vancouver, BC - mornings are still a bit chilly .... However ... After riding the bike to work one day ... Came out to it in the late afternoon ....sunny & warm .... Would not start .... Had to try several times ....with wait few min between each try .... & Finally started.
I'm told that Ducati's can be finicky on cold starts and that this is often normal ... But it's quite frustrating to say the least on a brand new bike. Add to that I have guys coming up to me going ... "Need some help there honey " ... "Give it gas" ... "i think your battery is dead" ... Yada yada ....
Starting to piss me off .....
Has ANYONE had/have this problem of really hard cold start ....
Thanks all :)
Congrats on purchasing your dream bike! Have you considered having the dealer do a battery check? Just to be sure and for a peace of mind.

I've kept my bike outside this past winter and I had one moment where it didn't start at the first try. And that was after it sat for two months without being started. It started on the second attempt and hasn't given me trouble since. Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've kept my bike outside this past winter...
Do you use a cover when storing it outside or is it under a shelter?

Was wondering how Ducs behave when stored outside.

I sometimes have to keep my bike outside and have been using a cover mostly. An old Honda could live outside w/o a cover and not have issues for the most part.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do you use a cover when storing it outside or is it under a shelter?

Was wondering how Ducs behave when stored outside.

I sometimes have to keep my bike outside and have been using a cover mostly. An old Honda could live outside w/o a cover and not have issues for the most part.
I use a Dowco cover size Lg that works well. Also,I find using gear oil to protect the chain from rust better than chain lube. Just a coating on the chain is all that is needed. Wipe excess off with a rag.

Reactions: OceanScrambler
1 - 8 of 8 Posts