Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I take delivery of my first Ducati this week and I'm super excited. I got a nice deal on a gently used icon from a well respected dealership, and I have a question regarding service. The bike has 1700 miles on it and the dealership says it is up to date on the service. Do you guys think it would be worth it for me to change the oil and filter "just to be safe", or should I leave it be until the next scheduled service? I really don't want to run into any mechanical issues down the road by not having good oil and a new filter in the bike for the next 5000+ miles. I would do the service myself to save time and money.

·
Registered
95 Posts
"Respected dealer" - so I would take their word for it, but then - doesn't cost that much to change the oil and filter yourself. Don't skip the next scheduled service however, easier to keep your warranty going.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you are mechanically inclined, go ahead and do the oil change yourself. Otherwise wait till the service light goes off. Reason, even well respected Ducati Dealerships will charge you over $300 just for basic service (Oil change + turn off the service light).

·
Registered
792 Posts
Any used bike/car, I do an Oil/filter change and do all the stuff they would normally do on a first service. (overall inspection, torquing bolts etc..)
It just puts my mind at ease and it's a good way to get comfortable with the bike. I usually end up finding things I hadn't spotted previously.

Buying from a respected dealer though, I wouldn't have any worries. Just wait until the 7500 mile service and get saving. It's a 'Desmo' service. So a bit pricey.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Congrats on the bike, foxfire. Can the dealership provide you with paperwork documenting the first service? That would put your mind at ease.

Sarah

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments all. greer I asked them to look up the VIN or something to check but they said the previous owner had it serviced and was up to date. So that's my concern, it's the dealership taking the word of the previous owner I suppose.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you are mechanically inclined, go ahead and do the oil change yourself. Otherwise wait till the service light goes off. Reason, even well respected Ducati Dealerships will charge you over $300 just for basic service (Oil change + turn off the service light).
As a new owner .. that is what I was afraid of.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Did the bike not come with a Service Handbook? This should show the date and miles for each service, stamped by the dealer who carried it out.

·
Registered
141 Posts
As long as the prior owner remembered to take the book with him and give it to the service dept when he did 1st service and when he sold it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hello

1700 miles doesn't correspond to any scheduled service on a Scrambler. The 1st is at 600 miles, it should have been done by the previous owner. The next one is planned at 7500 miles.

If your "well respected dealer" considers the bike needs to be serviced at 1700 miles, why not...
But then he must perform this free of charge for you.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hello

1700 miles doesn't correspond to any scheduled service on a Scrambler. The 1st is at 600 miles, it should have been done by the previous owner. The next one is planned at 7500 miles.

If your "well respected dealer" considers the bike needs to be serviced at 1700 miles, why not...
But then he must perform this free of charge for you.
Dealer's motivation may be to "undo" any "unauthorized / incorrect maint (e.g. using the wrong oil) done (personally) by original owner (along with making some extra money. ) Good luck on getting him to perform it for free though :-(

·
Registered
764 Posts
Hello

1700 miles doesn't correspond to any scheduled service on a Scrambler. The 1st is at 600 miles, it should have been done by the previous owner. The next one is planned at 7500 miles...
Not quite, the first service is at 600 miles and the next at 7,500 but an oil service is required at 12 months irrespective of the mileage.
Many dealers will change the oil and filter as a matter of course on all the bikes they sell.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts