Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello every one, from Southamerica Bolivia,
So, I recently bought a Ducati Scrambler fullthrottle 2018 from an italian guy with total of 1850 Km on the odometer. I love the looks of the bike and it`s tons of fun to ride. I nevertheless have run into some issues:
- After having riden it for a week I was caught in heavy rain on the freeway , and all of a sudden the Scrambler dies on me. The dash showed Sidestand error code, Luckily I always carry my Victorinox with me, so (thanks to the info in the forum) I cut though the wires to the sensor and short circuit de green and white cable so that I`m able to get home.
Next day I check Sidestand sensor and realize It was working properly. I happens the problem was the wires melted from heat in the area contacting the engine.
After inspecting carefully the rest of the bike I find almost fully naked wires (stripped of insulation ) under the seat. Fortunately I was the negative wire comming from the battery so, no short circuit danger, anyway I have redone insulation on every stripped wire.
- That had me suspecting over heating od the engine at some point in the past, so I decide to do an oil change, eventough previous owner assured me he had just changed oil at 1000 Km. Big surprise when I do the oil change I find the mesh filter is as good as gone

Go figure, I didn`t install the mesh filter anymore. I will order from the US, but I will take some time to get here (By the way, does anybody know the part number for the filter?).
What do you think ? Might there be permanent damage done to the engine?
For the time being, will the engine work properly without the filter?

Thanks for the feedbak
George

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sure looks like heat that destroyed the strainer. My ICON has 42Kmi and I only found a tiny spec of carbon in it the first time I changed oil. Looked at it recently: nothing in it.

If your bike starts and runs normally and doesn't burn oil I'd guess its OK. I can't imagine the circumstance that would make it so hot.

Two places I've had good luck buying parts:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hello every one, from Southamerica Bolivia,
So, I recently bought a Ducati Scrambler fullthrottle 2018 from an italian guy with total of 1850 Km on the odometer. I love the looks of the bike and it`s tons of fun to ride. I nevertheless have run into some issues:
- After having riden it for a week I was caught in heavy rain on the freeway , and all of a sudden the Scrambler dies on me. The dash showed Sidestand error code, Luckily I always carry my Victorinox with me, so (thanks to the info in the forum) I cut though the wires to the sensor and short circuit de green and white cable so that I`m able to get home.
Next day I check Sidestand sensor and realize It was working properly. I happens the problem was the wires melted from heat in the area contacting the engine.
After inspecting carefully the rest of the bike I find almost fully naked wires (stripped of insulation ) under the seat. Fortunately I was the negative wire comming from the battery so, no short circuit danger, anyway I have redone insulation on every stripped wire.
- That had me suspecting over heating od the engine at some point in the past, so I decide to do an oil change, eventough previous owner assured me he had just changed oil at 1000 Km. Big surprise when I do the oil change I find the mesh filter is as good as gone View attachment 46572

Go figure, I didn`t install the mesh filter anymore. I will order from the US, but I will take some time to get here (By the way, does anybody know the part number for the filter?).
What do you think ? Might there be permanent damage done to the engine?
For the time being, will the engine work properly without the filter?

Thanks for the feedbak
George
This is not normal. I would question the mileage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sure looks like heat that destroyed the strainer. My ICON has 42Kmi and I only found a tiny spec of carbon in it the first time I changed oil. Looked at it recently: nothing in it.

If your bike starts and runs normally and doesn't burn oil I'd guess its OK. I can't imagine the circumstance that would make it so hot.

Two places I've had good luck buying parts:

View attachment 46573
Thanks for the info on the part number for mesh filter. It will prove very useful to get the spare part.

I think maybe the bike was left idling for too long at some point ...

I’m disappointed to say the least ...
For now the bike hasn’t failed at starting and runs normally ...

Oil I changed seemed to be quite dirty.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I would like to know if it would be possible to change the total mileage , to make believe the bike was newer than advertised...
Anyway previous owner doesn’t pickup the phone anymore ...
I guess you could install new speedo. AFAIK you can’t wind the odometer back like you could with mechanical ones. I also understand that the internal computer will probably still keep the correct mileage even if the Speedo is changed so an authorized Ducati dealership may be able to guide you there.
If the bike has only done 1800 km you should be able to tell from things like wear on the tyres and general appearance of the hand grips, foot pegs and other things if that looks about right. Has the bike got the original tyres and what do they look like? The tyres have a manufacture date on the side (look up how to check it) so that will tell you if they are consistent with the age of the bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess you could install new speedo. AFAIK you can’t wind the odometer back like you could with mechanical ones. I also understand that the internal computer will probably still keep the correct mileage even if the Speedo is changed so an authorized Ducati dealership may be able to guide you there.
If the bike has only done 1800 km you should be able to tell from things like wear on the tyres and general appearance of the hand grips, foot pegs and other things if that looks about right. Has the bike got the original tyres and what do they look like? The tyres have a manufacture date on the side (look up how to check it) so that will tell you if they are consistent with the age of the bike.
Thanks for the reply. The general condition of the bike is very good ... original tires almost new ( although I will check manufacturing date ). A part from the things I have discovered, for now the bike doesn’t seem overly used.
VIN number doesn’t appear on US or UK database, but seems to be registered in Italy, since probably this bike was not intended for export.
Bolts on engine match color marking, this tells me engine wasn’t torn apart.
Do you think maybe previous owner left engine running for too long in order to maintain battery (I can only imagine because of the more than 3 months of lockdown we had here en Bolivia ) ... and in doing so it caused overheating ?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Do you think maybe previous owner left engine running for too long in order to maintain battery (I can only imagine because of the more than 3 months of lockdown we had here en Bolivia ) ... and in doing so it caused overheating ?
That is obviously possible but only the previous owner could tell you the answer to that. Leaving a bike running at idle is not a particularly efficient way of charging the battery. At idle very little additional charge is being out into the battery you need more revs for that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is obviously possible but only the previous owner could tell you the answer to that. Leaving a bike running at idle is not a particularly efficient way of charging the battery. At idle very little additional charge is being out into the battery you need more revs for that.
You’re right ... I will inquire previous owner about this possibility.
Anyway I plan to do a short trip to a lake nearby to test te bike with fresh oil. Hope nothing else goes wrong.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Might be worth giving it a good thrash then drain the oil to see if it is dirty or carrying any junk. If it is clean as a whistle you should be fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello Jorge, from another Bolivian!
It sucks that you ran into those issues, I would NOT ride other without the filter.

i used to have a 2019 Icon, I do miss it but the high maintenance costs were too much for me.
Still, I hope you can enjoy the bike, it is pretty fun to ride

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Might be worth giving it a good thrash then drain the oil to see if it is dirty or carrying any junk. If it is clean as a whistle you should be fine.
I’ll do that. As a matter of fact I have just changed the oil last week and I will do some short trips for a month until I get some accessories and new mesh filter I will have shipped from the US . As soon as I get the new filter I’ll put fresh oil in the scrambler again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello Jorge, from another Bolivian!
It sucks that you ran into those issues, I would NOT ride other without the filter.

i used to have a 2019 Icon, I do miss it but the high maintenance costs were too much for me.
Still, I hope you can enjoy the bike, it is pretty fun to ride
Hi, VVoltz. It’s good to hear from a fellow Bolivian. I do love the bike .. according to the manual I don’t rev it past the 5500 rpm, because I haven’t reached yet the 2500km. I’m looking forward to push the bike harder to see what it is capable of, once I’m done breaking the engine in. Any way I was last weekend to the Titikaka lake with the bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi, VVoltz. It’s good to hear from a fellow Bolivian. I do love the bike .. according to the manual I don’t rev it past the 5500 rpm, because I haven’t reached yet the 2500km. I’m looking forward to push the bike harder to see what it is capable of, once I’m done breaking the engine in. Any way I was last weekend to the Titikaka lake with the bike. View attachment 46618
That’s probably a good idea, and I forgot to mention that the melted filter probably helps catching with any metal shavings since the engine is still breaking in.
Enjoy your new Scrambler, it is one hell of a bike!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah, I always do a double oil change on used bikes to flush out everything possible. Something is seriously wrong when the filter looks like that. My fear would be that the filter mesh ended up inside the motor. If you still have the oil filter that was on the bike, I would cut it apart and look for metal and other junk to see what made its way into that motor.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hello George. Sorry to hear of your troubles. That filter looks as if it may have been cleaned in a solvent tank or some other chemical that softened the plastic. I've cleaned mine and have never found too much in there. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I always do a double oil change on used bikes to flush out everything possible. Something is seriously wrong when the filter looks like that. My fear would be that the filter mesh ended up inside the motor. If you still have the oil filter that was on the bike, I would cut it apart and look for metal and other junk to see what made its way into that motor.

That’s a good idea. I do have the old filter, I will cut it apart to see if it caught something. In any case I hope nothing made it’s way in to the motor ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello George. Sorry to hear of your troubles. That filter looks as if it may have been cleaned in a solvent tank or some other chemical that softened the plastic. I've cleaned mine and have never found too much in there. Good luck.
I think it’s possible previous owner tried to clean the mesh filter and ruined it using strong solvent. Bad thing is I couldn’t get a hold of the guy who sold me the bike ...
Good thing is I have a new mesh filter coming from the US , along with a couple of accessories for the Scrambly.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think it’s possible previous owner tried to clean the mesh filter and ruined it using strong solvent. Bad thing is I couldn’t get a hold of the guy who sold me the bike ...
Good thing is I have a new mesh filter coming from the US , along with a couple of accessories for the Scrambly.
Yeah, that could be a possibility too. I don't know the previous owner would have put that damaged filter back in the motor, but people do strange things. Hopefully, you get things sorted out, and no damage to the motor.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts