Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing some work on one of our Scramblers this week, and opened up the airbox to make some modifications, and noticed a bit more dirt/sand in the "clean" side of the airbox than we expected. I recently had another shop upgrade me from stock to a K&N air filter, and upon inspection, found that the little rubber tabs on the K&N filter that (should) terminate out near the sealing channel of the stock airbox were actually protruding out into the sealing channel, preventing the airbox from sealing and leaving a gap down both sides. We trimmed the rubber tabs back and that fixed it, but pretty significant design flaw/quality control issue that could result in engine damage if not caught. I will post some photos from my phone below in a minute...

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have just installed a MWR filter.....in part because the shop did not open up the airbox at my 12 months/ 12,000 km service and I thought the filter should have been serviced as I ride in a very dry dusty environment. The MWR came with no rubber sealing ring but instead slotted inside the stock ring. The whole job was a pain in the ass with the screws having been red loctited in and the Desert Sled fender, the charcoal cannister and crashbars all making what is a service item dreadfully difficult to get to but it all sealed shut fine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have just installed a MWR filter.....in part because the shop did not open up the airbox at my 12 months/ 12,000 km service and I thought the filter should have been serviced as I ride in a very dry dusty environment. The MWR came with no rubber sealing ring but instead slotted inside the stock ring. The whole job was a pain in the ass with the screws having been red loctited in and the Desert Sled fender, the charcoal cannister and crashbars all making what is a service item dreadfully difficult to get to but it all sealed shut fine.
I've seen this in a few other posts, my 2016 didn't have loctite on any of the airbox screws. But to add in, I have done a lot of desert/sand riding and there was sand in my airbox on the pre-filter side.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It used to be a common practice to smear some grease on the sealing edges of the airfilter (still is on offroad bikes). To make sure it seals well.
Yes that is not a bad idea as well, although in this case there was a ~2mm gap about 6 inches long on each side of the airbox, so that wouldn't help much here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice post killboy, I checked my filter after I saw this post because I put the same one in.

I had some sand in my airbox before I changed to the K&N. And I think that is a common problem with this airbox.
There are a few other posts on these forums about people finding sand in their lower airbox.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also I am happy to see you on here killboy. I talked to you this July on a trip to the Dragon when you were putting the bars and instrument relocator on your scrambler. It turned out really nice! I have a white desert sled.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also I am happy to see you on here killboy. I talked to you this July on a trip to the Dragon when you were putting the bars and instrument relocator on your scrambler. It turned out really nice! I have a white desert sled.

Nice! Yeah I remember ya. Hope you had fun out here and make it back soon. Had a great day of riding today running with some Sportbikes and supermotos.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts