Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I had a Yamaha XSR700, which I loved, however it was stolen in November :-(
After a fairly lengthy process I've now had a pay-out and looking to re-buy.

Out of interest I test rode the Scrambler 800 and 1100 and actually prefer their engines and seat position.
However, I keep my bikes outside (have no garage), usually under a rain cover.

I was wondering if anyone else keeps their 800 or 1100 outside (UK ideally) and could let me know if it's manageable, with a bit of care, or not. A few of the design features (e.g. the metal fastening of the brake hose above the speedometer) seem like they would quickly pool water in them and likely rust?

Thank you.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I'm in Sydney Aus, so probably not the best example, though I'm sure others will be along soon.

We do get rain and lots of it at times (particularly this year!) My bike is 5 years old this October and as always lived outside mostly undercover. I do plug it into a battery conditioner if I leave it abandoned for a few weeks for whatever reason – it's in my yard so I can trail an extension lead out to it easy enough.

I've had no issues related to it being kept outside. There is one annoying rusty washer on the rear exhaust heat shield I've been meaning to replace forever but it's a pig to get to so I just look at it every now and then and grumble. I personally haven't had any electrical issues. Some have reported the indicator lenses filling with water but I fitted the LEDs so mine are fine.

I probably use my bike at least a couple of times a week throughout the year and it's been fine.

Hopefully a Brit will be along soon with more comparable conditions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I keep my 800 under a custom rain cover on the patio and with the addition of some xcp rust blocker on the sump plugs and occasional starting up over winter it has been totally fine outside. The odd snail fucks up and creeps up onto the engine but that's his mistake...

·
Registered
748 Posts
All our bikes stay outside under rain covers but they are also under a roof so they don't get directly rained on. Melbourne is of course different to the UK. Where I live we get about 1500mm of rain a year but climate wise the bikes can really be ridden almost every day if we want to put waterproofs on not like the UK where bikes tend to be stored over winter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Deano968, Cafe Racer Baz abd K1W1 for your kind replies (apologies for the delay my end, I had some trouble re-logging in).

Intriguing... possibly it is an option for me then. It's quite a sheltered area and I would be using a rain cover + using regularly/could put the battery on trickle charge... I'll look into it some more...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I keep my Cafe Racer under a cover. I would make sure it is the best you can get. Try to start it atleast once a week and maybe wipe any condensation off light and odometer. That should not be a problem though, they are pretty solid bike's
I kept my Ducati 999 under a cover for years and never had a problem. I put it in a front wheel chok and lock it to that. You need the key to start it, I mean because of the sensor. Like a car. Does not mean someone cannot run off with it, just makes it harder to do. Not everyone has a garage. Sometimes I look out my window and look at it under the cover and feel bad for it. It deserves better. BUT NO GARAGE...also you can spray some 3m or equivalent water proofer on the cover for extra protection.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts