Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello
Awesome!
I'm wondering if you change the front wheel size?
How do you like them?
The wheel diameters are the same than original ones.
The rear rim is a little bit bigger : 5.0" instead of 4.5". It doesn't matter with the tyre, that still fits the rim.

I really appreciate them. The bike steering seems to be a little bit easier as the wheel are really less heavy.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At least you’re saving the weight of tubes...
More than that... I haven't weigthed the original ones nor these ones, but the guy who mounted the tyres and disks on my Kineo wheels told me they are really less heavy than the original ones. Original rims are steel made, Kineo rims are aluminium made, much less dense metal.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I love the fact that they’re tubeless and have stainless spokes, but my eyes (and OCD) can’t get used to the puckered looks. Must be a b*tch to clean with all those nooks and crannies...

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Original rims are aluminium
You're right, sorry for the mistake.

I should have weigthed the original wheels with tyres, tubes, sprocket and disks and same with the new ones.
When mounting the new ones, I felt they are lighter and the guy who mounted the tyres and disks told me so.

·
Registered
143 Posts
You're right, sorry for the mistake.

I should have weigthed the original wheels with tyres, tubes, sprocket and disks and same with the new ones.
When mounting the new ones, I felt they are lighter and the guy who mounted the tyres and disks told me so.
I'd LOVE to know the weight difference of the bare wheels between the Kineo and stock.

I'm not keen on the 5" rear rim, I want to go narrower to 4.25" or 4" if I could get it. I love the tubeless right out of the box.

I've searched for other proper tubeless rim setups for the Sled and nothing comes up. I've contacted 2 wheel builders and it looks like I can get them built with Excel tubed type rims with SS spokes in various widths, but you have to tape the rims to go tubeless. The best price I found was from Dubya in SoCal but they won't tape them. Woody's in Colorado will build the wheels and tape the rims but they are 2x the price.

I've asked about getting the type of rims Yamaha and BMW use for tubeless but they appear to be proprietary.

I'm trying to figure out how much weight I'd save going with a 2.5" wide front and 4.25" wide rear rim which are more standard ADV rim sizes. I'd like a 4" wide but Excel doesn't make a 4" in 17", next step is 3.5".

The other aspect of the narrower rims is it gives the tires a more rounded profile vs the flatter profile of the wider rims.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There are at least a half dozen threads on ADVrider detailing how to convert tubed wheels to tubeless using 3M tape. The nearly universal feedback is that it’s a viable and safe mod as long as there’s a safety bead on the wheel. I’ll be converting the wheels on my Street Classic at the first tire change. I wouldn’t do it on a Desert Sled that’s ridden hard because it makes adjusting the spokes a PITA but I doubt I’ll ever need to adjust them on my bike. A roll of tape is under $15.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Many people have had bad luck with sealing the front rim on the Sled (me included). The spoke holes are very close to the edge of deep well in the rim which makes it very hard to seal them properly.

·
Registered
143 Posts
There are at least a half dozen threads on ADVrider detailing how to convert tubed wheels to tubeless using 3M tape. The nearly universal feedback is that it’s a viable and safe mod as long as there’s a safety bead on the wheel. I’ll be converting the wheels on my Street Classic at the first tire change. I wouldn’t do it on a Desert Sled that’s ridden hard because it makes adjusting the spokes a PITA but I doubt I’ll ever need to adjust them on my bike. A roll of tape is under $15.
I was given the hint by a tech at Dubya wheels to fill the area around the nipple with RTV, let it set up, then tape it. It both adds a cushion to prevent piercing the tape but also if you have to adjust the spokes later the spoke nipple will turn under the RTV and not bother the tape.

The other tip is to use a heat gun to make the tape more pliable and allow you to really form it down nicely.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts