Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time posting here, but I have been looking at the forum for a few months before buying my Scrambler. I wanted a motorcycle for years but I only bought one this September after I saw it in the Ducati dealership. I got a Scrambler Icon in red and immediately started riding.
Unfortunately the weather here changed very fast and I only got to ride the bike about 700 km before it got really cold and rainy. I wanted to finish the 1000 km break-in period before I put the bike in the garage for the winter, but now it seems too cold to do any more riding this year.

So I will probably finish the break in period and do the 1000 km check next year in spring. Is there a problem if I leave the bike over the winter with the original engine oil? I spoke to the mechanic at the local Ducati shop and they said it's not a problem, but I wanted to ask you guys here in case someone is really knowledgeable about this issue.
Is it ok to wait a few months and finish the break in period next year, or should I brave the cold and rain and finish it this year? Does it matter if I leave the bike with the break-in oil over the winter in my garage?

·
Registered
199 Posts
No it doesn't matter.

But the fact that you have a new bike that has hardly been ridden and will not be ridden because 'It's a bit chilly' means that you should immediately hand the bike back to the dealer and hand in your 'Man Card' at the same time.

As Billy Conelly once said. .... There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Does it matter if I leave the bike with the break-in oil over the winter in my garage?
Don't worry about it - as Airsafari87 said, it doesn't matter.

No it doesn't matter.

But the fact that you have a new bike that has hardly been ridden and will not be ridden because 'It's a bit chilly' means that you should immediately hand the bike back to the dealer and hand in your 'Man Card' at the same time.

As Billy Conelly once said. .... There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.
Does it meant he should drive a motorcycle even if it's -20 °C? First of all it's dangerous as the ground is very cold and tires will never warm up enough, thus traction doesn't exist. Second of all it's not pleasure any more.
Don't be rude and conceited.

·
Registered
792 Posts
How bad does the weather get where you are? My days of moto-commuting all winter are done with but I really do enjoy the odd 'fresh' winters day ride when the sun pops out for a moment!

Any bike that has been stood still all winter, I would personally have serviced before I start riding again. That's quite a while for moving parts not to have moved and oil not to move about and get warm... So normally I'd suggest having the bike serviced as winter ends but from what I've been told, doing the first service/oil change early, is a really bad idea.

Plus the oil that's in there will be the thicker(?) run in stuff, and that needs to be in there for the whole break in period.

Doing it a bit late isn't a problem apparently but never early. So if you can't get those last 300km in now, I guess the best option is to get them done ASAP next season and get it in for it's first service in the spring.

Make sure you book the service well in advance though. Early spring is peak time for dealerships servicing bikes and there is often a waiting list stretching out for months!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Well I don't know about the rest of you but here in New England winter means, , snow, , ice, wind, and temps that get get to well below zero Fahrenheit. . that being said I do keep my bike ready to go all winter long for those occasional clear days in the 40's and 50's, , ,again.. Fahrenheit.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Don't worry about it - as Airsafari87 said, it doesn't matter.

Does it meant he should drive a motorcycle even if it's -20 °C? First of all it's dangerous as the ground is very cold and tires will never warm up enough, thus traction doesn't exist. Second of all it's not pleasure any more.
Don't be rude and conceited.
Chill. No need for an absence in humour.
You are correct, riding across a glacier may be a bad idea. Riding through a puddle, less so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts