Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just trying to shed as much weight as i can from my sixty2. can anyone recommend any specific battery models? anyone know the weight of the stock battery?

i assume lithium is the lightest option, but what about AGM? i hear they're more reliable in the cold? (i live in canada and will be riding in part of the colder, freezing months as well)

·
Registered
893 Posts
Don’t do it.
First. AGM stands for Absorbant Glass Mat. Basically it is just a fiberglass layer between the battery plates that holds the battery fluid in suspension rather than having it as the consistency of water and simply slopping around. I have not looked but I assume that the OEM battery may well be AGM anyway. AGM batteries save minuscule amounts of weight over flooded cell batteries. If you are buying a replacement and you have a choice I would suggest AGM from a safety point of view. If you want to save weight it is not worth the cost for the saving.
Never ever use a Lithium battery in a system not designed for lithium. Lithium batteries are incredibly dangerous and the primary problem with them is thermal runaway from overcharging. If you have a charging system not specifically designed for Lithium cells your chances of thermal runaway are reasonably high.If your Lithium battery catches fire kiss your bike and probably your house if it is in the garage goodbye.
If the 62 is to be a show bike and rarely actually ridden there would be an argument for a Lithium battery on a size basis if it is a day to day ride all you are doing is adding a potential bomb to your motorcycle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am unconcerned about the safety factor as many high performance riders have safely switched to lithium IRON (not ion) batteries such as Shorai.

I am very concerned about the reliability of lithium iron batteries. Their failure rate is high, and they require special care.

Additionally, they require a special starting technique when temperatures drop.

I've been tempted many, many times, but have never left the world of lead-acid batteries. If I really want to lose 7# or so, I'll take it off my gut. ;-)

(Though heavy, I actually favor the nearly indestructible Odyssey battery.)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don’t do it.
First. AGM stands for Absorbant Glass Mat. Basically it is just a fiberglass layer between the battery plates that holds the battery fluid in suspension rather than having it as the consistency of water and simply slopping around. I have not looked but I assume that the OEM battery may well be AGM anyway. AGM batteries save minuscule amounts of weight over flooded cell batteries. If you are buying a replacement and you have a choice I would suggest AGM from a safety point of view. If you want to save weight it is not worth the cost for the saving.
Never ever use a Lithium battery in a system not designed for lithium. Lithium batteries are incredibly dangerous and the primary problem with them is thermal runaway from overcharging. If you have a charging system not specifically designed for Lithium cells your chances of thermal runaway are reasonably high.If your Lithium battery catches fire kiss your bike and probably your house if it is in the garage goodbye.
If the 62 is to be a show bike and rarely actually ridden there would be an argument for a Lithium battery on a size basis if it is a day to day ride all you are doing is adding a potential bomb to your motorcycle.
you're right i think the stock battery is already AGM

·
Registered
20 Posts
There’s a cheap ass Walmart battery that’s SUPER light by a company called parts unlimited. It’s the YT12B-BS of course.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts