Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, fellow Sled owners (sled-heads?)

Rather than get a generic off-the -shelf set of tools, or try to rely on the factory kit, I'm hoping someone has already compiled a list of what sizes and shapes are needed? My goal is to expand on (or maybe just supplant) the factory kit. I think the shock adjusting hook looked like the only thing worth saving out of the factory kit, maybe the hex wrenches. It looks all looks flimsy though.

The common road/trail repairs I can think of are adjusting the chain, adjusting the headlamp, replacing bulbs, taking the wheels off, sizes for bar clamps, clutch perch and lever, brake perch and lever, brake reservoirs, removing bodywork. I'm stocking a generic tool roll. If you have other thoughts of things to add to a kit, please share. Thanks.

BTW: I will likely edit this first post to include summary of what I build out later, for easy reference.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Don’t over think it. Modern bikes rarely break down and generally if they do you cant fix them beside the trail or road anyway.

My on the bike tool list
Phone with roadside assistance number programmed
Credit card
Tubeless tyre repair kit. Plugs and the tools needed to fit them, half a dozen 16g CO2 cartridges to reinflate the tyre to a level it can be ridden on
A couple of longish cable ties to hold anything lose.
Ditto some gaffer tape
A multi tool of some sort
Factory tool kit

My at home tool kit is obviously way more extensive and includes basically anything required to do anything to the bike including all the correct sized spanners sockets hex and torx drivers, torque wrench and screw drivers plus wire strippers, crispers, screw drivers, multimeter, etc.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I removed a bunch of tools from the stock kit except for the spark plug- and allen keys, and replaced it with a Leatherman clone, a decent tire repair kit (Dynaplug Pro) and enough CO2 cartridges.

Of course I carry my phone, warranty card, credit card etc, but I am well aware the biggest risk of getting stranded is a flat tire...

·
Registered
102 Posts
I added some wrenches to the onboard toolkit. Size 10 seems especially useful. I don't have a tire repair kit as I don't have tubeless rims. Changing the tube on the side of the road seems highly unrealistic with this bike and chain maintenance is done at home so I don't carry the tools for that. If I were to seal the spokes, certainly I would expand the toolkit to cover the wheel stuff.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anybody want to cough up the exact tools needed to adjust the chain? I'm not calling roadside assistance for that, and might want to do that mid trip? Are those included in the stock kit?

--
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
734 Posts
you can carry many tools, but if you don't know how to use them, then better ride with a friend who knows how to work on bikes

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I removed a bunch of tools from the stock kit except for the spark plug- and allen keys, and replaced it with a Leatherman clone, a decent tire repair kit (Dynaplug Pro) and enough CO2 cartridges.

Of course I carry my phone, warranty card, credit card etc, but I am well aware the biggest risk of getting stranded is a flat tire...
Well, that didn’t take long. Found this in my rear tire today...

FF1A0446-7E63-41C5-A5A2-CA899CADF5D2.jpeg

Easily fixed using the Dynaplug

F6C7818E-74FC-48DE-8EE0-CBCA5AA86D25.jpeg

And on my way within 15 minutes.

(Seriously glad I switched to tubeless...)

·
Registered
22 Posts
My biggest fear.... other than hitting a deer! Since I'm not tubeless I'm thinking of a can of fix a flat for the tube?!

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I tried that years ago, which worked. Succes rate largely depends on how long you have ridden with that screw or nail in the tire.

My tire looks nice again:

IMG_5194.jpg

I have also seen once where a can of fixaflat decided to go off inside a backpack.... oops

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good to know! I would just need to get home or dealer for new tire. I have the wear and tear plan and full maintence plan.
I'd like to do the tubeless...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Max YES! and All scheduled service up to 6 majors in 3 yrs. It's an extension warranty and add on for wear, tear, and scheduled service. Tire wear not included if they go to the wear indicators.

So similar to my BMW car. which is what I wanted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Meanwhile, I'm up to just a 30mm spanner for the rear axle nut as the only real information provided in this thread... :eyeroll: When I finally get hands on with my bike I will circle back with a list.

--
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 48 Posts