Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Shoei RF-1200 and I pair of iASUS XSound3 speakers in my helmet. The speakers are excellent but...

I have not to date figured out a way to listen to music. If I wear earplugs I barely hear the music. If I don't, I'm damaging my ears from wind noise, my exhaust noise and probably the music as well.

I didn't go the earbud route because I was never able to put on my helmet with any earbuds on. With a proper fitted helmet, it was impossible for me to put the helmet over.

Also, blue tooth earbuds don't last long (battery life).

What are you all doing to listen to music in your helmet without destroying your ears?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a Shoei RF-1200 and I pair of iASUS XSound3 speakers in my helmet. The speakers are excellent but...

I have not to date figured out a way to listen to music. If I wear earplugs I barely hear the music. If I don't, I'm damaging my ears from wind noise, my exhaust noise and probably the music as well.

I didn't go the earbud route because I was never able to put on my helmet with any earbuds on. With a proper fitted helmet, it was impossible for me to put the helmet over.

What are you all doing to listen to music in your helmet without destroying your ears?
New forum member long time rider...

I use in ear monitors by Fit-Ear. They will show up at the motorcycle events and races and make a mold of your ear. I had an older set that were fairly cheap, about $150USD, and sued them for years. I updated to the $600 dual driver hard plastic ones a couple of years ago, and these isolate the wind excellent, and have incredible sound quality. The only difference between these and musician plugs are that the wires exit at a different place. I was using the SENA 10S, but just moved to the Cardo Packtalk Bold.

None of the "helmet systems" put out by the manufacturers are very good. They all seem to cheap out someplace. the JBL speakers in the Packtalk Bold might fit the bill for music and work over ear plugs. I'll ask my wife after our ride this weekend.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New forum member long time rider...

I use in ear monitors by Fit-Ear. They will show up at the motorcycle events and races and make a mold of your ear. I had an older set that were fairly cheap, about $150USD, and sued them for years. I updated to the $600 dual driver hard plastic ones a couple of years ago, and these isolate the wind excellent, and have incredible sound quality. The only difference between these and musician plugs are that the wires exit at a different place. I was using the SENA 10S, but just moved to the Cardo Packtalk Bold.

None of the "helmet systems" put out by the manufacturers are very good. They all seem to cheap out someplace. the JBL speakers in the Packtalk Bold might fit the bill for music and work over ear plugs. I'll ask my wife after our ride this weekend.
Thanks for the info, too expensive for my budget though.

What you said about SENA etc is correct, that's why I went with iASUS. They are in a different league compared to speakers one gets with the purchase of a communication system.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Similar to JStrube I use a Cardo Packtalk Slim which was fine via speakers even with ear plugs but I since upgraded to moulded earplugs with headphones inside after a string recommendation from a friend. Here

£180 but worth every penny. All but eliminates wind noise and Comms/music are super clear.

If you didn't want to use a comm system to plug them into then you it's a 3.5mm to plug into your phone via an adapter or whatever your phone needs

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I have a Cardo system with the supplied headphones. They're fine bumbling around town when I'm too lazy to put ear plugs in but on the open road when I tend to plug-up I can here music but it's not the best solution.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used a set of cheap earbuds with foam tips I bought on Amazon and they worked great. The foam tips work very well as ear plugs, but it was hard to keep them in when i put on my helmet. Directional earbuds would work best, there seem to be a good amount of low profile types on the market.

Now i have a sena that i use with ear plugs, but I don't bother listening to music because it sounds terrible.

IMO earbuds with foam tips are one of the best options if you can get them to work with your helmet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Per my wife, her Packtalk Bold JBL speakers are not quite loud enough. The molded plug/monitors definitely win!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Bloody stupid idea listening to music whilst on a bike. How can you concentrate 100%. Obviously you are not advanced riders.
A quick way into your box. Your choice.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Bloody stupid idea listening to music whilst on a bike. How can you concentrate 100%. Obviously you are not advanced riders.
A quick way into your box. Your choice.
I can concentrate 100% just fine.

Do everyone a favour and mind your own business if you have nothing to contribute to the question at hand from my original post. You obviously have no idea what common courtesy is or how to treat/speak to others, especially someone you have never met.

Thanks for your concerns.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can go the earbud route, but it helps to have the ones that go over your ear. This is what I use: MEE Audio M6 Pro. Normally, when I'm not riding, I use memory foam tips. But when I am riding I switch out the tips to the cheap rubber ones that came with them. And I use the small ones so that they don't seal well in my ear. That way I can still hear what's going on around me along with the music or navigation. Also, when putting your helmet on, if you grab the chin straps and pull outwards on the helmet to make it a bit wider it helps the keep from pulling them out of your ear. I have an HJC RPHA 70 which has a pretty narrow entry and most of the time do not have a problem.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can go the earbud route, but it helps to have the ones that go over your ear. This is what I use: MEE Audio M6 Pro. Normally, when I'm not riding, I use memory foam tips. But when I am riding I switch out the tips to the cheap rubber ones that came with them. And I use the small ones so that they don't seal well in my ear. That way I can still hear what's going on around me along with the music or navigation. Also, when putting your helmet on, if you grab the chin straps and pull outwards on the helmet to make it a bit wider it helps the keep from pulling them out of your ear. I have an HJC RPHA 70 which has a pretty narrow entry and most of the time do not have a problem.
These look pretty good. From the picture I see online, they sit flush with the ear?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah they sit flush. These are designed for musicians to use on stage so they're suppose to be blend into the ear and not stick out. Once my helmet is on, there's no issue. Plenty of room and they're not pressing on my ears or anything. Actually, they kind of wiggle a bit loose sometimes because I'm using those rubber tips that are a bit small.

I'm sure there are a lot of different in-ear type headphones that would work just as well. The big thing is that the cable routes up and over your ear. That's what's going to help keep them in place while putting your helmet on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts