Ducati Scrambler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
2021 Ducati Desert Sled
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey folks
A big thanks to everyone for their insights and posts over the past many months. I bought a 21 Desert Sled on a great deal earlier this year, after having not been back on a bike for nearly 10 years, after a nasty accident on my previous Harley.

I'm totally in love with this bike, and have regained my confidence being on two wheels. The amount of backcountry roads and trails here in Colorado are amazing, and until this recent blast of cold, I was enjoying exploring terrain I couldn't access before with a bigger vehicle. Somehow I already racked up 6k miles on the thing.

I've done a bunch of customization on the Sled, including a Hepco & Becker Rear Rack, Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled Fasthouse Engine Guard Protector, rectifier, oil cooler and brake guards, a new seat concepts seat, barkbusters handguards, some side panels, to replace the cheap plastic ones that came on it and to provide a mounting point for bungie cords, new footpegs, Termignoni exhaust (super loud) new tool roll for under the seat, bigger kickstand foot, and a couple of fuel bottles to get me back to a fuel station when I've gone a bit too far off track.

Some things I've learned:
1. Don't leave your cell phone charger mount on overnight, as it will kill your battery.
2. Playing around with the position of the shifter has been a big improvement on shifting reliability in big boots
3. A bigger windscreen is nice, but not my style
4. Love the ability to turn off ABS when driving off road
5. A bigger kickstand foot is critical on loose gravel and sand while on the trails
6. When the fuel gauge is showing empty, it's relative to how you're riding. I've often gained another 10 miles on an "empty" tank by riding conservatively. But when it does finally run out of gas, you'll know it. Complete fall off of power is quick.
7. Playing with tire pressure makes a big improvement between on-road and off-road driving.
8. Don't use exhaust wrap on your Ducati. It may look cool, but it overheats the engine and you'll get yelled at by your mechanic.
9. This thing turns heads. I get so many people commenting on it, and pointing it out as i'm driving around. Takes some getting used to after being on a Harley that no one notices.
10. This could also have something to do with the pipes. Termignoni makes some loud ass pipes. I found the OEM pipes to be really quiet, and it was hard to hear the engine with a full face helmet. The louder pipes have helped me to better hear and be in tune with the engine through shifts, while also bringing more awareness that i'm nearby other drivers. (We have some interesting drivers out here in CO)

Happy to answer any questions you might have, and if folks have suggestions on the best way to sell my OEM exhaust, seat, windscreen, and other random parts that came off the bike, I'm open to guidance.

Cloud Sky Wheel Tire Vehicle

Cloud Tire Sky Wheel Plant

Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Fuel tank

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Bicycle tire Automotive tire

· Registered
2020 Ducati Scrambler Icon Black 800
163 Posts
I love your bike!
How much of a difference did the seat make (I really like it)? Did you send them your original seat to do the upgrade (I see their website says the pan is not included)?

...oh, & welcome to the site 😁

· Registered
2021 Ducati Desert Sled
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love your bike!
How much of a difference did the seat make (I really like it)? Did you send them your original seat to do the upgrade (I see their website says the pan is not included)?

I love your bike!

Thanks! It made a huge different IMO. The one up style is better for my riding needs, and the extra inch of padding was better on my backside and also better fits my leg length. Overall I'm really pleased with it. I ordered an OEM seat and seat pan on ebay (just in case i ruined mine in the process) and took it to a local upholstery place to get it glued and fitted. Cost a bit more but the peace of mind is priceless. Now I have backup 2 up seat if I can ever convince my wife to get on the back of it.

· Registered
17 Café sCrAmBlE rAcEr
41 Posts
Here also Ryd'n round Colorful Colorado. Nice machine u have. Im in 4 a group ryd but my 17 Café dose not do dirt. Glad 2 read ur machine inspired ur confidence again. The platform in any of its various configuration is just plain fun. Definitely puts a smile on my face. Put 13k this year on mine just commuting 2 & frm work definitely worth every penny. Maybe I'll c u on I-25 or 285 or maybe on 85 or perhaps 110 who knows so many great roads in Colorado am i right .. :)
#rydsafe

· Registered
2021 Ducati Desert Sled
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here also Ryd'n round Colorful Colorado. Nice machine u have. Im in 4 a group ryd but my 17 Café dose not do dirt. Glad 2 read ur machine inspired ur confidence again. The platform in any of its various configuration is just plain fun. Definitely puts a smile on my face. Put 13k this year on mine just commuting 2 & frm work definitely worth every penny. Maybe I'll c u on I-25 or 285 or maybe on 85 or perhaps 110 who knows so many great roads in Colorado am i right .. :)
#rydsafe
So many great choices for sure! Thanks and hope to see you out there 🙌

· Registered
28 Posts
Welcome to the club! I have a 22 DS love it and my idea is to turn it into ADV type bike for mostly mild off road though I been on some gnarly trails some which I don’t mind.

interesting choice in pegs 🤔 you have there. Are you gearing more towards road use? I’m so torn in peg selection so I haven’t gotten any (looking for good dirt ones)

· Registered
2021 Ducati Desert Sled
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome to the club! I have a 22 DS love it and my idea is to turn it into ADV type bike for mostly mild off road though I been on some gnarly trails some which I don’t mind.

interesting choice in pegs 🤔 you have there. Are you gearing more towards road use? I’m so torn in peg selection so I haven’t gotten any (looking for good dirt ones)
Hey thanks!
Yeah ultimately I'll be doing long rides on road and dirt, kind of a quasi adventure setup. Most of my current driving is roads and dirt fire roads. These pegs are an experiment, but so far they do a good job. Good grip, and long enough to stand on without a problem. I'll likely go with toothier pair of off-road pegs once I'm doing more of that kind of riding. The original pegs felt too small and slippy.

If you have suggestions, I'm always interested in what options are out there.

· Registered
46 Posts
Hey folks
A big thanks to everyone for their insights and posts over the past many months. I bought a 21 Desert Sled on a great deal earlier this year, after having not been back on a bike for nearly 10 years, after a nasty accident on my previous Harley.

I'm totally in love with this bike, and have regained my confidence being on two wheels. The amount of backcountry roads and trails here in Colorado are amazing, and until this recent blast of cold, I was enjoying exploring terrain I couldn't access before with a bigger vehicle. Somehow I already racked up 6k miles on the thing.

I've done a bunch of customization on the Sled, including a Hepco & Becker Rear Rack, Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled Fasthouse Engine Guard Protector, rectifier, oil cooler and brake guards, a new seat concepts seat, barkbusters handguards, some side panels, to replace the cheap plastic ones that came on it and to provide a mounting point for bungie cords, new footpegs, Termignoni exhaust (super loud) new tool roll for under the seat, bigger kickstand foot, and a couple of fuel bottles to get me back to a fuel station when I've gone a bit too far off track.

1. Don't leave your cell phone charger mount on overnight, as it will kill your battery.
2. Playing around with the position of the shifter has been a big improvement on shifting reliability in big boots
5. A bigger kickstand foot is critical on loose gravel and sand while on the trails
6. When the fuel gauge is showing empty, it's relative to how you're riding. I've often gained another 10 miles on an "empty" tank by riding conservatively. But when it does finally run out of gas, you'll know it. Complete fall off of power is quick.
7. Playing with tire pressure makes a big improvement between on-road and off-road driving.
8. Don't use exhaust wrap on your Ducati. It may look cool, but it overheats the engine and you'll get yelled at by your mechanic.
9. This thing turns heads. I get so many people commenting on it, and pointing it out as i'm driving around. Takes some getting used to after being on a Harley that no one notices.
10. This could also have something to do with the pipes. Termignoni makes some loud ass pipes. I found the OEM pipes to be really quiet, and it was hard to hear the engine with a full face helmet. The louder pipes have helped me to better hear and be in tune with the engine through shifts, while also bringing more awareness that i'm nearby other drivers. (We have some interesting drivers out here in CO)

Happy to answer any questions you might have, and if folks have suggestions on the best way to sell my OEM exhaust, seat, windscreen, and other random parts that came off the bike, I'm open to guidance.

View attachment 50436
View attachment 50435
View attachment 50437
View attachment 50434
View attachment 50433
P
Hey folks

View attachment 50436
View attachment 50435
View attachment 50437
View attachment 50434
View attachment 50433
Your bike looks so great, and excellent mod choices believe! Mine is setup similarly, except I installed broad off-road pegs (great for standing), bar-end mirrors (better visibility) and converted the rims to tubeless (peace of mind whilst riding solo or off-road). I like those side panels, can you share the brand/source? Oh, I just now finished installing a G2 quick turn 600x throttle tube- itching to ride but it’s nasty outside for a while:(

· Registered
46 Posts
P

Your bike looks so great, and excellent mod choices believe! Mine is setup similarly, except I installed broad off-road pegs (great for standing), bar-end mirrors (better visibility) and converted the rims to tubeless (peace of mind whilst riding solo or off-road). I like those side panels, can you share the brand/source? Oh, I just now finished installing a G2 quick turn 600x throttle tube- itching to ride but it’s nasty outside for a while:(
I forgot, I also use axle sliders and they have saved my bike and my wallet!

· Registered
2021 Ducati Desert Sled
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
P

Thanks so much! There are the panels I bought off amazon. what pegs did you go with? I'm looking for an alternative to the one's I have now

· Registered
28 Posts
P

ohh did you go about your tubeless?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts