Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum and seeking some of your advice. I love the Ducati Scramblers and a 2015 Classic model (800cc) with a 2-1 Full Performance Termignoni exhaust came for sale in my area. I just sold my DR-Z400 and looking to get more of a street bike.

The bike only has 500 miles and the original owner stated it already has had the 600 mile service, lives it's life hooked up to a battery tender in the garage and very rarely gets ridden due to work schedule.

We started the bike up last night and it sounded great and idled fine for a couple minutes before shutting it off.

From the maintenance schedule it looks like the bike would be due for belts and fluids due to sitting so long.

Is there anything else I should be concerned about with such low miles on a 5 year old bike? I am also interested in the G2 throttle tamer to soften the acceleration on this model.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I am also interested in the G2 throttle tamer to soften the acceleration on this model
Sounds like a good find. I'll let others chat more about the bike being laid-up (I'm not qualified :)). However, on the G2… If I were you I'd live with the bike as-is for a while. Many on here prefer the original 'peppy' throttle. I for one was a little shocked for the first few hundred miles (I have a 2015 Icon), even buying a G2 but I never fitted it, getting used to the 2015 throttle action and learning to like it.

·
Registered
801 Posts
As it has been sitting for 5 years effectively I would swap out the battery and both tyres. The battery is near the end of its design life regardless of whether it's been on a tender and unless the tyres have been pumped up really hard and rotated regularly there is a good chance that flat spots will have appeared where they have been in contact with the ground. It's not a good idea to use tyres that are more than about 5 years old anyway the compounds tend to degrade over time.
Take the cost of these items into account during your negotiations on price. If you get the service done plus batteries and tyres you will effectively have a brand new bike so go for it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I ended up picking it up - nice bike! It rides a lot different than the 2002 DR-Z I was using as a starter bike. So much smoother, tighter, and puts a smile on my face.

I plan on bringing it in for some maintenance and riding the heck out of it. What an awesome bike, +1 Ducati

The high mount Termi exhaust gives a great exhaust note to boot!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you guys changing belts every 5 years? Local shop (non-Ducati) wants $400 for this service. Bike only has 600 miles on it. Appreciate any advise. Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Are you guys changing belts every 5 years? Local shop (non-Ducati) wants $400 for this service. Bike only has 600 miles on it. Appreciate any advise. Thanks.
Every 5 years seems kind of late, last I remember it was every 2 and have read every 3, but since yours has been sitting for a while who knows. $400 seems like a lot considering it's not very laborious. If you're up for it, the actual job isn't that difficult and if you don't want to pay OEM prices I'm using these belts Ca Cycleworks ExactFit™ Timing Belt for Ducati Scrambler, 796, 696 (each) and they work just fine.

Take a look:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Every 5 years seems kind of late, last I remember it was every 2 and have read every 3, but since yours has been sitting for a while who knows. $400 seems like a lot considering it's not very laborious. If you're up for it, the actual job isn't that difficult and if you don't want to pay OEM prices I'm using these belts Ca Cycleworks ExactFit™ Timing Belt for Ducati Scrambler, 796, 696 (each) and they work just fine.

Take a look:
Cool -- thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
6 Posts
How do you like the bike so far? I own this same bike. Here are my thoughts on the throttle. Dont change it. I got used to the acceleration and now really like it. I changed the sprockets (easy $$ fix) to give a little more juice to the top end speed (which also helped highway travel) and it took just enough away from the speed off the line. Now i love it!!!! Also the clutch will eventually break in which also helps the issue

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love the bike, absolute blast to ride.

Trying to figure out seat upgrade options now. The stock one is uncomfortable after about 45 mins and also pushes me too far forward on the bike into the tank.

Currently considering the Seat Concepts or Corsa Moto kit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have about three or four different seats that i have tried. I currently use this mustang seat which is VERY comfortable, but i wish the cutout was about 1 to 2 inches back. How tall are you? I am only 5'6". If you choose a seat with a straight bench then it won't matter obviously. However, If you are taller than me and wish to use a seat with a cutout you might want to check out the corbin gunfighter seat. Feel free to ask any questions. I have spent a LOT of time customizing my Scrambler. I also have a lot spare parts if you need anything.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool - thank you Thomas. I'm 6' and find the seat height of the scrambler at stock to be quite comfortable, especially compared to the DR-Z400 I was riding previously. I would not want to go any lower, possibly a tad higher.

I was looking at the Seat Concepts and Corsa Moto options of recovering the seat pan I already have. While I would love a Russell Day Long or Corbin, I'm not ready to pay $600+ yet.

The mustang drops the seat height a bit, correct?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes the mustang drops the height, as does the corbin as well. Seat Concepts looks like a real good option for what you are doing. FYI ... i also have a DRZ400!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts