Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a surprise birthday gift of a 2015 Scrambler today!! SO happy!! I currently ride a BMW 700GS with hydraulic clutch and am looking to put one on the new bike. Magura made the one for the GS but they don't seem to do one for the Scrambler. Any suggested clutches?? Thanks so much in advance!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No suggestions, but why do you need a hydraulic clutch at first modification? What's wrong with the stock one? Try it for some weeks first.
Thanks for the post! It's a long reach and hard to pull for me...I have small hands :( I have ridden for many many years and always have to mod my rides to accommodate my size and strength.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
With a bit of sourcing, you can convert it to hydraulic using only Ducati parts.

basically:
Clutch cover
Push rod
Slave cylinder
Hose
Master cylinder
(anything I overlooked @Hui ?)

That said, a new cable and an adjustable lever could just do the trick for a lot less... Scrambler clutches shouldn’t have a heavy pull...

succes!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
With a bit of sourcing, you can convert it to hydraulic using only Ducati parts.

basically:
Clutch cover
Push rod
Slave cylinder
Hose
Master cylinder
(anything I overlooked @Hui ?)

That said, a new cable and an adjustable lever could just do the trick for a lot less... Scrambler clutches shouldn’t have a heavy pull...

succes!
Well, generally speaking hydraulic clutch activation (slave) fit to the left side of the engine beside the sprocket with a pushrod going all the way through to the clutch cover thrust bearing on the right, a cable operated clutch on the Ducati is activated from the right hand side.
Without a tried and tested kit the problems will be;
  • Getting the correct slave cylinder mounted and sealed onto the left side which will mean changing the sprocket cover too and opening up the casing to take the pushrod and seal.
  • Choosing the correct internal slave piston diameter for enough throw but still light lever feel. It's always a compromise and rarely you'll get both. Too light @ the lever and the clutch can drag
  • Choosing the correct pushrod length (allow for expansion to prevent slip) and replacing the clutch cover plate with thrust bearing.
  • The Master cylinder piston has to match the slave and there could be problems mounting switchgear and mirror.
Really I think it could be more hassle than it's worth and that's coming from someone who builds custom bikes where generally nothing is too much trouble but I wouldn't be arsed with this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, generally speaking hydraulic clutch activation (slave) fit to the left side of the engine beside the sprocket with a pushrod going all the way through to the clutch cover thrust bearing on the right, a cable operated clutch on the Ducati is activated from the right hand side.
Without a tried and tested kit the problems will be;
  • Getting the correct slave cylinder mounted and sealed onto the left side which will mean changing the sprocket cover too and opening up the casing to take the pushrod and seal.
  • Choosing the correct internal slave piston diameter for enough throw but still light lever feel. It's always a compromise and rarely you'll get both. Too light @ the lever and the clutch can drag
  • Choosing the correct pushrod length (allow for expansion to prevent slip) and replacing the clutch cover plate with thrust bearing.
  • The Master cylinder piston has to match the slave and there could be problems mounting switchgear and mirror.
Really I think it could be more hassle than it's worth and that's coming from someone who builds custom bikes where generally nothing is too much trouble but I wouldn't be arsed with this.
Thank you so much for the great comments!! I will def start out with new cable and adjustable lever and hopefully it will solve the problem!! Super stoked to get on this bike and RIDE!! Headed to Death Valley Next week to test her out!! Weeeeeee!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Drwalrus, heading out tomorrow morning(450 miles!). Staying three days. Taking the GS as I am not comfy going on a long ride on a bike I don't know yet. The Scrambler is for the next journey!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts