Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a surprise birthday gift of a 2015 Scrambler today!! SO happy!! I currently ride a BMW 700GS with hydraulic clutch and am looking to put one on the new bike. Magura made the one for the GS but they don't seem to do one for the Scrambler. Any suggested clutches?? Thanks so much in advance!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
No suggestions, but why do you need a hydraulic clutch at first modification? What's wrong with the stock one? Try it for some weeks first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No suggestions, but why do you need a hydraulic clutch at first modification? What's wrong with the stock one? Try it for some weeks first.
Thanks for the post! It's a long reach and hard to pull for me...I have small hands :( I have ridden for many many years and always have to mod my rides to accommodate my size and strength.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
With a bit of sourcing, you can convert it to hydraulic using only Ducati parts.

basically:
Clutch cover
Push rod
Slave cylinder
Hose
Master cylinder
(anything I overlooked @Hui ?)

That said, a new cable and an adjustable lever could just do the trick for a lot less... Scrambler clutches shouldn’t have a heavy pull...

succes!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
With a bit of sourcing, you can convert it to hydraulic using only Ducati parts.

basically:
Clutch cover
Push rod
Slave cylinder
Hose
Master cylinder
(anything I overlooked @Hui ?)

That said, a new cable and an adjustable lever could just do the trick for a lot less... Scrambler clutches shouldn’t have a heavy pull...

succes!
Well, generally speaking hydraulic clutch activation (slave) fit to the left side of the engine beside the sprocket with a pushrod going all the way through to the clutch cover thrust bearing on the right, a cable operated clutch on the Ducati is activated from the right hand side.
Without a tried and tested kit the problems will be;
  • Getting the correct slave cylinder mounted and sealed onto the left side which will mean changing the sprocket cover too and opening up the casing to take the pushrod and seal.
  • Choosing the correct internal slave piston diameter for enough throw but still light lever feel. It's always a compromise and rarely you'll get both. Too light @ the lever and the clutch can drag
  • Choosing the correct pushrod length (allow for expansion to prevent slip) and replacing the clutch cover plate with thrust bearing.
  • The Master cylinder piston has to match the slave and there could be problems mounting switchgear and mirror.
Really I think it could be more hassle than it's worth and that's coming from someone who builds custom bikes where generally nothing is too much trouble but I wouldn't be arsed with this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, generally speaking hydraulic clutch activation (slave) fit to the left side of the engine beside the sprocket with a pushrod going all the way through to the clutch cover thrust bearing on the right, a cable operated clutch on the Ducati is activated from the right hand side.
Without a tried and tested kit the problems will be;
  • Getting the correct slave cylinder mounted and sealed onto the left side which will mean changing the sprocket cover too and opening up the casing to take the pushrod and seal.
  • Choosing the correct internal slave piston diameter for enough throw but still light lever feel. It's always a compromise and rarely you'll get both. Too light @ the lever and the clutch can drag
  • Choosing the correct pushrod length (allow for expansion to prevent slip) and replacing the clutch cover plate with thrust bearing.
  • The Master cylinder piston has to match the slave and there could be problems mounting switchgear and mirror.
Really I think it could be more hassle than it's worth and that's coming from someone who builds custom bikes where generally nothing is too much trouble but I wouldn't be arsed with this.
Thank you so much for the great comments!! I will def start out with new cable and adjustable lever and hopefully it will solve the problem!! Super stoked to get on this bike and RIDE!! Headed to Death Valley Next week to test her out!! Weeeeeee!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Drwalrus, heading out tomorrow morning(450 miles!). Staying three days. Taking the GS as I am not comfy going on a long ride on a bike I don't know yet. The Scrambler is for the next journey!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I realize this is an old post, but according to their fitment guide, Magura does make one compatible with a 15/16 Scrambler (I have a ‘16 Icon), and Ducabike makes a conversion kit as well, that works with their clear clutch cover (which I have). I haven‘t been able to find the right Magura kit for sale though, which I’d prefer because the master cylinder is the squarish box type instead of the clear cup that’s on the Ducabike model. The main reason I want the conversion is that I’m constantly having to adjust my clutch on the Scrambler, and randomly can’t find neutral; it’s really annoying. I already have adjustable ASV shorty levers which I love, and it helped with pull and ease-of-reach, but didn’t solve the problem. (I also have a Bonneville T100 and never have issues with clutch adjustment or finding neutral.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Btw, helluva birthday present! Very nice looking ride!!!
Thank you so much for the comments. I am still hoping for something like this so I really appreciate your comments. I have a Magura on my adventure bike and love it. Will look into this!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
@Tamiam can you find a part number? I searched for a Magura fitment but found one for a HC1 or HC3 application. From this link https://www.magura.com/media/937919/magura_katalog_powersports_2017_en.pdf, you get part numbers e9*6054*. What is confusing about this is this appears to be only a master cylinder. Obviously this does no good when a cable still needs to be pulled. This make sense? I had a custom Hymec made for @drdeb for a previous moto (Moto Guzzi), so I'm sure anything is possible. I still have the custom Hymec from the Moto Guzzi, which I might be able to modify. I might give Magura USA a call next week. BTW, drdeb is my wife, so she is worth the effort here. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Oh, no! I thought that e9*6054 WAS the part number for the whole conversion kit, and it wasn’t even close to the part numbers of the other kits I was finding.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I might use the Ducabike slave since it’s made for the clear clutch cover. I already have the Ducabike actuator installed, so I’d just need to swap out the actuator with the slave. There’s a rod that goes from the clutch, thru the motor, and into the actuator or slave, so my actuator is already on the left side. What I will also need is the lever, master cylinder, reservoir, and hose to connect to the slave. Is the Magura slave adjustable? If it is, I’ll have to reconsider. :unsure:

First pic is the Ducabike slave. Second pic is the clear clutch cover I have (except mine is red). Third pic is the Ducabike hydraulic conversion kit. The conversion kit + slave are everything you need to go hydraulic; if they had adjustable, breakaway, shorty levers like my beloved ASVs, I’d just go this route.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts