Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite a horrendous weather forecast of monsoon-like rain and tornados, and almost taking my van instead of the bike, I went up to the beautiful Yorkshire Dales on the Scrambler and was so glad I did! I only got a slight soaking coming off the M6 bit then managed to avoid all rain (which included a fabulously hot Sunday, and arriving back at the B&B about 1 minute before the monsoon descended), then another dry day for the return trip :D.

What a beautiful county Yorkshire is :)

Iconic view of the Ribblehead Viaduct

P1010484.jpg

Posing at Hawes

P1010486.jpg

Typical dry stone wall scenery

P1010489.jpg

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
You're correct. Yorkshire is beautiful. I love living here. :)

But don't tell everyone or else they'll all want to come.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're correct. Yorkshire is beautiful. I love living here. :)

But don't tell everyone or else they'll all want to come.
Think they already know! Very touristy in parts but you can soon get away from them. My bike got a lot of attention, and lots of people saying ' that's the first one I've seen!' . Although one man at Hawes said he'd seen my bike at Devil's Bridge the day before, and he had just bought one :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Might head that way today. Wasn't too busy when I went a couple of weeks ago, though some forestry wagons were getting peed off with all the dawdling sightseers on the Ingleton-Hawes road and overtaking everywhere.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yorkshire with clear blue skies looks lovely in your pictures Gill. Some really good, technical roads that really test you on a bike. My favourite road that I have never perfected is Strines, between the A57 and A616 called Mortimers Road. It makes a loop with the woodhead and snake passes that make about 45 miles of really good riding.
We used to do two laps one in each direction by the light of the moon. Sadly don't get up that way anymore so pass it on to anyone who is passing. Take it easy at your first attemp and learn the road it's worth the effort. Not fast but tests your skills to the limit.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yorkshire with clear blue skies looks lovely in your pictures Gill. Some really good, technical roads that really test you on a bike. My favourite road that I have never perfected is Strines, between the A57 and A616 called Mortimers Road. It makes a loop with the woodhead and snake passes that make about 45 miles of really good riding.
We used to do two laps one in each direction by the light of the moon. Sadly don't get up that way anymore so pass it on to anyone who is passing. Take it easy at your first attemp and learn the road it's worth the effort. Not fast but tests your skills to the limit.
Been in that area many times but not on bike - I take it by technical you mean hairpins?? Bad enough in the daytime let alone at night - my night vision is cr*p even with the moon lol

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you done the road that goes from Lake Bala via Bwlch y Groes (Pass of the Cross) to Lake Vyrnwy? That's a bit of a tricky road with patches of gravel thrown in to take you unawares - but some fantastic views :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Gill take the pin lock out of your visor at night it's amazing the difference. I have also had to reset the headlight after messing with the suspension.

If you want a nice night run go south from Hamelin in Germany on some great sweeping roads for about six hours, stop when you get to Bavaria.

Are you out in Wales tomorrow?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Have you done the road that goes from Lake Bala via Bwlch y Groes (Pass of the Cross) to Lake Vyrnwy? That's a bit of a tricky road with patches of gravel thrown in to take you unawares - but some fantastic views :)
That's a great road, was on it last week.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
The last time I did the Strines was on a sports bike. It was rubbish as the road was rutted, poteholed and generally a bit shit for a sports bike.

But it'll be a different proposition on the Scrambler. In fact it'll be a blast on the Scrambler. Think I'll do that this weekend at some point :)

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
A little "off-topic", but...

I'm jealous of Britians back-country scenery - but decidedly less so of the gigantic license plates in your country (all of Europe, actually)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A little "off-topic", but...

I'm jealous of Britians back-country scenery - but decidedly less so of the gigantic license plates in your country (all of Europe, actually)
Yes they are a bit 'in your face' - but as they are a legal requirement we just have to put up with them or risk a fine! :rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts