Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there no exhaust options that connect before the cat and remain low slung? Are the pipes between the 800 and 1100 a different diameter?

Either way if there are no options available or in the works, what is the problem with buying an 800 slip on, fitting it correctly with connectors if needed and seeing if a remap is possible?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it such a small number sold because its a new model or no one has interest in a bigger scrambler? Maybe price reasons?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Seriously the 800 was/is popular for many reasons that the 1100 isn't, including the following.
The styling (imo just doesn't look half so good on the 1100).
Very suitable for shorter riders like me (not many bikes cater for us sub 5'6"s).

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm 5'7" so I am right on the cusp. I was dead set on getting the 800 until I rode the 1100. My heels touched the ground and it just felt like a bike I would not want more power out of after a couple of months. Also the gas gauge. Lack of a gas gauge was a big turnoff for me on the 800. Its true there is nowhere near as much of a community for the 1100 which is a big downside. But I'm hoping it is because of how young the model is.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I'm 5'7" so I am right on the cusp. I was dead set on getting the 800 until I rode the 1100. My heels touched the ground and it just felt like a bike I would not want more power out of after a couple of months. Also the gas gauge. Lack of a gas gauge was a big turnoff for me on the 800. Its true there is nowhere near as much of a community for the 1100 which is a big downside. But I'm hoping it is because of how young the model is.
I don't think they look too bad ;). I reckon in time more will sell, though I'm sure Ducati won't repeat the same success they had with the 800. The 800 sits in a very neat place in the market (IMO); a good looking retro-styled bike; big enough to look like a 'real' bike but not too big as Phil said; not crazy powerful for us returning riders / new riders (then I guess the 1100 isn't either?); for me a great commuter and bit of weekend fun.

Of course if this front piston-slap thing becomes an issue for Ducati's 1100s then all bets are off.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think they look too bad ;). I reckon in time more will sell, though I'm sure Ducati won't repeat the same success they had with the 800. The 800 sits in a very neat place in the market (IMO); a good looking retro-styled bike; big enough to look like a 'real' bike but not too big as Phil said; not crazy powerful for us returning riders / new riders (then I guess the 1100 isn't either?); for me a great commuter and bit of weekend fun.

Of course if this front piston-slap thing becomes an issue for Ducati's 1100s then all bets are off.
Yea I definitely need to know more about this piston slap issue. Is it not a problem on the 800's? I wish I knew exactly what it sounded like and a clip of it while someone is riding.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Yea I definitely need to know more about this piston slap issue. Is it not a problem on the 800's? I wish I knew exactly what it sounded like and a clip of it while someone is riding.
I'm not a high-mileage kinda guy (3000 - 4000km per year) due to many factors but aside from premature clutch wear I have had no issues of any significance* whatsoever.

I'm loving the 800 and will probably keep it a good few years (probably be longer if not only due to lack of a decent toy fund!) The engine is the usual slightly agricultural rattly thing I'm used to with Ducatis – runs like a dream though (if that's not an oxymoron!?)

*I've had a bit of an issue with the drain from the fuel tank getting blocked which shits me but is hardly the end of the world particularly as I try my best to avoid riding in the rain.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I wouldn't really like to say not being mechanically minded so much but next time I'm near the bike I'll fire it up and see. Just take note there are people on here who seem pretty savvy with their spanners so I'd be listening to those guys. Plus, mine is obviously a 800 – not sure if that should or does make a big difference.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I wouldn't really like to say not being mechanically minded so much but next time I'm near the bike I'll fire it up and see. Just take note there are people on here who seem pretty savvy with their spanners so I'd be listening to those guys. Plus, mine is obviously a 800 – not sure if that should or does make a big difference.
Hui for one.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So it looks like CW makes a low slung slip on for the 1100. And as always at a reasonable price. It says it comes with a servo eliminator. Does anyone have experience with that or know what it is?

Also, will this require an upmap? Will a shop know how to for this exhaust or is that something I can do myself with a power commander?

Scrambler 1100

WDSCR3a_364.jpg

·
Registered
794 Posts
Ser
So it looks like CW makes a low slung slip on for the 1100. And as always at a reasonable price. It says it comes with a servo eliminator. Does anyone have experience with that or know what it is?

Also, will this require an upmap? Will a shop know how to for this exhaust or is that something I can do myself with a power commander?

Scrambler 1100

View attachment 41719
Servo eliminator is something mechanicly or electronicly to fool te bike the exhaust valve that is in the up pipe is still there all though you will remove it for the low slung pipe.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
So, outside but in a fairly small walled yard my 800 doesn't sound like this. If anything mine is more 'tappety' which is pretty normal for Dukes I'd say. Sorry not much help.

Plus remember my caveat from above ^^^
Thanks. It would be good to hear a recording of your bike with the phone moving around the engine and the motorcycle itself to hear the different angles. We should post this in skippys thread about the engine slap: https://www.scramblerforum.com/threads/piston-slap-who-has-it-and-what-is-going-on.38615/

It would be good to hear everyones bike. Although I'm not sure if he would appreciate an 800 thrown in there. But I think it would give us a good perspective of what a normal Duc air cooled engine (without dry clutch) sounds like. If all of the 1100's in the forum have this slapping its hard to know.

Ser

Servo eliminator is something mechanicly or electronicly to fool te bike the exhaust valve that is in the up pipe is still there all though you will remove it for the low slung pipe.
Thanks for the info, I was wondering about the valve. That explains it.

So that has nothing to do with an upmap. I assume this exhaust will require an upmap which is not provided?

I'm also assuming if I go ahead and install it without a new mapping that I will be losing power and doing damage in the long term?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Thanks. It would be good to hear a recording of your bike with the phone moving around the engine and the motorcycle itself to hear the different angles. We should post this in skippys thread about the engine slap: https://www.scramblerforum.com/threads/piston-slap-who-has-it-and-what-is-going-on.38615/

It would be good to hear everyones bike. Although I'm not sure if he would appreciate an 800 thrown in there. But I think it would give us a good perspective of what a normal Duc air cooled engine (without dry clutch) sounds like. If all of the 1100's in the forum have this slapping its hard to know.

Thanks for the info, I was wondering about the valve. That explains it.

So that has nothing to do with an upmap. I assume this exhaust will require an upmap which is not provided?

I'm also assuming if I go ahead and install it without a new mapping that I will be losing power and doing damage in the long term?
Just ask what Competition Werkes has to say about it. Some ad a booster plug or get an upmap. You should have a map for a cat less system(like the Termi race system)and you probably would be fine but there aren't many companies that can flash the ECU at this moment I guess.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just ask what Competition Werkes has to say about it. Some ad a booster plug or get an upmap. You should have a map for a cat less system(like the Termi race system)and you probably would be fine but there aren't many companies that can flash the ECU at this moment I guess.
I need to clarify because I couldnt deduce from your post:
I should be fine without a map?
Or I should be fine if I used an upmap for a termi full exhaust?

·
Registered
794 Posts
I need to clarify because I couldnt deduce from your post:
I should be fine without a map?
Or I should be fine if I used an upmap for a termi full exhaust?
Sorry bit unclear. First ask what CW says and if they say you should have an upmap you should go for one that is suitable for a cat less system. I doubt you'll find a place that can make you a custom map at this moment.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts