Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm thinking of buying the 2019 Icon - I'm new to Ducati. I live in a small island with lanes and urban traffic, very few straight lines. So I am worried about low speed performance as I heard about the snatchy feel of the Scrambler. Does anyone know if the 2019 version has addressed this problem? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Hi Andy. The snatchiness, tbh, has been somewhat exaggerated in my opinion and only really affects the earlier models anyway (Pre-2017/8 I forget the exact year it changed).

I, like many, got used to it fairly quickly (I have a 2015 Icon) and don't even think about it anymore. A few folk that bought the 'tamer' 2019 models have tried searching out a <2018 throttle tube to replace the re-profiled version.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
The snatchyness is a reminder to use proper rear brake/clutch/throttle control in low speed corners and turns.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It's quite well behaved at low speeds, especially compared to other Ducati models, my old Monster 800 was a pig, heavy clutch, jerky throttle, unhappy below 3,000 revs... the Scrambler can cruise around town at low speeds once you've got used to its feel, but if you want an even smoother ride you can fit a custom throttle tube, like the G2 throttle tamer. I fitted one and it's made cornering much smoother.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Can you get yourself a demo ride, Andy? A few minutes of slow speed riding in a parking lot will help you decide.

Sarah

·
Registered
17 Posts
I used to own a 2015 Icon with a Throttle tamer and a Slip On and it was an absolute nightmare in traffic. I recently upgraded to a 2019 Icon and I am much, much, MUCH happier with it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It was for me, but I do think that the jerkiness issue on 1st gear was aggravated by the Slip On.

I truly enjoy my 2019 Icon a lot more at slow speeds.

Edit: The slip on in question is a Zard exhaust which I kept and re installed on my new bike

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
What's the handle bar mod? Is it taking the rubber section out?
I believe it is fitting those comfy overgrips. Certainly improved, acceleration, braking, handling and top speed on my bike. Jerkiness disappeared completely. Got them from someone on this forum who didn't know how to fit them.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Sorry, grip puppies improve acceleration, braking, handling and top speed. Right.

(Could also simply reduce the stiction in the throttle tube)

·
Registered
43 Posts
What's the handle bar mod? Is it taking the rubber section out?
its isolating the rubbers by putting some washers under the stem, super easy to do and will improve handling a lot.
There is a post on the other scrambler forum about this
google The best free Scrambler modification or your money back!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have an early model 2018 Icon that I put the Full Throttle/Desert Sled bars (available as Ducati Accessory) on right away. I've never had a problem with low speeds, on off throttle. I'm not sure if the bars have much to do with it. Only mentioned it because a few other folks are talking about handle bars having an affect here. These bikes are pretty soft 0%-50% throttle and below 6,000 rpm. I can't comment on prior year models as I haven't ridden any. Good luck and hope you get one and love it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts