Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped my DS riding on some dirt roads the other day, taking it easy and checking out the scenery. I hit a patch of sand going about 5-10 mph. It grabbed the front tire and stopped me. I dropped the bike on its right side, though I basically lowered it to the ground. I hit the kill switch, stood it up, and looked it over. Dusty, a couple scratches on the barkbuster, that's about it. Or so I thought. I noticed my rear brake was kinda weird. I finally looked at it today. The bracket that holds the brake switch was bent up into the engine case, It kinked the wire going into the switch. I was able to bend everything roughly back in place. I noticed the switch is toast, I've already ordered a new one from Ducati Omaha. My issue I really have, as the bike is rideable without the switch, is my tail light and brake lights don't work. Even the front brake doesn't cause the light to come one. Could this be related to the switch being broken? I'd also like to point out it's a bad design for an "off-road" bike to have the rear brake switch in such a precarious position.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I dropped my DS riding on some dirt roads the other day, taking it easy and checking out the scenery. I hit a patch of sand going about 5-10 mph. It grabbed the front tire and stopped me. I dropped the bike on its right side, though I basically lowered it to the ground. I hit the kill switch, stood it up, and looked it over. Dusty, a couple scratches on the barkbuster, that's about it. Or so I thought. I noticed my rear brake was kinda weird. I finally looked at it today. The bracket that holds the brake switch was bent up into the engine case, It kinked the wire going into the switch. I was able to bend everything roughly back in place. I noticed the switch is toast, I've already ordered a new one from Ducati Omaha. My issue I really have, as the bike is rideable without the switch, is my tail light and brake lights don't work. Even the front brake doesn't cause the light to come one. Could this be related to the switch being broken? I'd also like to point out it's a bad design for an "off-road" bike to have the rear brake switch in such a precarious position.
It's totally rideable, the switch controls only the brake light. If you're ride on street and the abs light doesn't light up it means nothing wrong happened to the brake system. Usually off road bikes don't have brake light. Dual purpose bikes most have them just for the street legal certification. It's not bad design it's just not meant to have does switches jaja just as the big catalytic converter in the exhaust and the easily breakable turn lights.

Enviado desde mi PAR-LX9 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's totally rideable, the switch controls only the brake light. If you're ride on street and the abs light doesn't light up it means nothing wrong happened to the brake system. Usually off road bikes don't have brake light. Dual purpose bikes most have them just for the street legal certification. It's not bad design it's just not meant to have does switches jaja just as the big catalytic converter in the exhaust and the easily breakable turn lights.

It’s not the ABS. It’s the brake light in the back. The regular tail light isn’t lighting up either.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's just the switch, don't worry. When it arrives you can plug it yourself it's really easy and the tail light and brake light will start working again.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I take my ds off road all the time and I have dropped it several times in low speed and its amazing how nothing happend. It's really strong. I had several brake and clutch levers and pedals bend but nothing more. It's an awesome bike.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Do you know which one? All the other lights work just fine. It’s just the tail and brake light
If the tail lamp and the brake lamp are both not working then I’ll guess that it’s not the brake lamp switch. Could you have dislodged any wiring when trying to pick the bike up ? Possibly by putting your hand under the seat to lift, that’s where the tail-light wires run.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I had an issue with my 1100 when fitting a Healtech brake light modulator. Apparently if the ECU detects a fault as in your switch it cuts off the power to the brake light to protect it. Don’t know if this is what’s happening but it’s worth thinking through.
These Ducati’s have some weird things going on.
You will probably find that as mentioned above, if you just fit a new switch everything will be OK.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
So, a faulty brake light switch is going to prevent the tail light from working ? Well well, who would’ve guessed that.

·
Registered
73 Posts
So, a faulty brake light switch is going to prevent the tail light from working ? Well well, who would’ve guessed that.
They share wiring, usually when something in the line fails it interrupt everything in the line to prevent an overvoltage

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
They share wiring, usually when something in the line fails it interrupt everything in the line to prevent an overvoltage

Don’t think so, the only thing they could share is the earth which would include the indicators plus a break in the connection of the one circuit does not create more voltage in another otherwise just by switching it off would cause a problem. The marker/tail light are not inline as you suggest anyway.
Possibly a blown fuse if the brake and tail share one but that’s not normal. Cause by a short at the brake pedal switch.
Maybe you could explain how your over-voltage theory works exactly so that I have a better understanding of it. Please include the voltage regulator and how LED lamps work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After looking at the schematic in the owners manual, it looks like all those systems are controlled by the ABS controller. Problem is all the lines are black in the books, so you don’t really know what turns where. If that’s the case though, the lack of power or ground through the switch could cause a disconnect back to the ABS controller causing the tail light to stay out. Hopefully I can get the switch delivered and installed sometime this week and let you all know how it works out.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
After looking at the schematic in the owners manual, it looks like all those systems are controlled by the ABS controller. Problem is all the lines are black in the books, so you don’t really know what turns where. If that’s the case though, the lack of power or ground through the switch could cause a disconnect back to the ABS controller causing the tail light to stay out. Hopefully I can get the switch delivered and installed sometime this week and let you all know how it works out.
Does the stop light work when using the front brake?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Don’t think so, the only thing they could share is the earth which would include the indicators plus a break in the connection of the one circuit does not create more voltage in another otherwise just by switching it off would cause a problem. The marker/tail light are not inline as you suggest anyway.
Possibly a blown fuse if the brake and tail share one but that’s not normal. Cause by a short at the brake pedal switch.
Maybe you could explain how your over-voltage theory works exactly so that I have a better understanding of it. Please include the voltage regulator and how LED lamps work.
I could test it on the tail and brake light specific because it has waterproofed connection and didn't wanted to break the seal but for example the grip warmers. The connection are below the gas tank. If one of the grips is not working properly the other one deactivates as well. Can you perform this test on you're DS to see if it's correct please

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It was a fuse. I'm guessing when the sensor wire got kinked against the engine case, it shorted out. All is right in the world.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts