Ducati Scrambler Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm new here looking for some advice.

My wife and I are looking to buy two D Scramblers. We travelled for 2 years through Sth and Central Americas on 2 KTM690 enduros. My wife is 5'4" and 50kg so her KTM was significantly lowered, the springs / fork oil changed. Not perfect, But it worked brilliantly as we wern't looking to jump over ravines or race down the rock strewed paths, getting to a few remote sights or tackling rough roads was the main idea and it worked for us.
Now looking for a relaxed tour of Europe and UK over 2 to 3 months at a time with some trails and easier parts of the Euro Trans Trail. Would like to share tools/ parts etc so similar bikes help. Would prefer the smoothness of a relaxed twin over a thumper and the Sramblers meet most of our requirements (lightish, fun, relaxed, smallish).
For my wife the Icon and classic are a great fit. However, the Sled has all the things she wants, beefier frame, suspension, better offroad wheels, etc. To lower the sled we need a quality shorter shock, possibly just lighter springs anyway and a lower seat. 790mm to 800mm would be ideal, we appreciate the need for balancing front and rear and loss of ground clearence.
For the classic a better shock and springs front and rear for her weight 50kg.a good bash plate and a screen.. cheaper to buy and possible upgrade? We are also looking at the Urban Enduro but there aren't to many around and will still need similar updates, I think ?
Anyone considered upgrading a Classic to make it a little more offroad friendly
We can't stregthern the frame of the Classic but she is possibly light and will carry a max 30kg. Your thoughts would be welcome
Looking for some pointers and points to consider. We are in Sth West England.

Any small light people had experince of changing springs etc to better influence the damping etc. Recommendations please.

PS The Scramblers just look great. Many thanks to all those who post, the information has been terrific.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have used both bikes. In your situation, I would go with a classic. Upgrade the suspension, add a bash plate and it should do the trick. It's not the best bike for off roading or traveling as you are aware but it's light and very easy to ride. Frame should be fine unless you are really throwing the bike around.
I love the DS. I love the ground clearance and the suspension but once you remove those, classic makes more sense.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts